CSS Alabama plastic model build 2018-2019 (Revell 1/96)

A little dab of ca glue on about an inch of the end of the thread is like a needle to help get it through small openings. I have used bees wax with no problems, dust is going to get on the lines anyway if the model is not cased.

Here's the steps it took to tie these down without knotting the needle or the threader when working on them.
Took awhile to figure out the steps but when it finally worked out they went smoothly to install and not get all tangled up when doing them.

The first step: Material
20190402_023550.jpg

Second step: Threading the loop and the needle properly.
20190402_023959.jpg

Third step: Threaded properly.
20190402_024048.jpg

Step four: Ready for hammock install.
20190402_024121.jpg

Step five: Sewing from top started.

20190402_024152.jpg

Step six: Pulling threw for nail mount setup and needle removal.

20190402_024222.jpg

Step seven: Needle removal and tie loop setup with tight nail mount.

20190402_024318.jpg

Step eight: Loop behind nail mount for double knot tie off.

20190402_024358.jpg

Step nine: Back tie off for loop with tight pull up for securing main knot tie off.

20190402_024421.jpg

Step ten: Tight knot tie down completed.

20190402_024452.jpg

Step eleven: Apply maxi cure ca and cut excess off, finished tie down detail. Then repeat steps all over again for next tie down.

20190402_024530.jpg

As we know it takes slow movements and a gentle touch as not to strip the soft cotton or the thread when doing these type of tie downs. I am very satisfied with the outcome and have completed all of them. Moving on for rigging and mast install, will post images when I get the fore mast installed as it will be plastic and wood which will need to be painted and prep for rigging.

Here's what I'm doing for the mast changes from the plastic kit. Kinda cheating to keep everything the same scale without driving myself crazy scaling all the scratch built parts. Dead eyes are 3 mm and will paint the mount black when I finish adding the other dead eyes before final assembly. Also drilling the small parts for adding the brass eyes for block tie downs.

The added square wood extensions are 1/32" square basswood as I knew I was going to have to fine drill each one and wanted as much strength as possible for them. I will be cheating a little for these but they will look close to what the knots should for the dead eye mounts.

Black walnut dowel, shaped for the upper extension of the mizzen main mast is above the small ruler. I'll have to make a few of these for added strength for extensions and masts.

20190404_160824.jpg

20190404_160837.jpg

20190404_160837 b.jpg

I'm totally lost here Tut. You're way beyond my understanding of what all these detailing procedures are. Keep up the great work!!! Your rendition will make for a nice museum addition

I'm totally lost here Tut. You're way beyond my understanding of what all these detailing procedures are. Keep up the great work!!! Your rendition will make for a nice museum addition

Thanks JP. It will make sense when I show the other images as the rigging commences. As usual it's all about prep work so i don't forget something and then have to tear something apart to fix it. Since this is so very fragile it has to be done right the first time around, but we all make mistakes. Plus combining plastic and wood is a little tedious and has to be strong enough to hold up the tightening of the rigging,Wood blocks are ordered too and still have to get more different types and you will see them in the future images.

The first image looks like when I took an old Philco radio apart. How do you keep track of where everything goes?
hahhahhahahaha!! or another good one is when you mess up re-stringing the spool on your weed whacker and it goes "ka boing" all over the place. I dated a girl in the early 80's that had hair like that

hahhahhahahaha!! or another good one is when you mess up re-stringing the spool on your weed whacker and it goes "ka boing" all over the place. I dated a girl in the early 80's that had hair like that

Naw not that bad, the trick is prep and remembering your sequence for them. For the larger wooden ships you actually take tape and number each one because you have a few hundred to deal with and that's the fun of it! Oh.. and always leave more rigging on the ends than you think you need.

Here's the first stomp mounts, these are work in progress.
20190406_063407_001.jpg

Progressing nicely and all the stomps are done and touch up painting is finished also completed one of the extension booms, working on others and hope to have them all completed by tomorrow. Then finally start concentrating on the rigging and mast work. I had found a small brass flat piece which I have used before for special scratch built parts and it worked wonderful for the extension mount hardware, I will leave it brass in color as it gives nice definition and detail to the boom.
20190604_225558.jpg

20190604_225628.jpg

20190605_000957.jpg

20190605_001001.jpg

Going threw all my plans and knowing that blocks and rigging should be added to the extensions, just the BlueJackets plan actually show the blocks and rigging associated with them. So I will be adding these to the extensions. I'm seriously considering adding the sails to her also, but will have to make some from scratch. Never tackled the sails before so I will consider this carefully for this model. Might just do roll ups as to show off the rigging better. Something to contemplate for awhile.

20190308_075404 11.jpg

Tut11

IIRC, the Revell 1/96th Kearsarge is almost identical to the Revell 1/96th Alabama.....Those are nice pics of the Kearsarge shown above!!!!! It has life boats' hulls and the aft dingy's hull painted white. Was that correct???? I know you opted to not paint the Alabama's life boats white.

Thanks gentlemen for the appreciation. Those stomps were a terror as they kept breaking on install and nail insert. But after a very patient placement of them, they didn't turn out to bad. I had to order some special blocks and I think they will be in this week for the rigging as i thought I had all the ones I needed. For those interested Syren is the best quality on blocks and material, get a chance and check them out. Great prices too. https://www.syrenshipmodelcompany.com/

@JPChurch Yes the two are very close, from my understanding Revell used the hulls of them from the same mold. The Kearsarge is a fine ship and with the right additions for the old Revell (1960's) model it can be made into a fine model. I do have some research papers coming in on the above model pictured and will post the docs when i get them scanned, be awhile though before I will have them scanned and setup for a file. i do believe that the smaller boats were different on the Kearsarge and the documentation should have the correct historical information. As you see on the images it had a small steamer for one of them, but this is the 1888 refit representation, so for the representation when she sank the Alabama more research will be needed.

Tut11

Last edited:
IIRC, the Revell 1/96th Kearsarge is almost identical to the Revell 1/96th Alabama.....Those are nice pics of the Kearsarge shown above!!!!! It has life boats' hulls and the aft dingy's hull painted white. Was that correct???? I know you opted to not paint the Alabama's life boats white.
Colours of ships boats are a much vexed question. Most navies issued instructions but often these were "interpreted" by individual captains or to meet their own fancies, one RN Admiral insisting on having his barge painted red, another yellow, with the result that his boats crew were known as the canaries!
With both Alabama and Kearsage being very much independent commands, unless we find evidence to the contrary, white, black or just plain varnished timber will fit the bill as you wish.

Colours of ships boats are a much vexed question. Most navies issued instructions but often these were "interpreted" by individual captains or to meet their own fancies, one RN Admiral insisting on having his barge painted red, another yellow, with the result that his boats crew were known as the canaries!
With both Alabama and Kearsage being very much independent commands, unless we find evidence to the contrary, white, black or just plain varnished timber will fit the bill as you wish.

Rebel I appreciate the data, your help is greatly appreciated and needed from your historical expertise. Didn't know that about the Canaries, very interesting.

Back