CSA envelope & letter "Streight's Raid"

Boomer12

Cadet
Original envelope and letter posted from Rome GA May 5th 1863. Adversity envelope and writing paper from "Observations on a Zodiac Light" vol III. The letter is a little hard to read, bottom of first page "...I suppose you have heard of the Yankees and General Forrest engagement here in four mile of this place. When we came to Kingston we came in contact with 3 regiments of soldiers, the 5(th) GA came here to take charge of the Yankees. When we came to the Depot, there was 22 hundred cavalry men and horses in Broad street and 2 regiments of infantry, it was a show for us mountain people."
Thought y'all might like to see an original piece of history referencing General Forrest. The envelope itself is another page from the same book.

2 Rome Ga.jpg

2b Rome Ga3.jpg

2c Rome Ga4.jpg

The letter is a little hard to read,
Hello @Boomer12 and welcome to CivilWarTalk.

I believe this might be the writer of your letter - Sarah Caroline Lindsey.

The letter is signed "S C Lindsey to __ M Camp." And addressed "Dear brother and sister." Sarah Caroline Lindsey's maiden name is Camp - so her brother would likely have the surname Camp as well. There is also a reference in the letter to "Nancy" and Sarah Caroline Camp Lindsey has a sister named Nancy. Maybe just a coincidence, or with more research, perhaps you could verify?https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/70649956/sarah-caroline-lindsey

Hello @Boomer12 and welcome to CivilWarTalk.

I believe this might be the writer of your letter - Sarah Caroline Lindsey.

The letter is signed "S C Lindsey to __ M Camp." And addressed "Dear brother and sister." Sarah Caroline Lindsey's maiden name is Camp - so her brother would likely have the surname Camp as well. There is also a reference in the letter to "Nancy" and Sarah Caroline Camp Lindsey has a sister named Nancy. Maybe just a coincidence, or with more research, perhaps you could verify?https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/70649956/sarah-caroline-lindsey

Thanks for the information I believe that you are spot on to the writer of the letter. And thanks for your warm welcome!

Original envelope and letter posted from Rome GA May 5th 1863. Adversity envelope and writing paper from "Observations on a Zodiac Light" vol III. The letter is a little hard to read, bottom of first page "...I suppose you have heard of the Yankees and General Forrest engagement here in four mile of this place. When we came to Kingston we came in contact with 3 regiments of soldiers, the 5(th) GA came here to take charge of the Yankees. When we came to the Depot, there was 22 hundred cavalry men and horses in Broad street and 2 regiments of infantry, it was a show for us mountain people."
Thought y'all might like to see an original piece of history referencing General Forrest. The envelope itself is another page from the same book.

View attachment 318032

View attachment 318033

View attachment 318034
Very nice adversity cover and letter. Stamps are a pair of Confederate States #7 paying the proper 10 cents postage. Love these covers since they show how people made do once paper became scarce due to the blockade.

Back