Curious Wooden Box

roanoke88

Cadet
Hello! I have been a active Civil War enthusiasts since the 70's. Bought a few things but soon found out they were fakes or reproductions. I did find back in the late 1970's this box and was wandering if anyone can give some insight on it. It is deteriorating which would be a waste if it is true period piece which I believe it is. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_0342.JPG

IMG_0346.JPG

Hi and welcome. It looks to me like a fairly normal old storage box from the outside. Are there any special features of the inside? I think the handbills glued to the front are especially interesting.

Hi and welcome. It looks to me like a fairly normal old storage box from the outside. Are there any special features of the inside? I think the handbills glued to the front are especially interesting.
Thanks for such a quick response. The inside is covered in newspaper articles. See attached pics. When I found this at an antique shop near Appomattox is was in such a location you really couldn't tell what it was. The owner dug it out and I was really surprised because the patina on box matched the patina on several things I saw at the Museum of Confederacy. The curator took me in the basement so I saw several different things. Somebody went to trouble to make it. I hate it just setting here gathering dust and I am not getting any younger. Thanks Al

IMG_0855.JPG

IMG_0862.JPG

IMG_0863.JPG

IMG_0864.JPG

Really nice storage box and seems o be period. It falls into the category of "probably" real because it would cost as much to buy the components and make it as its value as a box.

Welcome From THE Heart Of Dixie. Be sure to stop by the Weapons & Ammo and the Uniforms & Relics and Vicksburg forums. Be sure to check out our annual get together "CWT Invades Vicksburg". It appears to be a period storage box. Back in those day they would line them with newspaper. With the State of Virginia electoral broadsides on it, its a unique piece. What the measurements on it?

https://civilwartalk.com/threads/cw...tour-the-official-thread.155709/#post-2006411

Thanks for the additional pictures. I think it's a nice find. I have absolutely no idea how to advise you to preserve the paper items pasted to the wood, but I think it's worth researching paper conservators.

Thanks for the great welcomes and advice! Sending out feelers to see if I can find someone to preserve it.

Hello! I have been a active Civil War enthusiasts since the 70's. Bought a few things but soon found out they were fakes or reproductions. I did find back in the late 1970's this box and was wandering if anyone can give some insight on it. It is deteriorating which would be a waste if it is true period piece which I believe it is. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

View attachment 297054

View attachment 297055
Would you please give some dimensions and a shot of the bottom outside and corner. I think I know what you have.

Sorry for late reply but was in South Georgia, my brother passed. Found out my great great grandfather joined the Confederate Army in 1863. Dimensions are:
12 3/4 side to side
10 1/2 deep
8 high
Hope these pics are what you wanted.

Thanks,
Al

IMG_0923.JPG

IMG_0926.JPG

IMG_0927.JPG

Back