CSS Alabama plastic model build 2018-2019 (Revell 1/96)

Is that the same Revell kit shown pictured? It sure looks nice with the full sails. It's your decision, wrapping them up during full steam while confronting Union vessels or battling the Kearsarge, or full sail for long voyages between ports of call. That ship did sail all around the world. I agree, ask the membership here on CWT. Full sail or wrapped up.

Don't think that's a bell. It's either a powder flask or to hold a quantity of water for some purpose. I'm s peechless about the model though, I can't find words.
Interesting, it looked like a bell hanging there. Many thanks Rebel, I'll make a small flask in the same shape and add a couple. It's a honor to have your admiration for the model.

I have had a accident and the Tuts model dry dock has broken. One leg in the corner got snagged and the particle board (dummy me) cracked right at the leg. I'm purchasing a sheet of 3/4" plywood to make a new table and will be back at it in a few days. I'll post the new Tuts dry dock soon. I have made a repair on it but it's just a patch as it can't be moved with it's multiple pounds of tools and parts on it, so I've learned a lesson on that particle board which I will never use again as a mobile table work space! :banghead:

Interesting, it looked like a bell hanging there. Many thanks Rebel, I'll make a small flask in the same shape and add a couple. It's a honor to have your admiration for the model.

I have had a accident and the Tuts model dry dock has broken. One leg in the corner got snagged and the particle board (dummy me) cracked right at the leg. I'm purchasing a sheet of 3/4" plywood to make a new table and will be back at it in a few days. I'll post the new Tuts dry dock soon. I have made a repair on it but it's just a patch as it can't be moved with it's multiple pounds of tools and parts on it, so I've learned a lesson on that particle board which I will never use again as a mobile table work space! :banghead:
Particle board is No Bueno, hope your house wasn't constructed with that stuff, especially up on the roof. Both of my work benches are topped with 1/2" plywood

Wouldn't be too sure about plywood either, it can warp without you noticing - plays havoc if you need aperfectly level surface. used as a worktop it should be ok though.

Particle board is No Bueno, hope your house wasn't constructed with that stuff, especially up on the roof. Both of my work benches are topped with 1/2" plywood

It worked great for a couple of years but I added another magnifier light to the side that broke, to much weight for the one leg. Oh well gives me a chance to upgrade the table and add some other items into the build like a plan holder and a rope spool for all the different model ropes I have along with a parts rack at the back for individual part bags to be identified quickly and be able to see them all at once, besides flipping threw them in a parts box.

Plus I'll upgrade the wheels and have a larger work table which is needed. I did do a temp repair and it's holding with braces, so I'm able to work on it again and will have some images of the model as I am painting the outside hull for details before I start all the rigging. The new one will be braced better and stronger.... more model space to build more models.

Wouldn't be too sure about plywood either, it can warp without you noticing - plays havoc if you need aperfectly level surface. used as a worktop it should be ok though.

I agree Rebel, this one will be beefed up for a stronger surface to work from and a little higher as my old eyes seem to be getting worse, but that's why I have the lighted magnifiers which are large to help. I have a couple of outbuilding which I can convert very easily for a model shop but I like being in the family room and have access to the family and stuff at the house is why I like my mobile model tables so much..they really work great..just don't over load a light table with to much weight like I did.

I also have picked up on the anchor mounts on the kit as being wrong as the were davits and not what used on the model. Open the PDF and the correct deck plans are there, just scroll down. Excellent reference.

Attachments

• document.pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 197
Is that the same Revell kit shown pictured? It sure looks nice with the full sails. It's your decision, wrapping them up during full steam while confronting Union vessels or battling the Kearsarge, or full sail for long voyages between ports of call. That ship did sail all around the world. I agree, ask the membership here on CWT. Full sail or wrapped up.
Yes it is the model shown JP.

Been cleaning and painting small parts for added details will have more deck images soon.

20190203_194134.jpg

20190203_194142.jpg

20190203_194149.jpg

Deck images of detail work going on and hope to have all of it done in a couple of days, besides the men themselves which will take awhile to paint and will probably leave them for the last thing I do and placement. Many parts are ordered for the rigging and will start it soon also.

20190205_073129_001.jpg
20190205_073140.jpg
20190205_073152.jpg
20190205_073231_001.jpg
20190205_073302.jpg

Awesome, great pics!! I like the last two "up close" ones. Details and all the additions look great!!!
Thanks, JP. Painting still going on as work on all the secondary boats is commencing. I 'll have some image later on, should have the extra parts coming in this week and start working on the dead eyes and the hammocks. The Revell model is incorrect for the anchor mounts so I'll be changing the bow wood work to amend the davit for installation. Also I'll be adding more brass eyes for the bow to compensate for the extra rigging and chains.

Waiting for parts sometime takes awhile and they finally arrived. 3.5mm and 5mm dead eyes along with the small bottom brackets. Here's some work in progress for scratch building the strops. Alabama needs per historical data 56 of them for the rat lines. I have 20 built and will be working a couple of days to finish all the rest them, then onto drilling placement and mounting at the proper angles. I'll have to drill and nail the brackets also which will be delicate and time consuming, but should turn out fairly nice in detailing. Plus they will be good and strong to handle the tie downs.

The wire is 7cm long and the three hole bracket is cut down to two hole. Tools and parts associated for building and finishing them.

20190224_085027.jpg

20190224_085027 b.jpg

Last edited:
Waiting for parts sometime takes awhile and they finally arrived. 3.5mm and 5mm dead eyes along with the small bottom brackets. Here's some work in progress for scratch building the stromps. Alabama needs per historical data 56 of them for the rat lines. I have 20 built and will be working a couple of days to finish all the rest then onto drilling placement and mounting at the proper angles. I'll have to drill and nail the brackets also which will be delicate and time consuming, but should turn out fairly nice in detailing. Plus they will be good and strong to handle the tie downs.

The wire is 7cm long and the three hole bracket is cut down to two hole. Tools and parts associated for building and finishing them.

View attachment 293982

View attachment 293983
Very nice!! Amazing detail. Have you given any thought as to the placement of the 1/96 scale figures, i.e., Semmes, the junior officers and the various crew members??

Very nice!! Amazing detail. Have you given any thought as to the placement of the 1/96 scale figures, i.e., Semmes, the junior officers and the various crew members??

Thanks JP, just a little slow in getting it built again. No I haven't as of yet ... Ideas? Those men are so nicely detailed will be a slow process for painting, but they will look like real confederates. :D I figure I have about 3 more months and should be done and ready for glass. The men will be the last item i will place on the deck.

I have 20 built and will be working a couple of days to finish all the rest them, then onto drilling placement and mounting at the proper angles. I'll have to drill and nail the brackets also which will be delicate and time consuming
This Sir, is why the rest of us have such high regard & respect for you and the other professional modelers of historic ships.

Well, the 1/96 crew members are more dinky than the 1/72nd stuff (like the vintage CW soldiers and HO railroads). I would think Semmes and the rest of the Confederate officers wore some type of naval uniform when taking prizes/demanding surrender/boarding ships and finally when facing off with the Kearsarge. Certainly they were polished and dressed to the nines when photographed in Cape Town. How the entire ship's company appeared/dressed during long time periods apart from action is anyone's supposition.

Back