CSN Attempt to cut Grant off from City Point

Borderruffian

1st Lieutenant
During the Petersburg campaign a detachment of CSN Sailors and Marines attempted to take small boats and torpedos across country to the James River. They were to capture Union Tug Boats outfit them with the torpedos and attack the Union gunboats keeping Grants supply route to City Point open.

The mission failed, it is however an interesting little read.

http://www.navyandmarine.org/ondeck/1862leaf_from_logbook.htm

Anyone know the exact dates this happened? One of the side projects I've got going on my Siege of Petersburg site is to document all of the incidents of the campaign, including things like this attempted raid. I'm guessing very early February, given this parting comment by the author "Our flag waved in the James river two months after the events I have endeavored to describe..." Richmond and PEtersburg were taken April 3, so if we go back in time two months, that puts us at early February 1865. The Confederate accounts in the Southern Historical Society Papers and Confederate Veteran are frustrating for two main reasons: 1) they are TERRIBLE with giving dates and 2) they often get things wrong due to the time which had passed since the war.

Anyone know the exact dates this happened? One of the side projects I've got going on my Siege of Petersburg site is to document all of the incidents of the campaign, including things like this attempted raid. I'm guessing very early February, given this parting comment by the author "Our flag waved in the James river two months after the events I have endeavored to describe..." Richmond and PEtersburg were taken April 3, so if we go back in time two months, that puts us at early February 1865. The Confederate accounts in the Southern Historical Society Papers and Confederate Veteran are frustrating for two main reasons: 1) they are TERRIBLE with giving dates and 2) they often get things wrong due to the time which had passed since the war.
Off hand it was February as " our flags still flew in the James River two months latter".
Leftyhunter

Wasn't there another thread on this just recently?

Wasn't there another thread on this just recently?

I believe it was this one. I spent the last three nights going through every post in the naval section looking for James river related stuff, so some of my replies are on older topics.

Interesting story if verified. If such an expedition did occur, it was obviously too little, too late by that time.

Back