CSS Alabama plastic model build 2018-2019 (Revell 1/96)

I promise the Arkansas is completed. Been fighting them dust bunnies though...rascals they are!!
I understand.
Dust bunnies will cause havoc.

:bounce:

Regarding the CSS Arkansas, I've only seen one completed model. ( Cottage Industry perhaps ?)
It's very well detailed with scratch built extras.This model is on display at the Camp Moore Museum outside of Kentwood, Louisiana.

Tut11

Sergeant
@7th Mississippi Infantry , thought you had seen mine here. If you haven't here's the link:

Did you get any image of her at the Camp Moore Museum ??

@7th Mississippi Infantry , thought you had seen mine here. If you haven't here's the link:

Did you get any image of her at the Camp Moore Museum ??
Yeah I do remember your build of the CSS Arkansas. I guess I should have said "seen in person".
And while that model is fantastic, actually your model is superior.

But to answer your question, no . . . I didn't take any photos.

Tut11

Sergeant
Thanks, always after model images of historical ship builds. With Rebels book of civil wars ships being used as a main reference, it's interesting to see others interpretations of builds with little to actual historical ships plans.

Tut11

Sergeant
@rebelatsea I look forward to the new data my friend!! That's a bunch of work for the first volume, wow impressive volume two is coming out!!

I'll have more images soon for the Alabama as my final parts and pieces are coming in to finish her off. Slow mail these days......

rebelatsea

1st Lieutenant
@rebelatsea I look forward to the new data my friend!! That's a bunch of work for the first volume, wow impressive volume two is coming out!!

I'll have more images soon for the Alabama as my final parts and pieces are coming in to finish her off. Slow mail these days......
The second edition won't be soon I think ! There are some changes to plans and factual errors corrected in light of new research, but nothing earth shattering. Look forward to more of the Alabama.

Tut11

Sergeant
I fully understand Rebel, this Alabama was suppose to be finished last year but circumstances had slowed it down. Now she's in the home stretch with slow precise rigging going on. To much in my way for a fast rig job as it has been so highly modified from the original kit.

@JPChurch here's the updates my friend:

2.png

3.png

4.png

5.png

The work table is cleared of all but just the basic materials and tools so I can rotate her without damage. I have one mm pins to attach the lines to and have to be precise and careful as to not break the fragile model. Also once all the interior rigging is done I'll then do the boom sails and their rigging. I figure probably two more months and should have her completed barring unforeseen problems popping up.

For instance as I was doing some rigging a boom broke off the main mast and have had to repair and re-drill the support. These are the small problems that have plagued me during the whole build. With all the work done on this model she barley weighs two pounds!

I'll have more images soon. Thanks for all the interest and likes!

JPChurch

First Sergeant
A couple months ago, I took mine off the chest it sits on to dust it off like I've done dozens of times over the years. Dam**t if I didn't snap off one of the masts. I've got this exact-o tool on a base that has two roach clips on each end and can be used for such instances of mishap. A little bit of the glue with the insta set kicker fixed it. Be careful with the rest of the rigging!!! Best of luck with the flags.

Tut11

Sergeant
A couple months ago, I took mine off the chest it sits on to dust it off like I've done dozens of times over the years. Dam**t if I didn't snap off one of the masts. I've got this exact-o tool on a base that has two roach clips on each end and can be used for such instances of mishap. A little bit of the glue with the insta set kicker fixed it. Be careful with the rest of the rigging!!! Best of luck with the flags.

Yep, it does seem the plastic is getting more fragile as the years go by on these kits. I'll be glad when mine is under glass and displayed.

Here's a few images of the rigging work for the mizzen and main masts, this is at ten hours and still not done for a example of the slowness going on with the rigging. Tedious and careful with steady hands is what it takes.

The hemostat trick to keep the rigging tight:

6.png

7.png

Close up of the blocks, looks better than imaged:

9.png

Then a couple more further out images to show detailing on rigging install:

8.png

10.png

Tools at the bottom along with the missing boom on the fore mast which broke. It has dried but will be doing touch up paint on it then re-install after that is dried. These still have to be tied off on the deck along with the pins. I'll try to get images of that closeup in a couple days. Hopeful I can get these tied down by tonight. :rolleyes: