CWT Chickamauga 2018- After Action Reports

img_2670-jpg.jpg

Finally got round to sorting through some of our pics.
Fortunately for us we arrived two days early and toured the battlefield while the weather was still sunny.
I love your photo of the Douglas' Texas Battery cannon and markers; on a previous trip to Chickamauga back in the '80's I made a special effort to find these, fairly deep and obscure in the woods as I remember them being, but my poor photos turned out nothing like this!

img_2670-jpg.jpg

I love your photo of the Douglas' Texas Battery cannon and markers; on a previous trip to Chickamauga back in the '80's I made a special effort to find these, fairly deep and obscure in the woods as I remember them being, but my poor photos turned out nothing like this!
Yeah. His pictures from a coupla days before the tour started are very good.

Early morning meet up at the Brotherton Cabin with @uaskme for the tour of Longstreet's Breakthrough.
I had read David A Powell's book ' Glory or the Grave' just before leaving the U.K but actually being in the location and having the troop movements explained really brought the horrors of the battle home.

IMG_2808.JPG

Gen. Bushrod R. Johnson
IMG_2809.JPG

IMG_2811.JPG

A great day was had by all.
Thanks Guys.
IMG_2813.JPG

Part of Norman Dasinger. Jr tour was how to load and fire a cannon ( or not ?? ).
A gun crew was chosen at random and included James N. , @bdtex , @lelliott19 , @KLSDAD , @22ndGa @Desert Kid @GaryV
The fun bit for the rest of us was watching James valiant attempt to turn the 'gun crew' into veterans in 2 mins flat.
Had a little fun with these pics, hope no one is offended. :laugh:
IMG_2786a.jpg

IMG_2788a.jpg

IMG_2785a.jpg

IMG_2787b.jpg

Part of Norman Dasinger. Jr tour was how to load and fire a cannon ( or not ?? ).
A gun crew was chosen at random and included James N. , @bdtex , @lelliott19 , @KLSDAD , @22ndGa @Desert Kid @GaryV
The fun bit for the rest of us was watching James valiant attempt to turn the 'gun crew' into veterans in 2 mins flat.
View attachment 210743

View attachment 210744

View attachment 210745

View attachment 210746
:rofl: Awesome! :thumbsup:

Did you all feel you were artillery vets after the 2 minutes lesson? :wink: :whistling: :D

Love how James N. shows the correct foot position in front of the gun. I first read about that posture in Bud Robertson's bio on Stonewall. As I had trouble to understand where Jackson had difficulties during his first artillery lesson at West Point, I simply tried it out myself. That little visualization practice did wonders in ingraining that short episode of Stonewall's life in my brain. :laugh:

James was the Artillery expert of the group, although, if I'm not mistaken I think @bdtex has also fired a cannon.

It took considerably longer than 2 mins, I'm sure the Yanks would've over run us and been 2 miles in our rear before we even fired.:wink::biggrin:

I have a video of my live firing in Windows Media Player format but I haven't figured out how to upload it in CWT.

DSC06454.JPG
Pyramid of cannonballs designating Braxton Bragg's headquarters at the onset of the Chickamauga Campaign.

Meeting up at the John B Gordon Hall in Lafayette for Norman Dasinger, Jr all day tour of Chickamauga.
I suppose I really should contribute my photos from this part of the tour as well - unfortunately they didn't turn out as well as I'd have liked. The ones from the battlefield were more to my liking and I've already posted them in the thread linked above. These first are all from Lafayette.

DSC06453.JPG

John B. Gordon Hall which served as Bragg's Headquarters.

DSC06455.JPG
Above and below, the Marsh House used at various times as headquarters and hospital.

DSC06458.JPG

DSC06456.JPG

Above and below, details of Lafayette's Confederate Monument.

DSC06457.JPG

Crawfish Springs
DSC06459.JPG

The spring which gives the town of Crawfish Springs its name.

DSC06461.JPG
2016 monument to the men of Co. H, 26th Tennessee Regiment, which somehow became re-designated Co. I of the 1st Georgia?!?

DSC06462.JPG
Crawfish Springs served as the headquarters of William Rosecrans' Union Army of the Cumberland at the outset of the campaign. He initially occupied the brick house barely visible in the far distant background.

Lee & Gordon's Mill
DSC06464.JPG

I had taken better photos this April when I visited here very briefly during my whirlwind excursion, so was pretty careless this time - above, the postwar mill; below, the millrace running full due to the recent rains.

DSC06463.JPG

View attachment 210743

View attachment 210744

View attachment 210745

View attachment 210746

Don't stand behind that wheel ya'll - you'll get runded over. Otherwise a fine-looking crew. Mighty fine indeed.

Don't stand behind that wheel ya'll - you'll get runded over. Otherwise a fine-looking crew. Mighty fine indeed.
Thanks John. We did later receive coaching and correction on our technique in which we were told to stand away from the wheels.......after we would have been run over by them. :D Everyone was a good sport - especially James N. who would get one of us performing almost flawlessly <or not:nah disagree:> and then another one of us would mess up <again.>

It was hilarious! :bounce:Since it was a CS artillery position, we did joke that the Yankees would have had quite a laugh at our expense had they been there to witness the charade. :rofl:

James was the Artillery expert of the group, although, if I'm not mistaken I think @bdtex has also fired a cannon.

It took considerably longer than 2 mins, I'm sure the Yanks would've over run us and been 2 miles in our rear before we even fired.:wink::biggrin:
I was in charge (don't remember my title) at first but realized that James N. was better suited! I traded him my rank for that of shell-deliverer (don't remember that title either).

:rofl: Awesome! :thumbsup:

Did you all feel you were artillery vets after the 2 minutes lesson? :wink: :whistling: :D

Love how James N. shows the correct foot position in front of the gun. I first read about that posture in Bud Robertson's bio on Stonewall. As I had trouble to understand where Jackson had difficulties during his first artillery lesson at West Point, I simply tried it out myself. That little visualization practice did wonders in ingraining that short episode of Stonewall's life in my brain. :laugh:
Thanks John. We did later receive coaching and correction on our technique in which we were told to stand away from the wheels.......after we would have been run over by them. :D Everyone was a good sport - especially James N. who would get one of us performing almost flawlessly <or not:nah disagree:> and then another one of us would mess up <again.>

It was hilarious! :bounce:Since it was a CS artillery position, we did joke that the Yankees would have had quite a laugh at our expense had they been there to witness the charade. :rofl:
I was in charge (don't remember my title) at first but realized that James N. was better suited! I traded him my rank for that of shell-deliverer (don't remember that title either).
In case anyone needs a primer or "reminder": https://www.civilwartalk.com/threads/how-to-fire-a-civil-war-cannon.129546/#post-1438726

image-5-jpg.jpg

Back