CSS Alabama plastic model build 2018-2019 (Revell 1/96)

Tut11

Sergeant
Well, the 1/96 crew members are more dinky than the 1/72nd stuff (like the vintage CW soldiers and HO railroads). I would think Semmes and the rest of the Confederate officers wore some type of naval uniform when taking prizes/demanding surrender/boarding ships and finally when facing off with the Kearsarge. Certainly they were polished and dressed to the nines when photographed in Cape Town. How the entire ship's company appeared/dressed during long time periods apart from action is anyone's supposition.
Thank you @7th Mississippi Infantry , @Rusk County Avengers. @JPChurch I do have some images of the confederate navy personnel dress codes, and will use them for painting accordingly. I'll dig them out and post the best ones soon. @rebelatsea if you have some good color images of the uniforms, please post them also and goes for anyone else. Always looking for more data.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

rebelatsea

1st Lieutenant
I would think that since the majority of the Alabama's crew were volunteers (and they certainly didn't come from the Confederate states) that signed on for promised payments in gold, they weren't in any type of issued Confederate naval uniform. Viewing Semmes and the other officers in their fancy garb, the color seems to be of a dark blue/ grey. Maybe some of the uniform experts might have an idea as to which mill(s) created the officers' uniforms. Or they may have been custom made and tailored. I'm sure Semmes was able to afford such a luxury.

Tut11

Sergeant
I have had some dental work go wrong and been under the weather for a couple of weeks, just now starting to get back my sea legs. Bad infection had cropped up and decided to kick my butt, e-gads what a painful rascal.
I'll be back at building in a day or two and has been driving me nuts not to work on my projects, i have decided to make all the masts as I've said before in wood from the BL plans I have. This will insure the longevity of model for many year to come so as not to have any brittle plastic masts which have a tendentious habit of braking after a few years.
I have had time though to read up on a few more ships and rigging plans for the Alabama and look forward to dropping some rope on her. Post some image soon.

rebelatsea

1st Lieutenant
I would think that since the majority of the Alabama's crew were volunteers (and they certainly didn't come from the Confederate states) that signed on for promised payments in gold, they weren't in any type of issued Confederate naval uniform. Viewing Semmes and the other officers in their fancy garb, the color seems to be of a dark blue/ grey. Maybe some of the uniform experts might have an idea as to which mill(s) created the officers' uniforms. Or they may have been custom made and tailored. I'm sure Semmes was able to afford such a luxury.
Semmes was a bit of a "stuffed shirt" so I reckon his crews would have been properly uniformed. that was certainly the impression given by visitors who went aboard her.

Tut11

Sergeant
Here's the update images on the dead-eye's. These are very fragile and time consuming to install and build from scratch. Even break when installing them and have to bond then tightly to the plastic and wood before final drilling can commence. The detailing along with angle placement is exact per three sets of historical prints, rigging will be multiple colors along with historical accuracy. But will be awhile as the hammocks and davits are next along with the extension spars. All will be scratch built for proper sizes and accuracy. These are work in progress.
20190320_012427.jpg

20190320_012442.jpg

20190320_012449.jpg

Tut11

Sergeant
As usual, very very impressive !
Many thanks!! Here's them completed and mounted, waiting on the bond to dry and working on the hammocks which will be scratch ,and from cloth and hand sewn. Looked over the davits and are very fragile so I will wait till I mount them after she is rigged. Then rig the boats ans added detail on them. A sequence of installation is going to have to happen as this is the first time a combination of wood parts and plastic ones are incorporated in the kit and is coming along nicely. Once I'm satisfied with the bonding I will drill and add the nails, which will be a couple of days, the hammocks will have to take time and placement will be per historical drawings and pictures.

Zoom in for details:

20190321_125704.jpg

20190321_125719.jpg

Very nice!!!!! You've got more patience than what I've ever had when it comes to model building......and I honestly think shipbuilding requires the most if you want it to come out right to your own liking.

That's coming along real nice. definitely not a weekend project. I have an unbuilt Revell Cutty Sark kit that is sitting around, probably won't go anywhere soon.

Last edited:

Tut11

Sergeant
Very nice!!!!! You've got more patience than what I've ever had when it comes to model building......and I honestly think shipbuilding requires the most if you want it to come out right to your own liking.
Thanks JP, when I started this one i knew it was going to be delicate and time consuming to get her the way I wanted. You know I was fighting hard not to build the kit considering how old it is and just break the bank and buy the Bluejacket kit. But then I went naw... this one needs a good build and hopefully will turn out well and not overpower the model. The Hammocks will take 149 drilled holes for the tie downs and will have some images soon. I am working out material and design for the scratch building of them now.

Tut11

Sergeant
That's coming along real nice. definitely not a weekend project. I have an unbuilt Revell Cutty Sark kit that is sitting around, probably won't go anywhere soon.
Thank you Kevin! Nope this ones about 6 months worth of work, if I add sails will be longer but undecided at this time. "LOL" I could never work on a bench so cluttered, me like organization and neatness so all is at my finger tips along with keeping the model clean as I go. Which as modelers know is sometimes the most difficult thing to do as you build them. What is the ship in the middle there?? Got some images of your work on CW ships??

Thank you Kevin! Nope this ones about 6 months worth of work, if I add sails will be longer but undecided at this time. "LOL" I could never work on a bench so cluttered, me like organization and neatness so all is at my finger tips along with keeping the model clean as I go. Which as modelers know is sometimes the most difficult thing to do as you build them. What is the ship in the middle there?? Got some images of your work on CW ships??
I try to keep my work area as clear as possible but it always ends up the same in short order. The model is a made up design of an ironclad, one of two I have in mind. There are only two existing models, Monitor and Virginia, others have been "retired" throughout the years. As for your model, I would leave the sails off so as to see all the rigging detail. Looking good so far.

Here's a couple more of that era. The steamer has a boiler and engine. the side wheels rotate when it goes through the water, a servo controls the rudder.

DSCN0541.JPG

DSCN0543.JPG

DSCN0531 - Edited.jpg

Last edited: