CW Railroading

Morning....This is an area of the "late unpleasantness" that is many times given short shrift....the railroads did all the heavy lifting beginning after late 1861 early 1862...There was absolutely no possible way the Union "elephant" could be supplied once the momentum began.. There is a view of the wagons and horses and attending humans done by Timothy O'Sullivan that accurately shows just how were needed for just one corps...
When the administration finally came to the understanding of just how necessary the railroads would be matters began moving swiftly.....I will not try and delineate all the points of what occurred...hopefully others in this "community" will put in information.....
Suffice it to say with Daniel McMcCallum and Herman Haupt were the most correct people to have been given authority.....a fair bit has been written by and about Haupt....McCallum has been left in the shadows...McCallum was the real overall force.. here are images of the two of them Haupt in his Brigadier Gen uniform and McCallum as a Colonel...

Slide87.JPGSlide86.JPG

McCallum was the overall Superintendent "in the office" so to speak.....Haupt became head of the USMRR Construction Corps and a direct conduit of Union army affairs in the field to President Lincoln...more later

Here is my great grandfather's description of the Ninth Corps' trip by rail from Cincinnatti to Cairo, IL.

June 5th.1862
Arrived at Covington at 8 AM. Crossed by ferry to Cincinnati. Stopped in the city until near 5 PM. And had a good dinner provided us by the city. Had quite a chance to view the city. Liked its appearance very much, has some fine buildings all of which seemed to have a fresh and lively appearance, coming I suppose from their having been recently built. Was sorry to see whiskey shops so numerous, many of the regiment imbibed far too freely, much to the discredit of the regiment. Went with Lt. Pope and a squad of men patrolling among the whiskey shops for “stragglers.” Many citizens, formerly residents of the Eastern States visited the regiment. Had a few minutes pleasant conversation with Mr. Clarke of Dayton, Ohio., who formerly lived in Dedham. Our company was treated to a couple boxes of oranges from another ex-Dedham resident, Mr. Hunnewell. They were most heartily received. Wrote letter for Isaac Collier to his wife, he was suddenly taken sick and transferred to the Marine Hospital in the city. At near 6:30 PM were on board cars once again, on the Mississippi and Ohio Railroad and en route for Cairo, IL, as our next halting place. Were closely packed, 50 to a car, so there was scarce any chance to sleep or rest. Added to the unpleasantness of being thus crowded, was the pleasure of enduring the mad freaks and hilarity of some half dozen or more in each car of crazy headed ones from the influence of liquor, so that for a while it was in reality “confusion worse confounded.” It is pretty evident we now go to Vicksburg. Our stay in Kentucky has been very pleasant, some severe marching, yet we have been undisturbed by hostile foe. Probably the majority of the men would prefer such service rather than that we shall be likely to see down about Vicksburg. Yet I sometimes feel as if in such service we were doing but little in crushing the rebellion. If our going to Vicksburg will place us where we can be more useful to this end, we ought to be cheerfully willing to go there even though it bring us to the stern realities of battle. May God aid us to meet patiently and courageously the sterner scenes of war, which seem now to be in store for us. Accounts of the progress of the conflict about Vicksburg represent that our troops are having a hard time of it, suffering much from severe labors in besieging the city, and from sickness. Many of us will undoubtedly be laid by, no more to return to our Northern homes. Dread to write to my folks informing them of our move and destination.

