Custer V Stuart @ Gettysburg: Importance?

How long have the Hoffmans had the property? Are they Rummel descendants?

Another part of the lost cause: The Chance of Victory

If the Confederates lost at Cemetery Ridge, they might have won on the flank with its cavalry. If they didn't surrender at Appomattox, they might have won the war. On and on.......goes the theories.

At Gettysburg, Stuart cavalry was at a distinct disadvantage. As the last major group of Confederates to enter Pennsylvania and the battle, they were a worn down force. They had been on constant move from Virginia.

Unfortunately few have read Stuart's OR from Gettysburg, nor do they know anything about how relatively easy it is to wear down horses, from a long distance and rapid movement.

But then what importance is that to a modern reader.

Some varieties are native as far north as Virginia. They are common in many areas of SC.
I have three. That might make them common, but it doesn't make them native.

Ole

I have three. That might make them common, but it doesn't make them native.

Ole

There are several different subspecies of yucca. One grows out west and has a larger stalk than the subspecies native to the southeast.
Yucca filamentosa
native to the Southeastern United States (although it is often planted for a "Southwestern" xeriscape look)

http://www.hcs.ohio-state.edu/hcs/TMI/Plantlist/yu_ntosa.html

There are some subspecies that grow in the north but they may have become naturalized rather than native. Indians used them for many things and may be responsible for the spread.

dvrmte

Whitworth,
Why do you claim that few have read Stuart's OR? I don't understand your point. Thanks.

How long have the Hoffmans had the property? Are they Rummel descendants?
--K Hale

I don't know the certain answer to either question. But to answer Prroh's earlier question...the house is still inhabited and I'm assuming the Hoffman's are still the residents.

Mr. Hoffman has quite a collection of artifacts found on East Cav and is very generous in displaying and explaining them. We are very lucky that he has been so willing to let visitors on his land if they arrange the specifics with him it first. The barn still has it's share of artillery fragments embedded in the woodwork but it's important to remember that it is private property.

There is a DmCM Gregg equestrian statue in Reading, PA, and I wonder if a replica of it wasn't supposed to be destined for Gettysburg NMP? There was an old Park avenue/Carriage path that was supposed to run from near Benner's Hill all the way out to the Rummel place but it also never happened.
Another interesting sidenote is that the old NPS East Cavalry Field guard shack stood about 150 yards or so north of the Hoffman's current mailbox on Confederate Cavalry Avenue.

K Hale,

The Park had "Guard shacks" at Little Round Top, Devil's Den, Spangler's Spring and East Cav Field. There may have been at least one more but I'm blanking on it's location. These guard shacks were phased out with the advent of the automobile and by the end of WW1 were past history. They were primarily only used during peak visitation months. The West & South end Guide stations also served as quasi-security stations but are now basically nothing but public restrooms. Security for the Park is now, obviously, the domain of the Park rangers and the all volunteer Park Watch association.

When Stuart's crew began showing up on July 3, two guns of Jackson's Battery unlimbered near the spot where the guard shack was eventually constructed mainly because this position on Cress Ridge dominates the field from a Confederate perspective. Nevertheless Jackson's battery section was pummeled within minutes. Stuart was said to have observed part of the fight from near this vantage point.

Take four guys and send them out to watch East Jesus and they will build a shack. In doing so, a chicken coop and outhouse might get savaged, but they will build a shack. If they're left out there long enough, they will also build a fireplace. And bunks. And mattresses.

Humans are strange animals, but they will cobble together a shelter.

Custer apparently reaped much credit from the charges he led in this encounter. Not to distract from his and his troopers' valor, did he do anything particularly insightful that day? It's one thing to be a brave leader and another to be a smart one.

Custer apparently reaped much credit from the charges he led in this encounter. Not to distract from his and his troopers' valor, did he do anything particularly insightful that day? It's one thing to be a brave leader and another to be a smart one.

Custer on July 3rd shows as a good cut-and-thrust type of cavalry leader. Nothing he does would show him as anything special above the brigade level. Bold, brave, an up-and-comer -- but nothing above that.

Tim

On the morning of July 3 Pleasonton ordered Kirkpatrick (Farnsworth's and Custer's brigades) to the Union left. Gregg managed to convince Pleasonton to leave one of the brigades on the right supporting his own command and sent a courier to advise Kirkpatrick. Farnsworth's brigade with Kirkpatrick had already moved out and Custer was preparing to follow when the courier arrived. Custer received the message, decided his would be the brigade to assist Gregg and did not bother to inform Kirkpatrick. Was this insightful or was Custer looking for a fight? (Do I see the beginning of a pattern of future behavior?)

During the fight with Stuart's Cavalry Custer performed well, but under Gregg's command.

Custer received the message, decided his would be the brigade to assist Gregg and did not bother to inform Kirkpatrick. Was this insightful or was Custer looking for a fight? (Do I see the beginning of a pattern of future behavior?)

During the fight with Stuart's Cavalry Custer performed well, but under Gregg's command.
An example of better to beg forgiveness than seek permission.

How lucky... and it seems like I'm the only one who hasn't been on an Ed Bearss tour. How do you hook on with one?

You mean the one they recently tied a red cloth on? Have people been doing other things to it?

I had the privelege of meeting Daniel Hoffman on several occasions. I once accompanied a number of other SCV members to the East Cavalry Field. I was accompanied by my eldest son who was then 7 years old. Mr. Hoffman was (gracious as always) and allowed my 7 year old to take his toy musket and take potshots at "yankees" from the same barn that our ancestors used on July 3rd as members of Witcher's 34th VA. My son is now grown and still talks about that honor. THAT IS WHAT THE CIVIL WAR AND WHAT WE ALL DO IS ALL ABOUT AND THE HOPE FOR THE FUTURE.
DANIEL HOFFMAN A True Gentleman May he rest in peace.

c-h-g2.jpg

http://www.wadehamptoncamp.org/hist-rf.html

Is there a larger image of this?

Attachments

• c-h-g2.jpg
    c-h-g2.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 13
Back