Crittenden, John letters (1862-1865) Gordon Mills

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

Barrycdog

Major
http://content.lib.auburn.edu/cdm/ref/collection/civil2/id/17794
http://content.lib.auburn.edu/cdm/ref/collection/civil2/id/17794
Crittenden, John letters (1862-1865)
1863, Sept. 27, From JC to BBC,...
HeadingsCrittenden, John, 1834-1864
Crittenden, William D., 1836-1891
Crittenden, Bettie Browning, 1839-1915

Letters from John Crittenden, a school teacher from Notasulga, Ala., to his family, including his parents, his brother, William D. Crittenden, and his wife, Bettie Browning Crittenden; letters (1862-68) of William D. Crittenden, William H. Browning and John K. Browning to family; letters (1862-1909) to Bettie Browning Crittenden from friends and family; and miscellaneous family papers (1847-1871). Bulk of correspondence (1862-64) describes Crittenden's military service. Crittenden enlisted in Company E, 34th Alabama Infantry, when the regiment was formed in March, 1862. He was missing in action and presumed killed in the Battle of Nashville, December 15-16, 1864. His brother, William D. Crittenden, enlisted in the 1st Alabama Cavalry but received a medical discharge in 1863. His wife's brother, John K. Browning, enlisted in Company D, 34th Alabama Infantry.
1863, Sept. 27, From JC to BBC, [Page 1]
Transcript camp near chattanooga Sept 27th 1863 Dear Bettie No doubt but you are getting anxious to hear from me since we have had such a battle as we have had lately.____ sooner are that I have had no time and if I had I have had no means of mailing a letter. WE have been on the march for the last month and have hardly been twenty miles from the place. Expecting every day to encounter the enemy. Which, however did not take place until last ____ week. We encountered them near a place called Gordons Mills, about 12 oclock in the day. Our company was immediately thrown forward as skirmishers. which position we held until Saturday evening. Our Brigade had already gone below to take part in the fight which had been raging furiously all day long. We did not get to the Brigade until Sunday Morning just in time to take our place in line of battle. About 9 o clock we we were ordered to make a charge which we did driving the enemy before us about two miles. We were then ordered to fall back In the charge James L Metton was killed Beaver, Thompson & Chester were wounded. We were then ordered to advance again. This time we encountered the enemy among the hills in a formidable position. The contest was long and bloody but our boys drove them from their position and captured three Regiments. Burks & Guillahorne were wounded in that part of the fight. Night ended the fight which has not been resumed since. Our Division acted a conspicuous part in the fight. They captured sixteen guns. Gen Hoods Division from Virginia was there and fought with their accustomed bravery. Gen hood had his leg shot off and has since died. The enemy are still in possession of Chattanooga. We have them cut off from their supplies except one rout which is very difficult to travel. They have completed our old works which will enable then I expect to hold the place for some time unless some means is adopted to drive them out. Which no doubt will be done. Our loss in the fight was heavy but that of the enemy was still heavier. Bettie you have no idea how bad I want to see you all sometimes I believe that the war will never end. If I live I will see you by Christmas It is no use to talk about it I will have a furlough We are encamped on the side of a steep mountain overlooking Chattanooga. It is one of the most disagreeable places you ever saw. In the fight I secured a splendid India Rubber wrapper and a good blanket Give my love to all Kiss Ma & both of the babies for me. Tell all of the Negroes howdy. As ever your husband J. Crittenden [side] My health is good

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!