June 6th.
Today have been steaming along through Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois. Leaving Cincinnati our route for quite a distance lay along the Ohio River, through prosperous villages and a thriving farming country. Rode upon the top of the car until dark and enjoyed the scenery very much. At every village the citizens were out “en masse” to welcome us on, the young ladies quite liberal in bestowing of flowers upon us so that we were quite fancifully decorated with them. The old and young were full of hearty cheers for us, this was truly refreshing after our cold and indifferent treatment we have received in the villages of Kentucky. Made out to sleep about half the night, after a fashion, anything but refreshing. The forepart of the night was anything but quiet with us on account of the crazy headedness of a few whiskey guzzlers. In Seymour, IN at 2:30 AM had some hot coffee and crackers. At Vincennes, IN on the banks of the Wabash River we were treated again to some hot coffee and other refreshments. Barrels of ice water were at the depots for us from which we filled our canteens. Crossing the Wabash we were in Illinois. Here we could see Western life in its every variety. Log houses were scattered along the route, villages more or less prosperous, nearly all having schoolhouses and churches and presenting in this respect a pleasing contrast to the villages of Kentucky. Occasionally a church or school building could be seen but partly finished, and seeming to tell that the war was having a depressing effect upon the material prosperity of the village. The people were out as in Ohio to greet us with cheers, flowers and banners. Passed over large sections of prairie land, which to us used to the hills and rocks of New England presented a novel appearance. All around as far as the eye could reach seemed one ocean of plains. Dotted here and there with villages and interspersed with cultivated tracts and tracts where nothing but a wild prairie grass was in growth, which was interspersed with a variety of wild flowers giving it a pleasing appearance. As we drew near the junction of the Ohio and Mississippi and Illinois Central railroads, the land grew richer, and the farms more numerous and as thriving as heart could wish. Changed cars at Sandoval for Cairo. Previous to our re-embarking our Colonel gave us a short season of battalion drill, his object he said to “rest us and stretch our limbs a little after our long ride”, this was not much liked by the men who made blunders innumerable some on purpose.

June 7th.
Passed the night very uncomfortably, were much crowded, and noise and confusion abundant of which it may be said “Whiskey done it.” Arrived at Cairo at 8 AM. Pitched our tents upon the sand on the bank of the Ohio. Took a good scrub in the river. Wrote a letter to Abbie and Carrie, after which slept rest of day. Could hardly realize it to be the Sabbath, or that I was really in sight of the MS, and of the shores of KY, Ill., and MO., such has been the whirl and excitement of our journeying from Ky.

Here is my great grandfather's description of the Ninth Corps' trip by rail from Cincinnatti to Cairo, IL.

June 7th.
Passed the night very uncomfortably, were much crowded, and noise and confusion abundant of which it may be said “Whiskey done it.” Arrived at Cairo at 8 AM. Pitched our tents upon the sand on the bank of the Ohio. Took a good scrub in the river. Wrote a letter to Abbie and Carrie, after which slept rest of day. Could hardly realize it to be the Sabbath, or that I was really in sight of the MS, and of the shores of KY, Ill., and MO., such has been the whirl and excitement of our journeying from Ky.

Afternoon Freddy....The comment about "...Took a good scrub in the river...." triggered an image of fellows "having a wash" here it is:
1864Aug-00367u2North Anna River .jpg

Water nymphs <bg> SilverWetPlate

The TISHOMINGO HOTEL: Corinth Mississippi, at the junction of the Mobile & Ohio and Memphis & Charleston
Tishomingo Hotel.JPG

Photo from Miller's PHCW......According to a comment in the WAR ON THE MISSISSIPPI volume in the Time-Life "silver cover" THE CIVIL WAR set[28 volumes], there were three hotels in CORINTH, the Tishomingo was "renowned" for it's singular ability to provide and serve ICE WATER !!....Note the low single story building at the LEFT of the hotel: It is a photographer's studio....SilverWetPlate

Herman Haupt was quite a character....Graduated from West Point at age 18, told the Army to go shove it up their nose went home to Massachusetts to work on his pet project : The Hoosac Tunnel.....
By the autumn of 1862 the railroad system was in such bad disarray the Stanton and McClellan the Snob went begging to him to come and make it work...He did.....then after he got things working properly he was summarily sent packing in 1863...He left very capable men to keep the USMRR Construction Corps running though, so the Union was able to overwhelm their adversaries.

