CWT Chickamauga 2018 Tour - the official thread

If I needed to come alone, I would shorten my stay. Would someone be available to get me from an airport or should I still plan on renting a car?
If that scenario occurs, we would be happy to take you to the airport in Chattanooga or Birmingham. Unfortunately, we wont be going towards Atlanta if that is where you are flying in and out.

Conversely, avoid at all costs any temptation you may have to stay at downtown Chattanooga's Chatanooga Choo Choo - it's a now somewhat seedy collection of old train cars parked at the no-longer-used RR station that also serve as accommodations. What sounded like a clever idea was ruined by their not using actual Pullman cars designed for sleeping, but just old passenger cars with seats removed, partitioned in the middle to create two suites, and furnished with regular cheap motel furniture.
I booked all my nights here!! J/K

I would fly into Chattanooga or Birmingham, so I really, really appreciate this!
Ohhhhh. I forgot to mention....Rocky (my husbands Diabetes alert dog and master of the battlefield) will be travelling with us. You aren't allergic to dogs are you?
Rocky and Bachelle dog.jpg

A visit to the Chattanooga/Chickamauga areas should include visits to CW sites south and west of the National Park places.
Specifically the CW student should visit Bridgeport Alabama on the Tennessee River; should cross Lookout Mountain west of Trenton Georgia; should visit Davis Crossroads and McLemore's Cove and approach Chickamauga NMP from the south as the Union army did. Ideally one should drive west across Walden Mt towards Tullahoma TN. All of this will give a greater appreciation of what challenges the Army of the Cumberland faced in trying to get to Chattanooga. Chickamauga and Chattanooga are the tail ends of the story. Usually one like to start at the beginning. The link to the topographical map gives an idea of the terrain and extent of the Chickamuaga Campaign area. https://www.google.com/maps/@35.0017195,-85.7172812,10z/data=!5m1!1e4?hl=en

A visit to the Chattanooga/Chickamauga areas should include visits to CW sites south and west of the National Park places.
Specifically the CW student should visit Bridgeport Alabama on the Tennessee River; should cross Lookout Mountain west of Trenton Georgia; should visit Davis Crossroads and McLemore's Cove and approach Chickamauga NMP from the south as the Union army did. Ideally one should drive west across Walden Mt towards Tullahoma TN. All of this will give a greater appreciation of what challenges the Army of the Cumberland faced in trying to get to Chattanooga. Chickamauga and Chattanooga are the tail ends of the story. Usually one like to start at the beginning. The link to the topographical map gives an idea of the terrain and extent of the Chickamuaga Campaign area. https://www.google.com/maps/@35.0017195,-85.7172812,10z/data=!5m1!1e4?hl=en
3-4 days there is probably not enough time for that. We will be at Chickamauga NMP all day Saturday,Sunday morning and most likely part of the day on Friday.

Just saw on the Facebook page of Chickamauga and Chattanooga NMP that they have contractors clearing the Point Park side of Lookout Mountain to open up the view. Can't wait to go there in October and walk some trails. Y'all are gonna have to keep an eye on me. I'll wander off. :D

3-4 days there is probably not enough time for that. We will be at Chickamauga NMP all day Saturday,Sunday morning and most likely part of the day on Friday.
Just making a suggestion. However I think it’s important to experience the geography to understand why Rosecrans decided he had to divide his army in order to deceive Bragg. People could do it in their own. Chattanooga really requires a week to visit. Most interesting CW site in the country IMO.

Are there any recommended restaurants near the Hampton Inn? Thanks,
I don't know of any restaurants near there other than what I can pull up on Google. Others in this thread are more knowledgeable about the local cuisine. We are still searching for a suitable place for a group dinner on Friday or Saturday night. Good thread bump.

Time for a bump. Anyone got anything new to add? Anyone make reservations at the hotel but not announce it here yet. So far we have 4 persons who have volunteered to guide a tour session. Anyone else wanna guide a tour or make some kind of presentation?

Back