CSS Shenandoah oil painting

So I have finally talked to some local people about it. It was given to anne bond in 1970 one year after the book that the capt of the css Alabama wrote. One of the pictures in the book are from the original painting that I have. Apparently he came to fairhope Alabama allot and thats where I got the painting. The capt did it and a lithograph company in Boston printed it for his book from what I understand. I live near Mobile Alabama. Or semmes, Alabama. Named after the capt. ..

So it is the painting that the engraver used for the picture in the book that the capt wrote and published in 1869.

I can make out a signature that is “S -me-“ I can’t see where the dashes are. Maybe Semmes!

Wow.

So apparently it really helps to talk to the person that you buy paintings from about the story behind them before spending so much time reserching unknowns lol

So I have finally talked to some local people about it. It was given to anne bond in 1970 one year after the book that the capt of the css Alabama wrote. One of the pictures in the book are from the original painting that I have. Apparently he came to fairhope Alabama allot and thats where I got the painting. The capt did it and a lithograph company in Boston printed it for his book from what I understand. I live near Mobile Alabama. Or semmes, Alabama. Named after the capt. ..

So it is the painting that the engraver used for the picture in the book that the capt wrote and published in 1869.

I can make out a signature that is “S -me-“ I can’t see where the dashes are. Maybe Semmes!

Wow.

So apparently it really helps to talk to the person that you buy paintings from about the story behind them before spending so much time reserching unknowns lol
its similar but appears to have subtle difference to me. most noticeably the one in the book isn't flying the national flag, also appears minor variations in waves, clouds and rigging

Last edited:
its similar but appears to have subtle difference to me. most noticeably the one in the book isn't flying the national flag, also appears minor variations in waves and rigging

Book version-p 476 memoirs of sevice aflost

serviceafloatwar00semmrich_0492_zps7xysdr5j.jpg

The engraver left it out because of possible controversy for the Baltimore publishing company that lithographed the image maybe

Anyone have any advice on where I would sell a painting like this. I hate to just put it on eBay.

Why not ebay? Its poor condition, you say you cant even make out the painters name, we know it doesn't match the one used in the book exactly so its hard to definitely say what is even a copy of what........

But look where the research lead you. You got replies from some of the CWT members most knowledgeable about Naval matters.

I live near Mobile Alabama. Or semmes, Alabama. Named after the capt. ..
So much history right in your backyard. Please stick around and post more in our forum. Each time I pass through Mobile without being able to stop is torture. I can't close my eyes either because I am usually the one driving. :D Welcome to CivilWarTalk.

Reactions: WJC
Yes. It is near identical. The painting is up for sale. Anyone that is interested please make me an offer.

It matches the engraving in the book, but absent direct evidence otherwise, I'd venture that the painting is a copy of the published engraving, not the other way 'round.

Back