CSA Belt buckle Questions

Curiouskat

Cadet
We found this in one of our old boxes of family memorabilia & after doing some research, we think we got the real thing & are wanting to see if it is a possibility & get some direction on possible buyers!
Thanks!
20190226_040820.jpg
20190226_040723.jpg

Welcome From THE Heart Of Dixie. I will need a lot more that 2 photos before I can say it an "authentic" CS rectangle. This is one of the most "faked or repop" plates their is. It's an Atlanta style plate but there are a few things I don't see. When these were cast the hooks were stright up and when pulled down they made stress marks on the front of the plate. I don't see them on this one and the stipple pattern is suspect. The one below was dug by me so I know its authentic.
csarectangle-1ucvrelics.com.jpg
csarectangle-2ucvrelics.com.jpg
cwt.jpg

Here is another tell its a copy. The flare on the C ain't CW. Below that are both pattern CSA plates no flare.
repop csa.jpg

Atlanta Style. No Flare.
1551665627009.png

Virginia Style. No Flare
1551665701108.png

My brother found one similar to that with his metal detector - on a Civil War battlefield no less. Unfortunately, someone who was reported to be knowledgeable about buckles told him it was a reproduction from around the turn of the 20th Century. It was hard to take, that’s for sure. We still think it weird since it was found on a battlefield . . . But so goes the world, I guess. Hope yours is real though!

Welcome from Central Ohio. I love this forum. When somebody tells you something is not what you think/hope it is they elaborate and tell you why it isn't instead of just telling you "nope, sorry that's fake". I learn so much here on a daily basis.

Unfortunately I do not think that this could be proven to be of the period for the following reasons:
  • The buckle has too much of a bend
  • The corners are too soft
  • The hooks are not as seen on most of these "Atlanta Arsenal" plates
  • Appears to be a centennial piece circa 1961
Concur, and it resembles one I had as a kid at the time, although the "prongs" on mine were more like bent-over studs. Welcome to the forums!

Unfortunately I do not think that this could be proven to be of the period for the following reasons:
  • The buckle has too much of a bend
  • The corners are too soft
  • The hooks are not as seen on most of these "Atlanta Arsenal" plates
  • Appears to be a centennial piece circa 1961
If you happen to come across any photos of a replica like this one would you mind sharing it to me plz? If you ever find the extra time that is lol if not that's ok too I was just having a hard time finding one that looked just like this one so it's thrown me for a loop for sure!
About the marks from the hooks being put on I'm guessing? Are you saying an authentic one should or should not show any Marks/indentions on the front side of the plate ( saying C.S.A. ) from when the hooks were put on? I'm going to add a couple of better pictures soon if my boyfriend thinks it's worth the time or at least doing just for the sake of curiosity .
Thanks again!

If you happen to come across any photos of a replica like this one would you mind sharing it to me plz? If you ever find the extra time that is lol if not that's ok too I was just having a hard time finding one that looked just like this one so it's thrown me for a loop for sure!
About the marks from the hooks being put on I'm guessing? Are you saying an authentic one should or should not show any Marks/indentions on the front side of the plate ( saying C.S.A. ) from when the hooks were put on? I'm going to add a couple of better pictures soon if my boyfriend thinks it's worth the time or at least doing just for the sake of curiosity .
Thanks again!
http://www.relicman.com/fakes/zfakeCon084to101CSAAtlanta.htm

Curiouskat, I got out my copy of "Repro Buckles of the Civil War" and the only CSA buckles with that little horn on the C was a Bannerman. Bannerman bought a lot of Civil War surplus which they sold to veterans. Remember a lot of Confederates got home in rags so they bought new uniforms for reunions. After the surplus ran out they cast new buckles and continued selling into the 1950s. It can be very hard to tell a fifty year old buckle from a one hundred and fifty year old buckle, but I suspect uvcrelics is right. He tends to be right all the time.

Back