CWT Chickamauga 2018 Tour - the official thread

My Grandparents lived in Rossville Ga 1/2 mile from the battlefield, my little brother and I used to spend endless hour trooping the battlefield. Ive spent many a weekend relic hunting there. (I will the detector at home) The first weekend trip I spent with my first wife was to Chickamauge. Between there and Chattanooga it will be a GREAT event and I will be there with bells on. I really think we will need a photo of us at Lookout Mountain with all the Yankees in the front. :D

View attachment 164398
I plan to drive and arrive a few days early. Went to Lookout Mountain in June 2016 but it was a group tour and I didn't get to stay as long as I'd have liked. Wanna go back and go to Missionary Ridge too. I feel the draw of a return trip to Tunnel Hill also.

I plan to drive and arrive a few days early. Went to Lookout Mountain in June 2016 but it was a group tour and I didn't get to stay as long as I'd have liked. Wanna go back and go to Missionary Ridge too. I feel the draw of a return trip to Tunnel Hill also.
Ruby Falls is a must see,not Civil War related but who ever heard of a very large waterfall inside the middle of a mountain.

OH!!!!!.....and please don't forget to see Ruby Falls and Rock City.

Ruby Falls is awesome! I was there in 1978 and still it is my gold standard of visiting a cave. The greatest moment was when the cave went totally dark and then a spotlight showed where the guys who discovered the cave came in.
You all will so enjoy the reunion! I wished I could be with you!

I would love to attend if I can get moved to Tenn by then. Just a little history. It was John T. Wilder and with the help o Eli Lilly helped make the park. Both men realized that the battle field needed to be remembered. The dedication drew men from the North and South.

I would love to attend if I can get moved to Tenn by then. Just a little history. It was John T. Wilder and with the help o Eli Lilly helped make the park. Both men realized that the battle field needed to be remembered. The dedication drew men from the North and South.

I don't know who Wilder is, but Mr. Lilly is still with us. He was quite a character, one more reason to visit the Chickamauga battlefield!

I am so very looking forward to this trip! First timer down that way!
Looking forward to welcoming you to one of the Southern battlefields. :wavespin::D:wavespin:

I think I owe you and @rpkennedy a lunch (or dinner depending on when you arrive) from the 2016 Gettysburg event so be sure to let me know what day/time you plan to arrive.

Let me know when you will arrive. I can come up a couple of days early too.

Ruby Falls is a must see,not Civil War related but who ever heard of a very large waterfall inside the middle of a mountain.

@nitrofd is correct! Ruby Falls is a large underground waterfall inside a mountain and it's spectacular.

The glass-roofed Incline Railway up the side of Lookout Mountain is pretty incredible too!

And there's a very nice Aquarium in downtown Chattanooga.

There really is something for everyone in Chattanooga and vicinity so everyone be sure to bring your spouses and families!
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ5n7xQj5jcskD_L-PiE1CfmO288gfukrgQaVPRU3930rNZtlj5.jpg
upload_2017-11-5_21-51-45.jpeg
upload_2017-11-5_21-52-34.jpeg

Last edited:
Looking forward to welcoming you to one of the Southern battlefields. :wavespin::D:wavespin:

I think I owe you and @rpkennedy a lunch (or dinner depending on when you arrive) from the 2016 Gettysburg event so be sure to let me know what day/time you plan to arrive.

@nitrofd is correct! Ruby Falls is a large underground waterfall inside a mountain and it's spectacular.

The glass-roofed Incline Railway up the side of Lookout Mountain is pretty incredible too!

There really is something for everyone in Chattanooga and vicinity so everyone be sure to bring your spouses and families!
View attachment 164562View attachment 164560View attachment 164561

I likely won't be able to attend, unfortunately. My parents retired to Oregon to be near my sister and her family this year and visiting them will be our big trip next year. If you and yours are ever up this way, though, we'll get together.

Ryan

View attachment 164562View attachment 164560View attachment 164561

Forgot about the TN aquarium. That is very nice as well

Take the incline railway up to the top of Lookout Mountain is also a must if you have never been there before.my wife refuses to go up it again as she is not fond of heights.she refused to take the cable car to the top of Stone Mountain so my granddaughter and I made her wait about two hours while we were on top,.

Last edited:
Tell incline railway up to the top of Lookout Mountain is also a must if you have never been there before.my wife refuses to go up it again as she is not fond of heights.she refused to take the cable car to the top of Stone Mountain so my granddaughter and I made her about two hours while we were on top,.

I could not get my mom to go up it either. She cried on the ride down the elevator into Ruby Falls too.

And don't forget to watch the visitor center video. It is by far one of the best around, besides maybe Kennesaw. It was made a couple years ago with top notch research, authenticity, and attention to detail. This isn't your "John Wayne whitewashed someone filmed a bad reenactment with crappy voiceover video".

Plus, myself and @CheathamHill are prominently featured.

Back