1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Modern Curried Chicken Salad

Discussion in 'Foods of the Civil War' started by donna, Apr 21, 2017.

1. donna

donna Brev. Brig. Gen'l Forum Host

For me there is nothing like chicken salad. There are several posts on the Food Forum for chicken salad. Just found this one for curried chicken salad. A different twist to the salad and one to try.

1/2 pound chicken breast, boneless, baked and sliced
    1 rib celery, diced
    1/4 cup diced onion
    1/8 cup raisins
    1/4 Granny Smith apple, diced
    1/2 teaspoon curry powder
    1/8 teaspoon turmeric
    1/8 teaspoon mustard
    1/4 cup mayonnaise or to taste

Toss together the chicken, celery, onion, raisins and apple.
    In a separate bowl, combine the mayonnaise and spices.
    Pour over the chicken mixture, stir and enjoy.

From: "Boone Community Recorder", April 20, 2017. Recipe of Bluebird Bakery, Glendale, Ohio.

nitrofd, Allie and truthckr like this.

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. Stiles/Akin

Stiles/Akin Sergeant

Interesting. Its getting harder and harder to find good chicken salad or even Tuna Salad. I have not seen many recipes with Tumeric which is good for you. I have not tried cooking with it yet.

nitrofd, Allie and donna like this.
  4. Allie

Allie Captain

Sounds good, will definitely try it!

@Stiles/Akin - The trick to cooking with turmeric is that in a lot of Indian cooking, you first make a "tadka" or seasoning mix by adding the turmeric and other spices to a little oil, butter, or ghee and cooking it for a minute to ripen the flavor and get rid of the raw taste. Then add the flavored oil to food. Plain powdered turmeric by itself is kind of chalky tasting but once cooked it's very pleasant! In this recipe for example you could sub 1 tbsp of the mayo for olive oil and use that to cook your curry powder and turmeric. I have the world's tiniest no-stick skillet which I use for tadkas.

donna, nitrofd and Stiles/Akin like this.
  5. nitrofd

nitrofd Lt. Colonel Forum Host

I have been a huge fan of curried chicken salad for a long time,but even that has become harder to find unless you make it yourself.as a substitute we like to have a chicken salad made with dill.

donna and Stiles/Akin like this.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)