CSA Major Generals Seniority

CSA Major Generals Seniority 2.0

Hey Folks,

just found a great way to celebrate a birthday with only oneself: research!

I´s searching for a long long time for a list of the confederate Major Generals according to their seniority. Partly inspired by wikipedia with their list of the 20 most seniors who stayed in grade. Now yesterday I decided to just make one myself. Having about 75% of it I by sheer luck found "A Roster of General Officers, Heads of Departments, Senators, Representative, Military Organizations &c., &c., in Confederate Service during the War between the States" by Charles C. Jones, Jr. on the internet and used it to complete mine. Having problems with the format display on the board (originally made with excel) and having issues with the attachments I just use a graphic, hope you have no problem with it.

Here all Major Generals of the PACS are included, including some temporary and unconfirmed ones (mainly in late war) while neither Militia nor State Troops are counted. Promotions on same day are arranged according to JONES.

If you have any information I could use for those listed; found someone I´ve forgotten or made any grave errors please contact me.Maybe some of you like the thing - I certainly enjoyed doing it.
I´ll try to make a seniority list for the Brigadiers, too; but it´ll take some time.

Version 2.0: corrected some data - thanks to prroh
added and updated some data
added color and command key
added service branch colors
added and updated footnotes

NOTE: There´s a black/white edition without colors and service branches available, just click the link after the list.

lgb9soo2.jpg

http://s1.directupload.net/file/d/2610/4n9cpe2a_jpg.htm

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

ole

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Retired Moderator
Wow! Very impressive. Tipping one or several in honor of your birthday. Hope you're doing the same.

Glorybound

Major
Retired Moderator
Honored Fallen Comrade
Thanks Longstreet, great effort, with a lot of good info. I saved it to my docs.

Lee

prroh

Captain
Honored Fallen Comrade
Might want to check Pegram. Five Forks was April 1st not Feb 6th.

What does NCD mean as a reason?

I see that the date for Edward, "Alleghany", Johnson is listed as the date of his release from Fort Delaware where he had been held since his capture the year before. Wouldn't his commission have expired before July 1865?

Lafayette Mclaws surrendered with Johnston on April 26th 1865 although no record of his parole exists. he signed an oath of allegiance very quickly as he was pardoned in OCT 1865

@prroh: Thanks for the quick input. That´s the spirit I need to improve my works.

You´re right about the date of Five Forks. Misstook some lines. John Pegram was killed at Hatcher´s Run on Feb 6th. At Five Forks his brother William was killed.

NCD means Non-Combat Death. All of those normal or non-normal ways to die outside of a battle and without wounds recieved in those.

Am not sure about Johnson. It says he was paroled on July 22nd, no just released. If I have a date of parole at or after war´s end I tend to use those.

Version 2.0 released.
corrected some data - thanks to prroh
added and updated some data
added color and command key
added service branch colors
added and updated footnotes

NOTE: There´s a black/white edition without colors and service branches available, just click the link after the list.

The Brigadier´s Seniority list is in work. As all lists I know are alphabetically there´s a lot of sorting to do. For now I reached the letter F - just 20 more letter to go.

@TerryB: Thanks for the info on Polk; however termination of rank here just means when the rank of Major General was no longer held, which on Polk means it was when he was promoted to Lieutenant General in 62.

Should I ever make a list of the Lieutenant Generals (which I will most likely not as it´s already there on wikipedia, including Polk) the date of his death would be the one I´d put in.

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!