Culp's Hill: Return It To 1863 Appearance?

I say keep it as close to 1863 as possible.

--------------------
I been involved in a similar debate here in Denmark.
In the area around Dybbøl, the location of the main battle in the 2nd Sleswig war in 1864 there are a number of earthworks.
(Maintaining it free of undergrowth is done by using sheep, just like is done on many other historical "monuments" in Denmark. It is effective and cheep.. but I guess easier on rather flat grass areas, compared to the rocky hills of Gettysburg?)

The whole area is protected and nothing can be done. It sound great, but the problem is that they got nothing to do with the war, and are Prussian/Imperial German fortification build in the late 1860ties and expanded during the 1870-71 war with France.

When doing tours in the area you have to keep telling the audience to ignore the earthworks they can see. It make the job of teaching there a lot harder.

So I say flatten them, and rebuild the danish fortifications (and mark the Prussian trench-lines)
Problem is that the biggest one was used for a party in 1920 celebrating the "reunification" and it have been used for this ever sense.

So Danish nationalism in the area protect German fortifications from the period when the area was part of Germany...

Really like the livestock idea. Goats contained by solar powered temporary fencing. The herd could be moved around to different parts of the field as needed. Give each goat a name and id about guarantee they would become celebrities amoung tourist kids and locals alike.

Back