Cranberries and Thanksgiving

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Another mainstay of the Thanksgiving menu is cranberries. The Cranberry is native to North America. It is stated that the Pilgrims were introduced to the berry by Native Americans. They are grown in Massachusetts, