CWT Chickamauga 2018 Tour - the official thread

Just booked our flights.
If we survive not being eaten by bears in Yellow Stone we're planning to arrive a few days before and hope to tag along on the Lookout Mountain /Missionary Ridge trip.
Sorry I don't own a gun but I'll be bringing the wife who's a black belt in Origami and give's a mean paper cut. :cautious: :biggrin:
Outstanding.

Just added Wednesday night to my reservations. Staying in Ringgold Wednesday night-Saturday night and checking out on Sunday. 12 hour drive from my house to Ringgold. Probably leave very early on Tuesday and drive straight to Vicksburg and spend the rest of that day and night there.

Okay. Got an email from my contact person at the hotel today. So far we have 12 reservations made out of our block of 20 rooms. 8 rooms are booked for 2 nights,2 for 3 nights,1 for 4 nights(that's me :smile: ) and 1 for 5 nights. Keep 'em coming.

I think my husband and I are the 5 nights. We are planning on flying on Wednesday, seeing something of Ruby Falls and the area on Thursday - Friday/Saturday/Sunday - doing the CW thing and flying out Monday back to NH. So two of us.

I do say this with all caution. He has very fragile, elderly parents. We've already engaged reliable help for October. If I needed to come alone, I would shorten my stay. Would someone be available to get me from an airport or should I still plan on renting a car?

DSC01488.JPG

I think my husband and I are the 5 nights. We are planning on flying on Wednesday, seeing something of Ruby Falls and the area on Thursday - Friday/Saturday/Sunday - doing the CW thing and flying out Monday back to NH. So two of us.

I do say this with all caution. He has very fragile, elderly parents. We've already engaged reliable help for October. If I needed to come alone, I would shorten my stay. Would someone be available to get me from an airport or should I still plan on renting a car?

Since you're interested in going to Ruby Falls anyway, might I put in a plug for a place atop Lookout Mountain during my last visit in 2014, Chanticleer Inn B&B. I had previously stayed there on my honeymoon back in 1968 (!) and since then it's become even more charming. It's right outside the equally famous/notorious Rock City (owned and operated along with Ruby Falls) so is easy to find. After Rock City closes it's a quiet neighborhood and only a few miles from that "must-see" Point Park.

DSC01490.JPG

Above, the old rock "tourist court" has been completely remodeled into the B & B; below, one of the many denizens - on my honeymoon I remember watching what may have been this one's ancestor!

DSC01487a.jpg

Conversely, avoid at all costs any temptation you may have to stay at downtown Chattanooga's Chatanooga Choo Choo - it's a now somewhat seedy collection of old train cars parked at the no-longer-used RR station that also serve as accommodations. What sounded like a clever idea was ruined by their not using actual Pullman cars designed for sleeping, but just old passenger cars with seats removed, partitioned in the middle to create two suites, and furnished with regular cheap motel furniture.

James, my sister took me to this place about 10-years-ago when she lived in Alabama. I was visiting and we drove to Scottsboro and made this trip to Lookout Mountain. The Chanticleer is beautiful! I'd love to stay there but wouldn't it discombobulate the reservations and free room for the speaker, etc, at The Hampton Inn? Plus, aren't we all meeting at the same time in the mornings to get out to the battlefield(s)?

I had the chance to visit the battleground this past week. The area was rain-soaked but still had a great visit. I am so glad that I made the trip as the area that I have the greatest interest in is heavily wooded and several features are hidden when the leaves are on. Oh, yes the wildflowers are starting to come into bloom.

I am so glad that I made the trip as the area that I have the greatest interest in is heavily wooded and several features are hidden when the leaves are on.
Is that generally the condition in late October?

James, my sister took me to this place about 10-years-ago when she lived in Alabama. I was visiting and we drove to Scottsboro and made this trip to Lookout Mountain. The Chanticleer is beautiful! I'd love to stay there but wouldn't it discombobulate the reservations and free room for the speaker, etc, at The Hampton Inn? Plus, aren't we all meeting at the same time in the mornings to get out to the battlefield(s)?
I thought I understood you to say you were arriving early and mainly to see the sights at Lookout Mountain and around Chattanooga. So my suggestion was assuming you had never been there before and were doing this apart from the group - of course you're right about things if you're intending to join us on the "tour"!

I thought I understood you to say you were arriving early and mainly to see the sights at Lookout Mountain and around Chattanooga. So my suggestion was assuming you had never been there before and were doing this apart from the group - of course you're right about things if you're intending to join us on the "tour"!
I was pretty sure that's how you meant it and I knew you'd be along shortly to say so. I like the new avatar.

Of course we are joining the tour!!! I haven't been plowing through David Powell book for nothing!:giggle: It's going to take us most of the day on Wednesday to fly down and get a car and get to the Hotel. That leaves us Thursday and Friday morning before the group starts to arrive. But I really appreciate you putting in the pictures and suggesting it. Has it changed a lot, in your opinion, from when you had your honeymoon there? Obviously it wasn't a B&B but it seems pretty timeless to me.

Of course we are joining the tour!!! I haven't been plowing through David Powell book for nothing!:giggle: It's going to take us most of the day on Wednesday to fly down and get a car and get to the Hotel. That leaves us Thursday and Friday morning before the group starts to arrive. But I really appreciate you putting in the pictures and suggesting it. Has it changed a lot, in your opinion, from when you had your honeymoon there? Obviously it wasn't a B&B but it seems pretty timeless to me.
It had been so long it was hard for me to remember exactly, but I think the rooms are nicer now and the main building is now offices and breakfast room. The overall setting there just outside Rock City probably hasn't changed very much though.

Back