Culp's Hill Restoration-Gettysburg

infomanpa

1st Lieutenant
I was very pleased how easy it is to see several landmarks in the same field of view. Of course, it remains to be seen how it will look when the foliage grows in. First photo is the 150th NY monument with several other monuments in the background.

20210330_144539.jpg

Next, is the view from the 60th NY monument, looking downhill.
20210330_154530.jpg

This shows the Forbes boulder with the top of the hill now visible.
20210330_151008.jpg

The next 2 photos show how much better the earthworks can be seen. It's like an "alley" has been cleared behind the current monuments.
20210330_142644.jpg
20210330_144150.jpg

We did have a scary moment. Ranger Jason Martz was doing a spot with some young conservationists as WHTM -Harrisburg was recording. We heard a loud "crack" sound and a large tree near the General Greene statue came down. Fortunately, none of us were injured. As you can see, General Greene had been trying to warn us by pointing to the tree!
20210330_152924.jpg
20210330_154053.jpg

20210330_153814.jpg

As you drive up Slocum Avenue, look up towards the summit of Culp's Hill somewhere between the 78th/102d NY monument and the 150th NY monument and you can see General Greene pointing down the length of his line, perhaps showing where to erect the breastwork. This view may disappear once the leaves come out.

Nice pics, Mike.

Is this tidy up an attempt to return the hill back to something like it was in 1863?
The short answer is yes. My personal belief is that NPS wants to attract visitors to Culp's as an alternative to Little Round Top. We have been told that Little Round Top will be closed to repave the roads, re-establish the parking areas (including some new bus parking), and shore up the walking paths. The project is expected to take about 18 months. The last official word I heard on this was that it was scheduled to begin sometime in the fall of 2021.

Another theory about the renewed interest in Culp's Hill is that Chris Gwinn, the NPS Ranger who is the Chief of Interpretation, appears to be especially interested in Culp's Hill, perhaps just because it seems to have been neglected in recent decades.

The short answer is yes. My personal belief is that NPS wants to attract visitors to Culp's as an alternative to Little Round Top. We have been told that Little Round Top will be closed to repave the roads, re-establish the parking areas (including some new bus parking), and shore up the walking paths. The project is expected to take about 18 months. The last official word I heard on this was that it was scheduled to begin sometime in the fall of 2021.
LRT has been almost desecrated in recent years, not unlike the song lyrics about paving Paradise to put up a parking lot. Last time I visited with my invalid friend Doug I was disgusted to find the *NEW* spur road leading around Chamberlain's position together with another small parking lot at the base right beneath the 20th Maine Monument, which I admit was convenient for Doug since otherwise he wouldn'tve seen it at all. Most of the summit has likewise been paved over - can't have visitors getting their tootsies damp or - GASP! - risking their necks where they might fall on their lard a**es walking on uneven ground. Plus, it appears the park road has been widened and additional parking added to accommodate ever larger SUV's and tour busses. They might as well just bring back the trolley!

LRT has been almost desecrated in recent years, not unlike the song lyrics about paving Paradise to put up a parking lot. Last time I visited with my invalid friend Doug I was disgusted to find the *NEW* spur road leading around Chamberlain's position together with another small parking lot at the base right beneath the 20th Maine Monument, which I admit was convenient for Doug since otherwise he wouldn'tve seen it at all. Most of the summit has likewise been paved over - can't have visitors getting their tootsies damp or - GASP! - risking their necks where they might fall on their lard a**es walking on uneven ground. Plus, it appears the park road has been widened and additional parking added to accommodate ever larger SUV's and tour busses. They might as well just bring back the trolley!
At one time the park road ran right alongside the 140th NY and 44th NY Monuments. So, if you think there is too much blacktop now, just imagine what it was like at that time. Unsightly as it may seem, the blacktop holds up better under the heavy foot traffic the bare dirt. From the plans I have seen, at least some the walking paths proposed in the renovation will be some sort of gravel.

As you drive up Slocum Avenue, look up towards the summit of Culp's Hill somewhere between the 78th/102d NY monument and the 150th NY monument and you can see General Greene pointing down the length of his line, perhaps showing where to erect the breastwork. This view may disappear once the leaves come out.

Nice pics, Mike.
When the leaves fill in, we will really see how good the restorative work will be. Another note about the statue: I believe that Greene was facing the old road that originally went to the Culp's Hill summit.

When the leaves fill in, we will really see how good the restorative work will be. Another note about the statue: I believe that Greene was facing the old road that originally went to the Culp's Hill summit.
Currently - or at least as recently as 2018 when I was there last - Greene's "best side" is totally lost; it makes sense that he would've been facing towards a vantage point like a road instead of showing his backside to a parking lot! I had to "work on" getting a decent angle to photograph him:

DSC04502.JPG

I was also interested in what the restoration was looking like on Culps Hill... Normally hang out around Wheatfield area; but a couple of weeks ago went to Culps hill with camera in hand; a camera modified to shoot Black and White Infrared... The leaves are out- "white glow" in near red spectrum...

Several photos attached...

General George Greene...
General Green lr.jpg

Clio recording history on Culps Hill...

Clio Recording History Culps Hill lr.jpg

Knap's Battery [Co E] PA...

Knaps Battery CO E PA lr.jpg

Stay off the skyline; 1st MD eastern shore...

Stay off the skyline 1st MD eastern shore lr.jpg

60th NY...

60th NY lr.jpg

String of monuments... 7th OH 137th NY 29th OH 122nd NY...

7OH 137NY 29OH 122NY lr.jpg

Stevens Battery on the knoll...

Stevens Battery 5thME lr.jpg

78th NY and 102nd NY...

78th NY and 102nd NY lr.jpg

Back