CSA Conscription

johan_steele

Regimental Armorer
Retired Moderator
I'm curious about something... the New York Draft Riots and Illinois, in general violent, protests against conscription are quite well known. Why is there no popular mention of Southern Resistance to the CSA conscription? Is this because of the Lost Cause sentiment, poor research or just plain cussedness on the part of Southern Researchers?

I really would like to know, there appear to have been some pretty dramatic anti-conscription movements... particularly in Arkansas,Alabama and Texas. Something I was unaware of was the fact that the Texas Rangers were split about 60/40 in their loyalty to the CSA. Those that favored the Union were sent to the frontier as part of the Frontier Companies that did such an excellent job of dealing w/ the Commanches and Kiowa. In late '64 & '65 when Conscription Officers went out frontier Texas way to garner loyal men and forcibly conscript others they found the Rangers all on patrol and when they returned several months later the Rangers heard of the imminent arrival and deserted en masse.

I guess not everyone South of the Mason Dixon was as enthusiastic about the CSA as the Lost Causers would have us Northerners believe.

Try Daniel Sutherland's Guerillas, Unionists, and Violence on the Confederate Home Front. Talks about those Southerners who weren't so content to be apart from the Union.

Shane,

You could also read the book The South vs The South, by William H. Freeling. It's a pretty good read on the subject you mention. Plus try Reluctant Confederates, by Daniel W. Crofts for information on upper South Unionists in the Secession crisis before the firing on Ft. Sumter.

Unionblue

Haven't read Reluctant Confederates but I've read Reluctant Rebel. The author always managed to stay in the rear in some administrative capacity. Not good reading if you want blood, guts or gore, but I would have done the same.

Back