1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Custer's Surgeon W W Bowlby & Kershaw's Capture at Sailor's Creek

Discussion in 'Medical Care of the Civil War' started by lelliott19, Mar 12, 2017.

1. lelliott19

lelliott19 2nd Lieutenant Forum Host Trivia Game Winner

[​IMG]
    https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=40500900

On April 6, 1865, Sheridan's cavalry effectively isolated three depleted corps of Lee's army near Farmville, VA. The Union II and VI Corps closed in from the east to seal the deal. Over 7000 Confederate soldiers and officers were captured that day - about 25% of Lee's entire army. The prisoners included eight Confederate Generals - one of them was Joseph B. Kershaw, captured by Custer's cavalry.

Kershaw and Custer had encountered one another the previous year in the Shenandoah Valley at Guard Hill and Cedar Creek. Neither of those meetings had ended in Kershaw's favor - and this one was no different. From his place among the prisoners, Genl Kershaw summoned an officer who identified himself as a the Surgeon of General Custer's staff - Dr William Whitfield Bowlby, Surgeon-in-Chief Third Division. Kershaw requested to be allowed to surrender his sword to General Custer.

"General," said Dr. Bowlby, "I am glad to meet you. I assure you sir, we always had great respect for you and your command when you confronted us in the valley."

"I look upon General Custer as one of the best cavalry officers that this or any other country ever produced. I shall, indeed, consider it an honor to surrender my sword to him." Kershaw continued, "Ever since the battle of Cedar Creek, when he and General Sheridan embraced each other after the battle, I have had the most perfect admiration for the man.....All through today's battle I directed my men to concentrate their fire upon his headquarters flag, knowing he was always there at the front. While I should have deprecated the idea of killing a man so brave, good and efficient, yet I knew it was my only hope."

http://www.nytimes.com/1865/04/14/n...ck-upon-retreating-rebels.html?pagewanted=all
    https://books.google.com/books?id=V...AdAlQ4FBDoAQgzMAg#v=onepage&q=kershaw&f=false - p. 302
    @Podad

rpkennedy, Stony, reading48 and 9 others like this.

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. Podad

Podad First Sergeant

Good information @lelliott19 thanks for sharing.

The first link has expired.

lelliott19 likes this.
  4. lelliott19

lelliott19 2nd Lieutenant Forum Host Trivia Game Winner

You just have to click the thing that says "Skip these deals & continue to nytimes.com " and it will take you to the story.

Podad likes this.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)