Following up on Herman Haupt.....Having started the USMRR Construction Corps, ("Mr." Haupt forced to move around in his Brigadier General uniform), began making that fertile mind of his work....probably with the help of the various Superintendents and Engineers came up with some marvelous and devious devices to make the CSA Railroads even more useless than they were. Here is an image of what I characterize as one of his best....
Slide94.JPG

The device was also ridiculously simple....on the RIGHT hand end of the railroad tie with the sloped end is the device: think of a horseshoe with the ends turned up into hooks.....as you see by the photograph, one is hooked on the flange of one end of a piece of rail, and another one on the other end and OPPOSITE side....railroad ties inserted, and everyone leans down on the tie.....what happens is extremely effective : the opposite TWISTING action turns the rail into a "twist drill"......completely impossible to straighten ...... the piece of rail must be sent to a foundry , melted and extruded....a horrible hindrance to the EXTREMELY low output of the very few CSA foundries.....This procedure was far and away superior to the usual Sherman Hairpins, which could be straightened with another simple device Haupt dreamed up....more later

June 5th.1862
Arrived at Covington at 8 AM. Crossed by ferry to Cincinnati. Stopped in the city until near 5 PM. And had a good dinner provided us by the city. Had quite a chance to view the city. Liked its appearance very much, has some fine buildings all of which seemed to have a fresh and lively appearance, coming I suppose from their having been recently built. Was sorry to see whiskey shops so numerous, many of the regiment imbibed far too freely, much to the discredit of the regiment. Went with Lt. Pope and a squad of men patrolling among the whiskey shops for “stragglers.” Many citizens, formerly residents of the Eastern States visited the regiment. Had a few minutes pleasant conversation with Mr. Clarke of Dayton, Ohio., who formerly lived in Dedham. Our company was treated to a couple boxes of oranges from another ex-Dedham resident, Mr. Hunnewell. They were most heartily received. Wrote letter for Isaac Collier to his wife, he was suddenly taken sick and transferred to the Marine Hospital in the city. At near 6:30 PM were on board cars once again, on the Mississippi and Ohio Railroad and en route for Cairo, IL, as our next halting place. Were closely packed, 50 to a car, so there was scarce any chance to sleep or rest. Added to the unpleasantness of being thus crowded, was the pleasure of enduring the mad freaks and hilarity of some half dozen or more in each car of crazy headed ones from the influence of liquor, so that for a while it was in reality “confusion worse confounded.” It is pretty evident we now go to Vicksburg. Our stay in Kentucky has been very pleasant, some severe marching, yet we have been undisturbed by hostile foe. Probably the majority of the men would prefer such service rather than that we shall be likely to see down about Vicksburg. Yet I sometimes feel as if in such service we were doing but little in crushing the rebellion. If our going to Vicksburg will place us where we can be more useful to this end, we ought to be cheerfully willing to go there even though it bring us to the stern realities of battle. May God aid us to meet patiently and courageously the sterner scenes of war, which seem now to be in store for us. Accounts of the progress of the conflict about Vicksburg represent that our troops are having a hard time of it, suffering much from severe labors in besieging the city, and from sickness. Many of us will undoubtedly be laid by, no more to return to our Northern homes. Dread to write to my folks informing them of our move and destination.

