CS Reed or US Parrot

UCVRelics

Brevet Brigadier General
Forum Host
Gold Patron
Regtl. Quartermaster Shiloh 2020
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
Regtl. Quartermaster Stones River / Franklin 2022
This 10ld parrot shell was missing the base when I found it so that makes it hard to Id as CS or US as both had Boreman type fuses. With the shipping plug I'm leaning US. Any Ideas?
DSCN9171.JPG
DSCN9173.JPG
DSCN9174.JPG
DSCN9175.JPG

Nice artifact. I would also lean toward this likely being a US shell. While both sides made use of Bormann Fuses, I don't recall seeing many, if any CS rifled shells using them, but do see US shells. The still existing Bormann underplug on this one appears to be made of Iron... common with many US shells... CS Bormann fuses more frequently used a copper underplug.. Just an observation.

Thanks, That's what had me leaning US. If it had its base it would be easy peezy

In finding something like this Do you have to be afraid it could explode?

In finding something like this Do you have to be afraid it could explode?

No this one would not. Over the last 45 years Ive dug many CW shells and the ones I can't disarm from the fuse end I have to drill a hole in the side to get the powder out. Ive dne over a 100 and still have all my fingers. I drill them out underwater.:cold:
DSCN8581.JPG

This 10ld parrot shell was missing the base when I found it so that makes it hard to Id as CS or US as both had Boreman type fuses. With the shipping plug I'm leaning US. Any Ideas?

While both sides had borman fuses, as a rule they were not used for rifled guns. The original borman fuse only had a maximum time of 5 to 5 1/2 seconds, which was too short for the longer range of the rifled guns. They still used the paper fuses for case shot ( which is what you have since there are balls inside) as they were manufactured for longer burn times. The U.S. field artillery manual (dated 1864) has the following notation:

fuse.gif

Due to this, I would suspect that it is a U.S. round with one of the new designed borman fuses

Last edited:
After a little quick searching, the longer burning version of the Borman fuse was the Wright fuse, Introduced in late 1864

Back