CSS Arkansas 1/96th scale resin model build (2018)

RAS is spot on, @Tut11 I would suggest that you consider a 'Forever Home' for your masterpiece, where the public can enjoy it. Beyond whatever hefty tax writeoff you'd receive, let me articulate the full broadside of putting your work out there.

1) How many of us, as relatively young children, saw models and dioramas in museums that set our passion(s) for history in motion?

2) We're in agreement, that we should all be pulling on the oars to interest younger generations?

Your model is one hell of a catalyst waiting to happen.
Great Ideas, and your correct the models displayed have set passions for history and the future. Love the cartoon...very true!

Hull before and after oil work. Might add one more coat, but it does take about a week for it to dry for detail of the wood to come out. More images coming soon work still in progress. We should have the CSS Arkansas finished by next month. (Hopefully)
20180610_175822.jpg
20180802_115046_001.jpg

After very tedious work these cannons are ready for the case mate placement. Interior case mate tie rings and lights are being worked on and will post when that implementation is finished. Have had problems with lights and had to order some very small specialized lights, custom made. My homemade one were breaking constantly so went for a special made light just for the Arkansas. The fiber optic will fit inside and light them up in a micro circuit which I have designed. Will take more time but she will light up. I have even been thinking of a micro speaker with cannon firing sounds, with a little help from a friend it just might be possible with activation buttons outside the glass case, which I would raise 1mm to let the sound out. But it's a thought and depends on a lot of specialized parts.
20180807_204737.jpg

Tool racks are completed for the walls, and look pretty good. Fine tune sanding is being worked on to fit all parts snugly. The rear hull will have to be fine tuned with black walnut also for a snug fit and looks. If you look close you can see the racks, I might paint them a little lighter for them to stand out better, but I'll see. The ram is coming along for painting and wash detail and will post that also when it's finished. Believe it or not; I still have fine tune painting going on for the men and other parts. Also the cannon tie rings are in place under the cannon windows, if you enlarger you can see them. The other tie rings are on the cannon's and will be placed when I set the cannon's in their permanent location.

20180813_212943_001.jpg

20180813_212927.jpg

20180813_212900.jpg

Been busy as we all during the summer but here's the update for the ram. Have to do a little touch up paining and it will look nice with the contrast in a metal looking ram with rust of course. The lighting kit is being slowly put in with holes being drilled as the holes for the cannon doors are now finished along with all that painting. They will go in when all the interior is placed and secured (glue down).
My lanterns have not arrived yet, but should be here soon and then I can add the fiber to the top and drop it down inside them for a realistic look. I'll post more images on that operation and with the fiber optic when I work the steps out for assembly. The problem is that this ship has a bunch of detailed parts to install and a special sequence has to be followed so it all works right.
I will be making the roof with the stack removable to see the interior work, and is a little complicated because of all the parts involved on the roof and underneath it. Then I have to have the lighting circuit with the fiber battery accessible for change out when it used up.
My friend and I are trying to come up with the sound effect but it's not going to be cheap. Nothing ever is, plus the model is packed as it is now so the sounds might go bye -bye. We'll see.
Stay tuned as all the parts are just about finished and will start to put the interior together soon with all cannons also placed. It takes time for these ships but the end result is worth it!

20180821_142955.jpg

20180821_143008.jpg

20180821_143343.jpg

20180821_143710.jpg

The company which I was going to use wanted way to much money for the lanterns. So I went back to the drawing board and finally got a good representation for the lanterns with them being able to except the .25mm fiber optic line. One down and nine more to go. :happy: it even has a special drilled leaded yellow crystal insert which when lighted up should look very realistic.

20180823_210332.jpg

Been busy with life's solutions also sadly had two family members pass away during last month. When it rains it pours! But have been able to work on the Arkansas some and almost have all the interior pieces placed, will have to do a little touch up painting inside the case-mate and will be ready for adding life boats and exterior parts later this week. The lighting kit for her had failed in placement because of space constraint's and fiber breaking as I did tight bends to hid it..oh well.

The case-mate roof will be able to be removed completely to show the interior work and detail along with a white base board with brass mounting hardware for the ships mount will be added too. . The davits and anchors along with the propellers with drive shafts will also be added. I might have the completed model done by next month and apologize for not updating the build.