June 6th.
Today have been steaming along through Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois. Leaving Cincinnati our route for quite a distance lay along the Ohio River, through prosperous villages and a thriving farming country. Rode upon the top of the car until dark and enjoyed the scenery very much. At every village the citizens were out “en masse” to welcome us on, the young ladies quite liberal in bestowing of flowers upon us so that we were quite fancifully decorated with them. The old and young were full of hearty cheers for us, this was truly refreshing after our cold and indifferent treatment we have received in the villages of Kentucky. Made out to sleep about half the night, after a fashion, anything but refreshing. The forepart of the night was anything but quiet with us on account of the crazy headedness of a few whiskey guzzlers. In Seymour, IN at 2:30 AM had some hot coffee and crackers. At Vincennes, IN on the banks of the Wabash River we were treated again to some hot coffee and other refreshments. Barrels of ice water were at the depots for us from which we filled our canteens. Crossing the Wabash we were in Illinois. Here we could see Western life in its every variety. Log houses were scattered along the route, villages more or less prosperous, nearly all having schoolhouses and churches and presenting in this respect a pleasing contrast to the villages of Kentucky. Occasionally a church or school building could be seen but partly finished, and seeming to tell that the war was having a depressing effect upon the material prosperity of the village. The people were out as in Ohio to greet us with cheers, flowers and banners. Passed over large sections of prairie land, which to us used to the hills and rocks of New England presented a novel appearance. All around as far as the eye could reach seemed one ocean of plains. Dotted here and there with villages and interspersed with cultivated tracts and tracts where nothing but a wild prairie grass was in growth, which was interspersed with a variety of wild flowers giving it a pleasing appearance. As we drew near the junction of the Ohio and Mississippi and Illinois Central railroads, the land grew richer, and the farms more numerous and as thriving as heart could wish. Changed cars at Sandoval for Cairo. Previous to our re-embarking our Colonel gave us a short season of battalion drill, his object he said to “rest us and stretch our limbs a little after our long ride”, this was not much liked by the men who made blunders innumerable some on purpose.

June 7th.
Very interesting, thank you for sharing.

more on Herman Haupt.....An item that many students of the "late unpleasantness" may not know of, is the pipeline Haupt was to President Lincoln...in August of 1862 for example both Sec. Stanton and Gen. Halleck as well as the President relied on Haupt's reports via telegraph rather than Pope or McClellan's advisements.....see LINCOLN IN THE TELEGRAPH OFFICE by David Homer Bates, paperback, Univ. of Nebraska Press, Bison Books, 1995, page 120 , center main paragraph. more later.....

RAILWAY or RAILROAD rail GAUGE:
An item directly related to railroading that has a plethora of ideas and comments that are possibly correct and possibly wrong is the matter of GAUGE.....i.e. the inside distance between the inside top section of a piece of rail......most discussions will invariably and instantly converge and give credit/credence to the chariots of the Romans.....as more than one scholar/student/enthusiast has commented, the use of chariots in Britain is highly unlikely at best....chariot warfare was supplanted/superseded by one of the components of that warfare : [horse]CAVALRY.....much much more maneuverable / flexible and usable....
Many of these same students in my opinion do not start early enough in human history to give a more probable timeline of human evolution....and the attendant inventions
My first question to anyone would be: when was the "wheel" first "invented" and used? My answer: pottery making...that takes us back a lot longer than the Romans....horizontal wheels must have given someone the idea to use them vertically to make moving "things" a lot easier.....there are pictographs and even "child" toys from 3000+ - in Sumeria of wheeled vehicles pulled by ONAGERS .... 4 teamed in the articles I have seen....
ONAGER pulled wagon.jpg
http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6381&start=1400
So, if wheeled vehicles to move loads were known and used that early, then it follows to me that the concept of a work saving back saving utility would be THE bright idea of a lifetime....heavier loads bulkier loads more easily moved inside or outside a village/town/city.....whether animal drawn or human drawn makes no difference
What does become central in the detective work into archaeological history is the design and SIZE of these useful utilities.. were the first ones ALWAYS animal drawn? I personally do NOT think so....if "you" were pulling one of these, you are constrained by your muscle power.... if more than one person pulled, a bigger vehicle.....finally someone must have figured out that using an animal sure saved pulled and sore muscles....so, did the narrow human powered cart EXPAND to accept the slightly larger size of the ONAGER? probably......from that point it is not a large jump in my opinion to use bigger animals to pull bigger vehicles....remember that "beasts of burden" were used to PLOW earth..to me not much of a stretch to put a beast in front of a wheeled vehicle....
Was a "PRACTICAL" size realized or reached? we will never know except by the archaeological examples dug up and studied..It SEEMS that a wheel width of ABOUT 5 feet became a usable "standard".....remember that these vehicles were probably NOT used on stone roads in the beginning..so rutting of the tracks could be easily filled in or simply abandoned...
This discussion can go on for quite sometime.....I'll stop my dribbling....<g>

Back