Currency CS $50.00 verify

RSMorris

First Sergeant
Just starting out in collecting Confederate currency. Was curious about this one with the serial number. Or if there is anything else I should be looking for with this particular one. Also, can anyone tell me what the "A W" stands for in the lower left and right corners?

Thanks

RSM
6789.jpg

I'm sorrt of new at this myself, but I really don't think the "A W" means all that much. I think its a plate number. There were 36 differant plates from WA to ZA. According to a book that I've read there is also a differance in the way the word Confederate is spelled out. It comes with or without a flourish above the "Con" in Confecerate. Whatever a flourish is? I'll also be waiting for an answer from someone who knows, I'm just guessing.

Sorry out of my wheel house as there are to many to keep up with and the yankees flooded the South with bogus CS money.

I need to do some more looking , or closer looking maybe, I can't find that signature "S.Scot" like the one on your $50.00. Type in Treasury Girls under search and there is a forum we had on the subject last year. It lists the people who signed these bills. It's that list that I can't find or overlooked the name "Scot" on.

Thanks everyone. So I understand the lower letters are just plate numbers. So there is nothing suspicious about the serial numbers? I haven't purchased this one yet, just wanted to get some thoughts before I did.

RSM

Hi. This website
is useful to check against the known list of fake serial #s. I had another website that provided advice on how to judge but I can't seem to find it.
Hard to judge based on the single picture you provided. Need close-ups (please post). A key indicator is whether you have rusty ink bleedthroughs….if yes, it is likely real, since the notes were all hand-signed, including the serial numbers. Also, each note was handcut with scissors, so the edges should not be straight...if it looks like your 7 year old kid cut the note out of a sheet of paper, then that's what you want to see. Sorry, I am no expert, but those were a few of the tips I learned.

In my non-expert opinioin, the printed serial # looks suspicious, the edges of the note are very straight, and I see no rusty blisters of ink in the signature (the blisters/bleedthroughs occur as a result of the ink ageing)

The above website also lists examples to compare with. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Edit: Description:

This $50 Confederate note has a picture of Jefferson Davis in the center. This note was printed with black ink and a pick overprint on the front and with blue ink on the back.

This one is real supposedly and it has machine printed serial #s, so perhaps only some series had hand-printed serial numbers (like I said, I am no expert):

There are lots of examples on the Internet to compare to.

The crazy thing is is that if you have a counterfeit that was made during the Civil War era, it's worth more to a collector today than the original government issued note....go figure!!!

Last edited:
I'm sorrt of new at this myself, but I really don't think the "A W" means all that much. I think its a plate number. There were 36 differant plates from WA to ZA. According to a book that I've read there is also a differance in the way the word Confederate is spelled out. It comes with or without a flourish above the "Con" in Confecerate. Whatever a flourish is? I'll also be waiting for an answer from someone who knows, I'm just guessing.
Haha flourishes are the little squiggly lines over and around the words.

Hi. This website
is useful to check against the known list of fake serial #s. I had another website that provided advice on how to judge but I can't seem to find it.
Hard to judge based on the single picture you provided. Need close-ups (please post). A key indicator is whether you have rusty ink bleedthroughs….if yes, it is likely real, since the notes were all hand-signed, including the serial numbers. Also, each note was handcut with scissors, so the edges should not be straight...if it looks like your 7 year old kid cut the note out of a sheet of paper, then that's what you want to see. Sorry, I am no expert, but those were a few of the tips I learned.

In my non-expert opinioin, the printed serial # looks suspicious, the edges of the note are very straight, and I see no rusty blisters of ink in the signature (the blisters/bleedthroughs occur as a result of the ink ageing)

The above website also lists examples to compare with. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Edit: Description:

This $50 Confederate note has a picture of Jefferson Davis in the center. This note was printed with black ink and a pick overprint on the front and with blue ink on the back.

This one is real supposedly and it has machine printed serial #s, so perhaps only some series had hand-printed serial numbers (like I said, I am no expert):

There are lots of examples on the Internet to compare to.

The crazy thing is is that if you have a counterfeit that was made during the Civil War era, it's worth more to a collector today than the original government issued note....go figure!!!
The T-66, 57, 56, and 49 all had printed serial numbers

Back