Civil War Sword

Cciafox950

Cadet
Any thoughts on condition etc.?

IMG_1208.jpeg

IMG_1495.jpg

IMG_1496.jpg

IMG_1497.jpg

Very Nice M 1840 Artillery Officers Swords. You should be proud of that one.

...How are relics kept over the years in such fine shape? It sat somewhere for a hundred years with no modern technology used on museum pieces...

Uh ...the whole point of accredited museums applying their technology (some of it modern technology) to artifacts is for the very reason to preserve them in better original condition than if they had been kept in typical domestic or collector storage.

For example this artifact, as an open-air wall display, may well have an ode-du-cigarette patina to it.

Last edited:
Thoughts on the condition? How are relics kept over the years in such fine shape? It sat somewhere for a hundred years with no modern technology used on museum pieces. Is this one refurbished to this condition, or is it a rare case of stowing it away properly through the years to arrive presently as is? Beautiful piece.
Lubliner.

Stored properly and original.

Uh ...the whole point of accredited museums applying their technology (some of it modern technology) to artifacts is for the very reason to preserve them in better original condition than if they had been kept in typical domestic or collector storage.

For example this artifact, as an open-air wall display, may well have an ode-du-cigarette patina to it.
Yes, I know the Gettysburg Museum restores artifacts so they will not deteriorate, and keep some in environmentally controlled areas. I am so unfamiliar with the weaponry and artifacts generally sought after, I can not even hazard a guess whether the patina special carries more value than the polished shiner, though I am sure an encrusted piece of dirty rust does not bring near as much. Thank you for your help. So maybe this had a mounting bracket to rest above the mantle. It would be nice centerpiece.
Lubliner.

Back