"CW Uniforms of Blue & Grey - The Evolution"

The only problem I see is with the 1st Texas infantryman 1862. This uniform would certainly be correct for early 62 up until July, when the entire Texas brigade received fresh uniforms, including short jackets. In fact jackets had been issued as early as January to some brigade units. A further issue of blue/gray shells and light blue pants occurred in October 62. So the soldier is correct for early 62, incorrect for the Maryland campaign or Fredericksburg. Otherwise excellent.

Last edited:
The only problem I see is with the 1st Texas infantryman 1862. This uniform would certainly be correct for early 62 up until July, when the entire Texas brigade received fresh uniforms, including short jackets. In fact jackets had been issued as early as January to some brigade units. A further issue of blue/gray shells and light blue pants occurred in October 62. So the soldier is correct for early 62, incorrect for the Maryland campaign or Fredericksburg. Otherwise excellent.
Not sure how complete the Texas uniform issues were, but in my continuing research into the uniforms of troops from North Carolina, it seems that they were issued jackets on an as needed basis. Trowsers were freely issued, as were other articles of clothing, but they were a bit more frugal with jackets at least until early to mid '64. NC is well known for her ability to clothe and equip her soldierly sons, so I can only assume the reluctance to 'mass issue' jackets was a means of conserving equipment for the greater good.

It has also come to light that, during the transition period between sack coats and shell jackets, both were issued simultaneously until stocks of the sack coats were exhausted. Some researchers believe this might not have occurred until early autumn of '62.

I'd love to see the producers' take on NC uniforms throughout the war.

Not sure how complete the Texas uniform issues were, but in my continuing research into the uniforms of troops from North Carolina, it seems that they were issued jackets on an as needed basis. Trowsers were freely issued, as were other articles of clothing, but they were a bit more frugal with jackets at least until early to mid '64. NC is well known for her ability to clothe and equip her soldierly sons, so I can only assume the reluctance to 'mass issue' jackets was a means of conserving equipment for the greater good.

It has also come to light that, during the transition period between sack coats and shell jackets, both were issued simultaneously until stocks of the sack coats were exhausted. Some researchers believe this might not have occurred until early autumn of '62.

I'd love to see the producers' take on NC uniforms throughout the war.
Jackets, at times, were issued ‘when needed’, but from June 1862 onwards this changed dramatically. At that time the bulk of the ANV were issued shell jackets, many manufactured from English wool. The Richmond Clothing Bureau stated this, soldier’s memoirs mention it and surviving clothing requisition forms confirm it. For example the 3rd SC Infantry received 686 shell jackets in July 1862, described in great detail by a SC colonel.Other huge issues of shell jackets took place en-mass in October 62, March 63, June 63, July 63, December 63 , and so on up until the end of the war. The clothing requisition forms for the Texas Brigade in 1862 clearly show ‘jackets’ being issued as opposed to ‘coats’ .
As to NC being frugal with their issue of jackets, again I’m afraid you’re quite wrong. For example the 25th NC received the following... March 12th 62...115 Uniform coats, May 12th 62...928 jackets, Dec 4th 62...424 jackets, June 63...411 jackets, Sept 63... 66 jackets, Dec 63...250 jackets. The 49th NC is another very typical example June 62...997 jackets, Nov 62...278 jackets, Feb 63...199 jackets, July 1st 63...242 jackets. The 25th NC received 934 jackets on June 8th 62 plus a further 437 in October of the same year. The 35th were issued 771 in June 62,. The 15th NC 466 jackets. The list is endless.
By May and June 1863 the figures were truly outstanding. These four examples will give you some idea of the vast quantities of jackets being issued...11th NC...789 jackets, 43rd NC...655 jackets, 47th NC...857 jackets, 53rd NC ...850 jackets. Further details can be found in my book ‘Never in Rags’ and my forthcoming work ‘Confederate Uniforms at Antietam’.

Jackets, at times, were issued ‘when needed’, but from June 1862 onwards this changed dramatically. At that time the bulk of the ANV were issued shell jackets, many manufactured from English wool. The Richmond Clothing Bureau stated this, soldier’s memoirs mention it and surviving clothing requisition forms confirm it. For example the 3rd SC Infantry received 686 shell jackets in July 1862, described in great detail by a SC colonel.Other huge issues of shell jackets took place en-mass in October 62, March 63, June 63, July 63, December 63 , and so on up until the end of the war. The clothing requisition forms for the Texas Brigade in 1862 clearly show ‘jackets’ being issued as opposed to ‘coats’ .
As to NC being frugal with their issue of jackets, again I’m afraid you’re quite wrong. For example the 25th NC received the following... March 12th 62...115 Uniform coats, May 12th 62...928 jackets, Dec 4th 62...424 jackets, June 63...411 jackets, Sept 63... 66 jackets, Dec 63...250 jackets. The 49th NC is another very typical example June 62...997 jackets, Nov 62...278 jackets, Feb 63...199 jackets, July 1st 63...242 jackets. The 25th NC received 934 jackets on June 8th 62 plus a further 437 in October of the same year. The 35th were issued 771 in June 62,. The 15th NC 466 jackets. The list is endless.
By May and June 1863 the figures were truly outstanding. These four examples will give you some idea of the vast quantities of jackets being issued...11th NC...789 jackets, 43rd NC...655 jackets, 47th NC...857 jackets, 53rd NC ...850 jackets. Further details can be found in my book ‘Never in Rags’ and my forthcoming work ‘Confederate Uniforms at Antietam’.
Most of my information deals with the NC units in the western theater of the conflict, where large issues of jackets to NC troops were a rarity, though they did occur. in Feb. '64 I find the 59th and 60th NCT receiving 214 and 211 jackets respectively... and the 39th, though issued jackets on a fairly regular basis, only received one really large issuance of such, 461 in May of '63. Yet trowser issues remained steady and quite large throughout. In spite of it all, Pvt. William Davis of the 58th commented in a letter home in June 1862, "We are never wanting for clothes and such. We receive issues almost every three weeks, and are the best dressed unit in the army. We never mach (sic) from one to the next, but our cloth is never worn out and our shoes are usualy (sic) good." He went on to say, "We started getting new jackets like the rest of the armies but the men grumbel (sic) and such because our coats look better. We only get the jackets when our old coats wear out, and they are so finely made, it will be a while before they are all replaced.Strong Carolina coats for strong Carolina boys."

Perhaps the ANV was a bit more proactive than the AoT, but it doesn't seem that the NC boys were lacking out west.

Yes, it is really nicely done. If an additional U.S. Army uniform video from the same group is thrown in, there is a very good illustration of how the U.S. and many militia adopted a Francophile "short shako" with a rakish tilt forward in the form of the Model 1851 Shako and later the Model 1854, which used essentially the same bald eagle brass plate of the dress hat/ "Hardee/J. Davis hat" as a front plate. Shorn of toorie/pom-pom, shako plate, cords, and other fripperies, and with the stiffener removed, this then becomes the Model 1858 forage cap.

Notice that the same impressionist/reenactor/model stood in for all of the permutations of Zouave uniforms?!

Back