CSS Alabama plastic model build 2018-2019 (Revell 1/96)

Wow!!! on the cannons!! Which one is shown??
The 8" is shown almost finished, the 7" is the one shown with all the extra parts around it.

Also the revell kit masts are incorrect for amount of sail poles, it has only three as the true CSS Alabama had four:

20180613_154042.jpg

Original plan:
3979379540292ae99cab852c76484af5.jpg

So I'll be adjusting the poles and mast sizes to get them correct. This is important as the rigging also changes with four instead of three.

Another correction is the anchor controls for the chains and placements, the revell model is wrong and will fix this also. Here's the correct controls for the anchors as per the "Bluejacket model" which is the best representation for a model historically correct so far presented as the ship looked.
4.png

Close up on chain locks:
4 a.jpg

Another view:
47 aa.jpg

I'll make these from scratch, which won't be that hard to do. I'll also add the extra bollards for chain control also.
Cannon's are being painted and drying, other parts are being painted and drying also.

The new rigging placements will take about two months for completion. The model will probably be still at six to seven months for a finished product.

Looks to be about 940 separate parts for the model when finished and painted. Might be a little more depending on extra's I'll add.

As a sidenote the U.S.S Kearsage just returned from a 7 month deployment this past friday at the Mayport Naval base here in Jacksonville.
OOHHHH.....picture's man please!!! The Revell model is going for $850.00 if you can believe it!!

Believe it or not the 8" CI cannon at top of images still has more to go, I figure another 10 hours to finish it as i will be working on it tonight for the added rigging. These are not for the faint of heart as they are very delicate and tweezers are a must with clean hands. The holes in the eyes had to be drilled larger for rope placements before you assemble them in place.
Touch up painting isn't finished as that will be the last thing done. The representation of the CI kit is extraordinary for the 8" cannon detail, this is the first one as the 7" is drying and will hopefully start assembly of it tomorrow. I still have the 32 pounders, six of them to go....these will take time also to complete and in hopes I will have all of them done in a weeks time with a bunch of hours to put into them.

Here's the comparison of the revell cannon with the CI cannon upgrade. Personally I like both, but I am leaning toward the CI cannon for better historical detail. The scale ruler is in cm and mm for reference.

20181215_165643.jpg

20181215_165635.jpg

You must be a Victorian...they all had too much time on their hands.
Since winter is here I do have the time and fortunate I have a understanding sweetie. The problem... I do have is not enough time, as there are a bunch of these models I would like to complete from The Civil war era. The USS Monitor from CI and the USS Monadnock with the CSS Albemarle which has a scale picket boat included. I'll have to sneak a couple of the models into future presents. Also the CSS Palmetto state will probably be my next order. William's (CI) not getting any younger so I'm waiting to get the kits before he retires, then their gone. If anyone else is interested in them; my suggestion is get them as soon as you can for your favorite.

Here's CI web site, check out their kits under the products tab.
http://cottageindustrymodels.com/

Are those ropes to scale
Their close just a tad bit smaller, as the larger size rope is to big for the eyes to fit threw and didn't want to add larger eyes, would have made the cannon model out of balance.

Here's true size comparison image:

1481073292128.jpg

Since winter is here I do have the time and fortunate I have a understanding sweetie. The problem... I do have is not enough time, as there are a bunch of these models I would like to complete from The Civil war era. The USS Monitor from CI and the USS Monadnock with the CSS Albemarle which has a scale picket boat included. I'll have to sneak a couple of the models into future presents. Also the CSS Palmetto state will probably be my next order. William's (CI) not getting any younger so I'm waiting to get the kits before he retires, then their gone. If anyone else is interested in them; my suggestion is get them as soon as you can for your favorite.

Here's CI web site, check out their kits under the products tab.
http://cottageindustrymodels.com/
They have some cool stuff.

OOHHHH.....picture's man please!!! The Revell model is going for $850.00 if you can believe it!!
1/96th kit of the Kearsarge or the Alabama?? The cannons look great!!! I didn't realize the Revell kit had so many things wrong with it. Makes me feel like all of my efforts were worthless now since I didn't correct anything. BUT, I put mine together without the use of the internet (I didn't have a home PC back then) for reference and I went strictly by the instructions provided in the kit.

That model looks to be comin along beautifully! Only bad thing is it makes me wish there was a full scale, sailing replica built off the original plans of Alabama.

1/96th kit of the Kearsarge or the Alabama?? The cannons look great!!! I didn't realize the Revell kit had so many things wrong with it. Makes me feel like all of my efforts were worthless now since I didn't correct anything. BUT, I put mine together without the use of the internet (I didn't have a home PC back then) for reference and I went strictly by the instructions provided in the kit.
Kearsarge kit from revell 1980. Other kits are cheaper for a wooden model build, these older kits are becoming hard to find original.
But your is all original as the build; so it's a antique as is, plus a family heirloom. Put that rascal under glass. With out all the info I have acquired on the Alabama I wouldn't have known either, plus we have multiple blueprints from the original design. Amazing how many different models there are of the Alabama too.

One side is completed for the 8" CI cannon, this side took about three hours to complete and was slow in progress as not to break the main body or eyes of the cannon. I also have included the block and tackle which is scratch built from the two parts shown. One tackle completed and one of just parts next to it. These are gently bent into place then glued, one long piece of rigging rope (7") is used for completion to look natural.

20181216_201852.jpg

So do the CI guns match up with the Revell tracks on the deck? The guns shown look great, very painstakingly put together. I wonder if the naval gun know-it-all's here on CWT can comment on how the rigging shown was used, and how it kept both guns in action. Same with the 32 pounders. It must have been quite a heated ordeal when the Alabama faced off with the Kearsarge. Perhaps very different from when the Alabama fired shots over the bows of whalers and cargo vessels.

Back