CWT Chickamauga 2018- After Action Reports

lelliott19

Brigadier General
* OFFICIAL *
CWT PRESENTER
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Regtl. Staff Chickamauga 2018
This morning @bdtex and I received the nicest note from our Saturday guide Norm Dasinger, Jr. I don't think he would mind if I share it and I thought you guys might like to see it:
Norm note.JPG

A thank you note from the guy who volunteered to lead our tour -- all day Saturday like the mailman....in the cold, and rain, and gloom of night. And he sent us a thank you note. You guys obviously made quite an impression. Thanks for being on your best behavior. :cloud9:

I guess that hysterically funny :sabre:comment from @Buckeye Bill at Reed's Bridge wasn't a problem. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Is anyone else still :sleep: or is it just me? I got home early yesterday afternoon, but was still wound tight last night and was unable to go to sleep. Tonight, I am just beat. Probably gonna turn in early.

Last edited:
I took the liberty of moving @lelliott19 's post and starting an After Action Reports thread with it. I was gonna start one tonight myself but I am whooped too and her post seemed like a great thread starter. I had some thoughts earlier today to start one with but I am braindead tonight. Got home at 11:30 last night and had to be up at 6am this morning for work. :O o: :sleep:

Last edited:
Got home at 11:30 last night and had to be up at 6am this morning for work. :O o:
You're a better man than me !

:bounce:

After a weekend of touring Chickamauga in a cold, damp, misty and foggy rain . . . not to mention an hours long road trip back to Texas . . . I wouldn't have even thought about returning to work until at least Thursday.

:laugh:

A thank you note from the guy who volunteered to lead our tour -- all day Saturday like the mailman....in the cold, and rain, and gloom of night. And he sent us a thank you note. You guys obviously made quite an impression. Thanks for being on your best behavior. :cloud9:

I guess that hysterically funny :sabre:comment from @Buckeye Bill at Reed's Bridge wasn't a problem. :rofl::rofl::rofl:
What a nice gesture of your guide! :thumbsup:

Would you mind sharing the :sabre:comment? We want to laugh too. :wink:

This morning @bdtex and I received the nicest note from our Saturday guide Norm Dasinger, Jr. I don't think he would mind if I share it and I thought you guys might like to see it:
View attachment 208823

Outstanding!

Can you please forward my link to his email address, Laura?

I told Norm I would pass it on to him...….

By the way, Federal Colonel Robert H. G. Minty was a STUD in my book!!!

Bill

What a nice gesture of your guide! :thumbsup: Would you mind sharing the :sabre:comment? We want to laugh too. :wink:
By the way, Federal Colonel Robert H. G. Minty was a STUD in my book!!!
@luinrina it was much funnier when shouted across the parking lot. :D I think you had to be there to experience the full effect, but perhaps you can imagine? The guide is questioning whether Minty was anywhere near as great as Buford in this situation. When from across the parking lot, headed our way, Bill shouts, "Minty was a STUD!"

@luinrina it was much funnier when shouted across the parking lot. :D I think you had to be there to experience the full effect, but perhaps you can imagine? The guide is questioning whether Minty was anywhere near as great as Buford in this situation. When from across the parking lot, headed our way, Bill shouts, "Minty was a STUD!"

Meowwwwww......

IMG_20181030_100148.jpg

After our opening ceremony Friday morning we hit the ground running. I finished unpacking last night and ran across this item that @lelliott19 had slipped into my welcome bag. It was a nice touch. A handier man than me woulda found a way to rig it to wear during our tour. :D Excuse my crude photography.

IMG_20181030_082057080.jpg

View attachment 208823

Is anyone else still :sleep: or is it just me? I got home early yesterday afternoon, but was still wound tight last night and was unable to go to sleep. Tonight, I am just beat. Probably gonna turn in early.
We have had Norm speak to our local Civil War Roundtable and the man certainly knows his stuff.

:rofl:

Thanks for explaining, Laura! Yes, I can imagine. :D

After our opening ceremony Friday morning we hit the ground running. I finished unpacking last night and ran across this item that @lelliott19 had slipped into my welcome bag. It was a nice touch. A handier man than me woulda found a way to rig it to wear during our tour. :D
Quartermaster stripes for our event quartermaster. I really wish I had thought to sew elastic on them or a velcro band to make them like garters so you could have slipped them on over your jacket. Guess we can do that for next time!

Here's an After Action Report. It has become painfully obvious to me that I need a new camera. Very disappointed in the quality of my pics so far. Some of it is operator error but it's just time for an upgrade. It's okay on clear,sunny days but not in lowlight conditions. :banghead:

Here's an After Action Report. It has become painfully obvious to me that I need a new camera. Very disappointed in the quality of my pics so far. Some of it is operator error but it's just time for an upgrade. It's okay on clear,sunny days but not in lowlight conditions. :banghead:
Sometimes you get the bear and sometimes the bear gets you:notworthy:

After our opening ceremony Friday morning we hit the ground running. I finished unpacking last night and ran across this item that @lelliott19 had slipped into my welcome bag. It was a nice touch. A handier man than me woulda found a way to rig it to wear during our tour. :D Excuse my crude photography.

View attachment 208903
Look at @bdtex 's profile - he has a new "Regimental Quartermaster Chickamauga 2018" badge! :bounce::cannon::bounce:
Now he has a profile badge to go along with his stripes. I think that means its official!

Thanks @civilwartalk and @ami :wink:

Last edited:
Still kind of tired tonight but wanna post a little.

I got there a full day and a half before the official tour and had about 4 hours after it ended to go other places. Out of all the places I/we visited during those 3 days,I would say that Orchard Knob and Missionary Ridge were the most memorable. I spent that whole day with @Buckeye Bill and @KLSDAD and we hit it off right away.

Orchard Knob was pretty clean and the neighborhood it's in didn't scare me and is not as bad as I have heard it described. We picked a really good day and time of day to visit Missionary Ridge too and I was able to find the Brigade Markers for my 2 Confederate ancestors who fought there. That was special. Even with the urbanization around Orchard Knob and on Missionary Ridge,you can visit both sites and understand what happened there and why. On Orchard Knob you can literally see some of the monuments on the crest of Orchard Knob and vice versa. From either one,you can also see the Cravens House on Lookout Mountain. One of those 2 ancestors was at Lookout Mountain too. We went there last that day.

I do a lot of my Civil War sightseeing solo. It was nice sharing this experience with new friends too. Those sites are special in my Civil War family history. I'll never forget that day.

In other after action news,Ringgold is in the Eastern Time Zone but Texas is CST. My body clock is still synched to EST. Been waking up an hour before my alarm. I was up at 5:30-6:00am every morning we were in Ringgold.

I do a lot of my Civil War sightseeing solo. It was nice sharing this experience with new friends too. Those sites are special in my Civil War family history. I'll never forget that day.
Great to meet and campaign with you Bobby!
I go solo alot too.... got a feeling that when I get down Texas way the next time it won't be the case!

Back