CS officer or steamboat captain-your thoughts?

Bamascvreb

Cadet
My share of the day—
135C3CBC-75A2-4ABE-8602-8A840D497970.jpeg

135C3CBC-75A2-4ABE-8602-8A840D497970.jpeg

Here is 1/2 plate ambrotype i’ve had for years-came out of a Georgia estate years ago but may have south alabama ties. I’ve had numerous conversations over the years about if cs or steamboat captain. There is some quatrefoil on his hat but cant be definitive what it is. Anyhow, just opening up for some conversation and thoughts you may have on it.

AB8C5415-3592-4A6A-9EC4-86727B88E3B9.jpeg

2CC53ED5-CD1A-4D1D-9188-C424B0D53E8A.jpeg

Interesting. You can see he has his arm almost around one of the women..but what relation is the other, as both the ladies seem to be of similar age? Frock, vest, watch and chain..he was a man of some means..and proud.

Interesting. You can see he has his arm almost around one of the women..but what relation is the other, as both the ladies seem to be of similar age? Frock, vest, watch and chain..he was a man of some means..and proud.
i had never really noticed him having one arm extended around one of the ladies...who both look like sisters to me.

i had never really noticed him having one arm extended around one of the ladies...who both look like sisters to me.
May be nothing to it but the ladies seem to be dressed in almost black with black afornment on their heads. Could be just lack of color on the image or common dress of the period....but they sure are smiling big in the oic—seem sombre

May be nothing to it but the ladies seem to be dressed in almost black with black afornment on their heads. Could be just lack of color on the image or common dress of the period....but they sure are smiling big in the oic—seem sombre
They are not in mourning...those are simply mantles..could be any color! And the lady on the right has a dotted skirt..some dark color to be sure. The sheen makes me think silk..I could be wrong, but cotton doesn’t drape like that. I sew. And I wish I could afford those fabrics!

I don't know. As beautifully dressed as he is, you'd have thought he'd be wearing a more formal hat. That he's wearing this one makes me think ship's captain or is indicating something, you know?

I understand there's no way to tell for sure but this image has a ' Southern ' feel- the ladies attire, especially the woman's hat, on the right- it's very ' south ' by way of decorative fashion. Only an opinion. It's ' era ' though. These uber fashionable women are still wearing hoops- they went out of fashion just post war, maybe earlier in the South.

I don't know. As beautifully dressed as he is, you'd have thought he'd be wearing a more formal hat. That he's wearing this one makes me think ship's captain or is indicating something, you know?

I understand there's no way to tell for sure but this image has a ' Southern ' feel- the ladies attire, especially the woman's hat, on the right- it's very ' south ' by way of decorative fashion. Only an opinion. It's ' era ' though. These uber fashionable women are still wearing hoops- they went out of fashion just post war, maybe earlier in the South.
Definitely agree....obviously of some means back in the day and the hat has some importance to him. Just being a half plate ambrotype in gutta frame would have been some cost back then. I got this image along with two cased tins of young confederate soldiers, a marked dag by chauncey barnes and then an unidentified dag. So the five of them were found in attic of house together. So i agree dead on southern associated.

Back