Brass Napoleon Award CWT Chickamauga 2018- We're going live

Who knows?
Yesterday I would have said no chance... but last night, when I told Dirk about the reunion and showed him the photos he said if there will be a reunion again next year we might come over for just a week or so, as we have to take our longer vacation in summer.
So, there is hope again here to see you all again, and maybe even before I will retire in 8 years.
I promise, I'll keep my fingers crossed!

Have a great time you all and thank you for letting us be part of your adventure!
You can retire at age 40 in Germany.

Well...the tour has officially ended and the troops have disbursed. A few of us have made our way to the Visitor Center. Thanks again to @uaskme for stepping up and delivering a great presentation on Longstreet's Breakthrough. We were in the field for 2.5 hours and the weather was great this morning. He brought a set of maps which were very helpful following the narrative and orienting ourselves on the Battlefield. It was just a great way to end the tour.

I am grinning from ear-to-ear right now. I would say it was a successful campaign. From here I am going into Chattanooga for a few hours then heading home. Taking a lot of memories and a lesser amount of souvenirs. :smile:

I think they're considering Vicksburg. @major bill asked in the other (planning) thread and IIRC @bdtex threw out Vicksburg. Would also fit with the "forgotten" IMO.

Well now ... way too far away yet to make any sort of commitment but a Vicksburg trip is appealing, especially if @FarawayFriend were going to be there. I've always wanted to visit the land of the Delta blues and that's it. I could fly into Memphis and drive down through Clarksdale, MS and do a couple of days there, then drive down to Vicksburg. As it happens, I went to boarding school with one of the Stovall boys, whose family owned the plantation where Muddy Waters was born. Unfortunately, he died some time ago in a car wreck but it's possible the family might let me see his grave (in the family cemetery on the plantation) and what's left of Muddy's cabin (mostly got knocked down by a hurricane - can be seen from the highway but you may not actually approach it).

Now, that could be a trip - Memphis, Clarksdale, and Vicksburg.

Last edited:
Made a quick trip back into the field before heading back to the hotel to find the Brigade Marker for my ancestor in the 40th Alabama Infantry and their action on 9/18/1863. Found it. Then drove over to Alexander's Bridge. Been here twice and hadn't been there yet.

IMG_20181028_121639558_HDR.jpg

Back