The custom glass case will be the finishing touch along with the engraved name plate. Then the CSS Alabama along with a couple of small CSS model ships will be started next and will have build blogs for each one. The interior placement work was extremely complicated and tight working space's, very time consuming. As you can see from the images this ship was packed..amazing that she had two hundred plus men aboard!

20181013_224935_001.jpg

20181013_224951.jpg

20181013_225016_001.jpg

20181013_225116.jpg

Been busy with life's solutions also sadly had two family members pass away during last month. When it rains it pours! But have been able to work on the Arkansas some and almost have all the interior pieces placed, will have to do a little touch up painting inside the case-mate and will be ready for adding life boats and exterior parts later this week. The lighting kit for her had failed in placement because of space constraint's and fiber breaking as I did tight bends to hid it..oh well.

The case-mate roof will be able to be removed completely to show the interior work and detail along with a white base board with brass mounting hardware for the ships mount will be added too. . The davits and anchors along with the propellers with drive shafts will also be added. I might have the completed model done by next month and apologize for not updating the build.

The custom glass case will be the finishing touch along with the engraved name plate. Then the CSS Alabama along with a couple of small CSS model ships will be started next and will have build blogs for each one. The interior placement work was extremely complicated and tight working space's, very time consuming. As you can see from the images this ship was packed..amazing that she had two hundred plus men aboard!

View attachment 207176

View attachment 207177

View attachment 207178

View attachment 207179
I don't think I have any words to adequately describe this model and the effort and care that is going into it.

I'll be adding the railings and steps on the outside case-mate. Per these drawings from Flagship models for their plans of their model ship, which is also a excellent representation of the Arkansas and cheaper than the kit I am working on. These rails will have to be ordered special of course, this way they will be the correct scale to this ship build.

Arkansas-Page-02 rail.jpg

Arkansas-Page-02 rail detail.jpg

As of today here's how she's shaping up:

20181014_123423.jpg

I don't think I have any words to adequately describe this model and the effort and care that is going into it.

Thanks Rebel! Seem's I do have a flag position question which might matter for your expert opinion. Most flags are positioned to the rear of the ships, there are images from historical data that seem to imply Arkansas flag was actually mounted on the roof of the rear case-mate and a pendent flag mounted on front. So should I mount the flag on the roof of the case-mate or the aft of the ship? Probably doesn't matter but would like to know if the location is described in any historical lit, so far I have found none except some old images.

Amazing that 200+ were on board. I bet the lower deck was just as tight for space. Amazing work!!! It will look fabulous once finished. I'm sure the upcoming Alabama project will be as well!!!

Last edited:
Thanks Rebel! Seem's I do have a flag position question which might matter for your expert opinion. Most flags are positioned to the rear of the ships, there are images from historical data that seem to imply Arkansas flag was actually mounted on the roof of the rear case-mate and a pendent flag mounted on front. So should I mount the flag on the roof of the case-mate or the aft of the ship? Probably doesn't matter but would like to know if the location is described in any historical lit, so far I have found none except some old images.
Yes, the First National Flag should be on a mast on the aft end of the casemate roof. The flag on the bow jack is a bit uncertain but it should be a square version of the Bonny Blue flag which was the CSN naval jack at the time. In action of course it wouldn't be there.

Yes, the First National Flag should be on a mast on the aft end of the casemate roof. The flag on the bow jack is a bit uncertain but it should be a square version of the Bonny Blue flag which was the CSN naval jack at the time. In action of course it wouldn't be there.

Excellent, will make it the correct historical way for the flags. Bonny Blue will be on the front. Thanks Rebel.

Amazing that 200+ were on board. I bet the lower desk was just as tight for space. Amazing work!!! It will look fabulous once finished. I'm sure the upcoming Alabama project will be as well!!!

Thanks.

The Alabama will be interesting for just a plastic kit, the model is a monster! Was doing some preliminary parts research and looks to be a lot of copper for her hull, but will look nice.

Imagine being in the case-mate when all the cannons were firing...bet there was a bunch of cotton in those sailors ears!

Here's today's image's..we have propulsion. :happy:
20181015_192059.jpg

20181015_191912_001.jpg

1) Said it before, this belongs in a museum.
2) All of your posts and pics should be gather on a website for this built, Tut. Tumblr is a free and simple option, barring anything else.
3) Someone in the peanut gallery here should be able to help you set up a more elaborate CSS Arkansas webpage.
4) At the very least, you could copy-paste each of your posts here onto your own thread at http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewforum.php?f=13

Back