Civil War Cavalry Sword Authentic?

Boomer110

Private
Hi,

I’ve been meaning to post this sword for a long time and finally getting around to it. It was my first purchase of CW weaponry many years ago. I had no knowledge of CW weaponry at the time. Have been following the board for a few years which makes realize how little I know. Back to the subject, I have been wondering if this sword might be a fake. I had thought that the only markings on the sword were US, ADK (inspector initials) and date of 1864 stamped on the base of the blade. The date mark was not struck very well as the 4 is very light. It does not show in the photos but in the right light you can make out the 4. I had always thought these were the only markings but as I was taking photos today I saw an inspectors mark on the pommel. The first initial is D and the second looks like an H but not 100% sure. Since there is no makers marks could this be an import that was accepted for service?

Thanks for any thoughts from the experts.

280C60C6-3F78-4705-A6AF-65869E229C74.jpeg
085967CC-E43F-477A-9317-93E55A21CABB.jpeg
6F912157-C59E-4D30-BAE6-2C7E2A965417.jpeg
61C67BDE-55EF-4CD6-87F9-F60C0B8FD353.jpeg
0FFFEE5F-054A-430C-9846-93151706B6F8.jpeg
2E181328-D23E-4EB7-9C4A-BBD63459688A.jpeg

Nice looking cav sword. Looks right as rain to me and the ADK is for Andrew D. King and with it having his mark I'm leaning its an Ames with the Ames marking being rub off which is common.

Thanks all,

ucvrelics the other side of the base of the sword is in pretty good shape And doesn’t seem to have any stamp. I will post a photo of that side later tonight.

Here is the other side of the base of the sword. Tried to put the correct term of this part of the sword but autocorrect kept changing it to Richard.

View attachment 382757
The Ames makers mark had just been worn off. The blade is original to the sword meaning if you look at the pommel end the blade has not been removed. The ADK will only be found on an Ames sword.

You have a beautiful piece there. You must be very proud of it. Congratulations, and great photos of it by the way.

John

Unfortunately the scabbard was not with the sword. I bought a repop scabbard for it.
Please do NOT put that original sword in a repop scabbard, Display it proudly "As Found"

I got the scabbard so that I can hang it on the wall but you are right that a repop scabbard does not look good with a vintage sword. Maybe find an authentic scabbard for it? Any suggestions on where I might find one and reasonable price to pay?

You shouldn't have any problem finding a model 1860 scabbard at around $100. I would take my time and see if you can find one with matching inspectors marks on the drag.
1606835967062.png

Might be a bit more difficult to find an original at a decent price as a lot of people are in your situation , saber but no scabbard. Took me a while and had to pay $200 to get a match for one of my sabers a few years ago. I see Gunderson has one for sale on his site but is asking $395. Sometimes you see an original offered on Ebay, but have to do your research and watch out for aged repros. They still tend to go for up to $200 there. If you can find one for $100, snap it up. I would.

Oh, and if you can't find one with same inspector marks (and thus likely same maker), make sure they offer a return policy as not all makes may fit all scabbards. I think my Ames and Robys did interchange when I had both makes.

I can't help but think of the man who originally had that sword. I hope he made it through the critical war this country ever endured for its future. Any ideas of who and what this soldier might have been through?

Back