Crazy Horse and Custer: The Parallel Lives of Two American Warriors, $1.99 on Kindle

chellers

Lt. Colonel
Retired Moderator
Honored Fallen Comrade
custer cwt.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KQZY19A/?tag=civilwartalkc-20

I remember enjoying this book when I read it (a long time ago). I also remember being taken aback by the author's assertion that W.T. Sherman converted to Catholicism on his deathbed.

Dad had this, began it a long time ago- am a lot more likely to finish it now on my Kindle. For 1.99, it's really lazy, but you can carry it around where books, can't so easily. OH, maybe I'll send the hard copy to Custer's Luck! Yes, she's still out there, just un-internetted. It's a word.

Thanks for this Chellers. You must keep an eye on all the Kindle bargains, nice for us!

I remember enjoying this book when I read it (a long time ago). I also remember being taken aback by the author's assertion that W.T. Sherman converted to Catholicism on his deathbed.
Hmmm... According to other sources (such as Robert O'Connell's recent Fierce Patriot), he resisted until the end. Somewhere (maybe O'Connell, but I'm not sure) I read that Sherman was not baptized until he was no longer conscious.

I think it's a great companion to more recent books. He gets a bit mumbo-jumbo at times, but the book is his usual good read, and for that price you can't turn it down--if for nothing else than a good reference.

Rather ironically (and sarcastically), I'm watching They Died with their Boots On right now. Fireworks start in a few moments. :smile:

My favorite part is all the tire tracks across the grass as they make the "charge." :dance:

I forgot to add: The stop by Errol Flynn (or whoever the stuntman was) when he sees the Sioux nation ahead is the most amazing stop EVER by a horse in a movie. That horse should have won an Oscar. Totally sticks that butt in the ground and NAILS it. That's horsemanship, friends. (Let's see Martin Sheen do that!)

Last edited:
Reactions: Lee
Hmmm... According to other sources (such as Robert O'Connell's recent Fierce Patriot), he resisted until the end. Somewhere (maybe O'Connell, but I'm not sure) I read that Sherman was not baptized until he was no longer conscious.

That was my understanding as well. The children had to wait until Sherman was unconscious to bring in the priest, and it was probably a lucky thing for Father Whateverhisnamewas that the General did not surprise everyone by waking up.

I am having a problem with my kindle in that I seem to feed it well. Now I will likely buy another book tomorrow. Even new books come in at something like 53% of the hardcover book price. Like I say the kindle is really easy to dust too. I do love having a book but I have the equivalent of two decent size boxes of books in my kindle and there is plenty of room for more.

I am having a problem with my kindle in that I seem to feed it well. Now I will likely buy another book tomorrow. Even new books come in at something like 53% of the hardcover book price. Like I say the kindle is really easy to dust too. I do love having a book but I have the equivalent of two decent size boxes of books in my kindle and there is plenty of room for more.

Lee, I'm with you. And as I have pretty painful back and neck problems, I appreciate more and more the light weight and the fact that I can prop it up, enlarge the print, and read till I fall asleep...and then it turns itself off. Now if it would just jump onto the night stand! :smile: And as you say.....no dust!

Lee, I'm with you. And as I have pretty painful back and neck problems, I appreciate more and more the light weight and the fact that I can prop it up, enlarge the print, and read till I fall asleep...and then it turns itself off. Now if it would just jump onto the night stand! :smile: And as you say.....no dust!

Very true and it is great to travel with and every time I go to the barber shop and have to wait my kindle makes the time fly. We have an excellent WiFi signal at the office and I a getting very proficient at "buy with one click."<g>

I would have bet an acre of watermelons to a box of raisins that I would have been a traditional hard cover book kind of guy but I am totally loving my kindle. I like reading in bed without any lamps on too.

Very true and it is great to travel with and every time I go to the barber shop and have to wait my kindle makes the time fly. We have an excellent WiFi signal at the office and I a getting very proficient at "buy with one click."<g>

I would have bet an acre of watermelons to a box of raisins that I would have been a traditional hard cover book kind of guy but I am totally loving my kindle. I like reading in bed without any lamps on too.
I'll be traveling with my Kindle soon... to Gettysburg! Appropriately, I've got Searching for George Gordon Meade to keep me company in the airport and on the plane. And since I never seem to be able to read just one thing at a time, I've also been reading Memoirs of Stonewall Jackson by his wife, Anna, and Melville's Moby Dick (written in 1851). My Kindle's also loaded with complete works of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, including his Civil War poems, and a "Dover Thrift Editions" anthology of Civil War poems and short stories by various authors.

Last edited:
I'll be traveling with my Kindle soon... to Gettysburg! Appropriately, I've got Searching for George Gordon Meade to keep me company in the airport and on the plane. And since I never seem to be able to read just one thing at a time, I've also been reading Memoirs of Stonewall Jackson by his wife, Anna, and Melville's Moby Dick (written in 1851). My Kindle's also loaded with complete works of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, including his Civil War poems, and a "Dover Thrift Editions" anthology of Civil War poems and short stories by various authors.

Yeah, just try toting all that stuff with you on a plane. :smile: I have to put in a plug here for National Geographic on Kindle. Not only do the photos come alive--well, they really do. I subscribe and use it in class. Almost every issue has some kind of amazing video, time-lapse photography of nature (the water lily in Africa was AMAAAAAZING!)....something I can share. It's already loaded, so no waiting, no skipping.....and what books have music included? I can play my favorite music while I read, watch videos.....and it fits in my purse, charges in the car.

And the light--at night when we travel to away games, I take mine and read to stay awake and keep Neal awake while he drives :smile: I've also found--depending on how my eyes are at the time, I change the color settings and font, and it helps (getting old is for the birds).

Yeah, just try toting all that stuff with you on a plane. :smile: I have to put in a plug here for National Geographic on Kindle. Not only do the photos come alive--well, they really do. I subscribe and use it in class. Almost every issue has some kind of amazing video, time-lapse photography of nature (the water lily in Africa was AMAAAAAZING!)....something I can share. It's already loaded, so no waiting, no skipping.....and what books have music included? I can play my favorite music while I read, watch videos.....and it fits in my purse, charges in the car.

And the light--at night when we travel to away games, I take mine and read to stay awake and keep Neal awake while he drives :smile: I've also found--depending on how my eyes are at the time, I change the color settings and font, and it helps (getting old is for the birds).
Your students are so lucky to have you!

You must have a Kindle Fire. Mine's the "old-fashioned" Kindle, just black-and-white, with the little keyboard at the bottom that I use for underlining things and making comments. (I mark up my Kindle books almost as much as I do my paper ones!)

Your students are so lucky to have you!

You must have a Kindle Fire. Mine's the "old-fashioned" Kindle, just black-and-white, with the little keyboard at the bottom that I use for underlining things and making comments. (I mark up my Kindle books almost as much as I do my paper ones!)

Yes, I soon realized the Fire was what I needed, and some nice husband gave it to me as a gift. :smile: It's even more amazing--and mine is marked and commented and....well, who needs a pen?

And thank you so much for the nice compliment. Sometimes they do. :smile: I did chase a 6th grader down the hall today....threatening to rip her rolling eyeballs out and stomp on 'em if she didn't get where she was supposed to be.....but she's not actually MY student.

LOL. I've already snatched out their eyeballs. :sluggish:

Last edited:
Back