Creases

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Creases is another salad-like green that grows mostly in cornfields. You cook them like turnip greens. The leaves of creases are sharp-tasting, like watercress and can be cooked or used raw in salads. It is gathered young, within days of its appearance.

Boiled Creases

"Put in a piece of middling meat in the morning to boil. Boil for at least two hours or as long as it takes to get it tender. Take the grease off the meat, add it to the pot of water, and bring to a boil. Add cleaned creases and boil for thirty minutes."
Arie Carpenter, "The Foxfire Book of Appalachian Cookery". page 176.

Fried Creases

"Fry fatback meat in a heavy pot, preferably an old black dinner pot. Have creases clean and washed. Take meat out, leaving grease in pot. Shake out creases and drop in hot grease, stirring and mixing thoroughly with grease. Add just enough water to keep from burning or sticking to pot. Add salt as desired, and cook about twenty minutes, or until tender. Stir often."

Nearola Taylor, "The Foxfire Book of Appalachian Cookery". page 176.

I had never heard of this, so I had to go look for it. Here's a picture:

This looks remarkably like our miners lettuce or pepper plant! Does it have that sweet but pungent taste, not quite bitter but a little hot? If it's similar, I'll bet it's great eating with bacon or pork chops!

p s
The lettuce and pepper plant is good on tacos, too, and in salads! Not bad in salsa, either.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back