Curly, Water Spaniel of Company A, 11th Ohio Volunteer Infantry

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Curley enlisted with the 11th Ohio on April 19, 1861. Curly was originally owned by Mrs. Shellabarger. She felt she had too many dogs and gave Curly to John Crouse of the 11th Ohio. Curley became the favorite dog for the 11th. He was even listed on the roster.

Curly followed the unit everywhere. During fighting he would run along the lines barking at the enemy. When General J.D. Cox took over the 11th, the general decided there were too many dogs and ordered a soldier to get rid of them. The soldier was to throw the dogs in the river. Curly was saved.

Curly was later shot. The company had a nurse take care of him until he recovered. At the Battle of Chickamauga, Curly would lay in field next to his comrades. He was a good soldier and very devoted to his Company.

Curly survived the war.He was always taken to reunions. Later Curly went to live at the National Soldiers Home in Dayton, Ohio. He died there and is buried on the grounds of the home.

From: http://piperbasenji.blogspot.com/2013/10/curly-civil-war-dog.html

Last edited:
Maybe some members have seen the story making its way around the Internet right now about the TV judge who used a dog’s “testimony” to resolve a dispute over his ownership. She let him loose in the courtroom to identify his owner. The soldiers of the 11th Ohio, like the judge, knew a dog couldn't lie. They used the same approach to recover Curly after a captain from a neighboring regiment tried to claim him. When the men of the 11th learned that Curly was being held by the captain, they appealed to the man's commanding officer.

T.L. Stewart of Company A, 11th Ohio, told the story:

"The boys of company A, finding Curly had come in set out to find him, and soon did so. The captain claimed the dog and refused to part with him. The colonel of the Tenth, hearing the rumpus, came up to learn what it was all about. Jule Ogier, I think, spoke for Curly and asked only that he be let loose, which the colonel ordered done, when the dog rushed among his friends. So Curly once more took his place at the camp-fire and mess table."
T.L. Stewart's affectionate reminiscence about Curly appears here, in a blog by Larry Stevens.

I am glad Curly survived. I will reveal my trust in faith that there is a very special heavenly judgement for General Cox, for having condemned many dogs to drowning. (Dogs are very good swimmers. Unless they were doomed by bagging them, I'm sure most dogs swam to their own salvation). Regardless, I am utterly contemptuous of Gen. Cox. Some of you will no doubt think I am being too soft on the fate of dogs. Okay....bring it.

I am glad Curly survived. I will reveal my trust in faith that there is a very special heavenly judgement for General Cox, for having condemned many dogs to drowning. (Dogs are very good swimmers. Unless they were doomed by bagging them, I'm sure most dogs swam to their own salvation). Regardless, I am utterly contemptuous of Gen. Cox. Some of you will no doubt think I am being too soft on the fate of dogs. Okay....bring it.
I agree with you. Contemptuous behavior. I bet most dog beat a hasty retreat from this fellow.

Just came across this. apparently originated with the Louisville Journal sometime in the early summer of 1864. This one is from the Providence Evening News, 20 July 1864:
curly1.png

curly2.png

Just learned of Chris Hart, a living-historian from Ohio who writes and performs one-man shows based on historical figures (and a few fictional literary characters as well). Among his many portrayals is Thomas Steward of the 11th Ohio, who gives his presentation about Curly titled "Paws for the Cause." Mr. Hart portrays Thomas Steward in his later years, and speaks about his grief at losing his dog. Here is Mr. Hart's picture in character as Mr. Steward. You can read more about Chris Hart in this blog post.

Back