CSS Alabama plastic model build 2018-2019 (Revell 1/96)

I try to keep my work area as clear as possible but it always ends up the same in short order. The model is a made up design of an ironclad, one of two I have in mind. There are only two existing models, Monitor and Virginia, others have been "retired" throughout the years. As for your model, I would leave the sails off so as to see all the rigging detail. Looking good so far.

I have a tendency to agree about the sails, I will probably do roll ups on the masts.

Here's a couple more of that era. The steamer has a boiler and engine. the side wheels rotate when it goes through the water, a servo controls the rudder.

View attachment 298371

View attachment 298372

View attachment 298373

Magnificent work!! Very impressive, like to see you start a blog on that made up Ironclad model. The design is very unique. I bet the paddle wheel is a beauty in the water. Please feel free to post your models also for CW ships. Members love seeing the hard work on these 21st century models and have enjoyed many in the past. If you ever need research on Confederate ships @rebelatsea has a wonderful new book here:

https://www.wargamevault.com/produc...derate-States-Navy-1861-1865?src=newest_since

WE have many a expert on the site. Also if you have any research information on any CW ship that we don't have or questions please post them also.

Love the diorama!!

Hammock's in work's, will be a few days to get them right.
Here's how the hammock representation is turning out. I have used black walnut for the wood bevels and 100% cotton tee shirt sleeve trim which is rolled up to the small size as not to overpower this detail. The second image just show it layed down to show how it looks with the model. Will probably die them a light yellow for UV effect. The tie down rope will be sewn in and I'll show a a image of one completed soon also. These are work in progress, ca is applied to the wood and to keep the roll tight.

20190322_162630.jpg

20190322_162730.jpg

Here is a video of the Bamberg in the water. It has two diferent top structures, one with a single funnel and another with two funnels. It gets top heavy with side wheels and two funnels so I change out to one funnel. The side wheels can also be easily removed and it can run with the two funnel version. It was my first and only attempt at a working model, and I realized it should have had a wider beam.

Attack of the Giant Seadog.

Here is a video of the Bamberg in the water. It has two diferent top structures, one with a single funnel and another with two funnels. It gets top heavy with side wheels and two funnels so I change out to one funnel. The side wheels can also be easily removed and it can run with the two funnel version. It was my first and only attempt at a working model, and I realized it should have had a wider beam.

Beautiful Lab for sure, but I don't think this puppy would make any Duck Hunting Teams within the Mississippi Delta.

:bounce:

She's a beauty!! Nice displacement also, great movement. Thanks for posting them.

This actually turned out better than I expected. Once my sweetie and I figured out the build and install process it moves very quickly. I have a couple outside tie downs done and will work to complete all eight of them and then start the tie downs on the inside. Add's a nice detail and was a challenge to figure out how to make it work. So far so good. I'll paint and stain in place very carefully. They are sewn in place after the ca dries for the wood mounts, then just very gently up and down with the tightness on the 2 mm nails drilled in place and glued with ca also.

I'll post them finished for the outside tie downs hopefully tomorrow, and show a couple inside tie downs done too. Without adding the extra bass wood planks for the top of the bulwarks, these added details couldn't have been done to this plastic model and look close to historical information.

20190323_191050.jpg

20190323_191058.jpg

20190323_200553.jpg

20190323_200600.jpg

Last edited:
I can see a museum quality piece taking place. I'm glad it's you and not me doing this.
Me too, I spent 9 weeks doing mine while I was out on job related back injury. And I spent 3-4 hours a day for weeks at a time. And that wasn't enough......I had to get back to work!!!!

Just wait till it's rigging time.

Well I love to do the rigging and enjoy the knot work for the ratlines and other rigging. Have rigged a few ship in my lifetime with good outcomes. It's all about sequence of the line so you don't cause yourself confusion in doing them and each ship has it's unique rigging. Oh and always use bees wax on them.

Knots a tying; completed all the outside hammock tie downs. Kinda like the pure white color and now undecided as to stain them or not. I also have started the inside tie downs which take more care and time as not to damage the other detail parts on the deck, figure a couple days to finish all of them inside on the bulwarks. She's moving to the rigging soon, I'll probably make a few custom ropes for certain lines. Will have to pick some specialty wooden blocks also, so I'll be getting those ordered.

The third image shows the mini knots for the inside, which are actually installed upside down so to create the loop upward as there is not enough room from the deck up to tie them properly, took me awhile to figure out how to get them tied in place and sewn in place, not to shabby. Need to find some miniature hook needles. Thinking about fish hooks, the smallest ones would probably work.

20190325_113502.jpg

20190325_113540.jpg

20190325_113517.jpg

I'm just watching in awed fascination !

Thank you Rebel, I think I have three more months on her and it will be glass time. Then onto a couple more CSS ships, probably the Virginia and the Monitor and of course the Manansas. Which have a couple more parts coming in and copper tape which i will start soon.

Looks fantastic...you're almost ready for all the real fun. Rigging. I used spit, that is, I'd dampen the lines by running them through my mouth prior to cutting lengths and tying knots (of course a can(s) of beer helps with keeping your mouth hydrated), then I'd use a dab of Elmer's white school glue to seal off the knots once I was happy with wherever a knot would be once successfully tied off. I would think beeswax would attract dust and it would stick, good thing you're a fan of keeping your ship models encased in glass!!!! I'm not familiar with the CSS Manassas. Will have to look that vessel up!!!

Back