CSS/USS Atlanta - modified by Union yards?

I don't believe all of those blotches are gunports. From left to right, I see a blotch, a port with the muzzle of a gun run out through it, a closed port, and two blotches, one of which must be a gunport. We need a clearer image of the port side.
Could one or more of those "blotches" be coaling ports? On some of the southern ironclads you wonder how they handled coaling and victualing. If Rebel's description of her ironing is correct then perhaps it would be easier to modify the casemate than we generally thought. I assume that the USN acquired most of the extra gear for Atlanta with her capture (awnings, etc). I also wonder where the fittings were for a donkey boiler and engine for pumps which should have come with the donor vessel.

Apart from the obvious battle damage, they removed the spar torpedo (wonder what happened to it?). So far as I am aware she went into USN service pretty much as was. When sold to the Haitians she had to have been re armed, as her Brookes were taken off, but what with?

"The ship retained her name and was commissioned again on 2 February 1864, rearmed with a pair of 8-inch (203 mm), 150-pound Parrott rifles in the bow and stern and 6.4-inch, 100-pound Parrott rifles amidships"

Anyone read this article?

UNFOUNDED HOPES: A Design Analysis of the Confederate Ironclad Steamer CSS Atlanta

William C. Emerson
Warship International
Vol. 32, No. 4 (1995), pp. 367-387 (24 pages)

Back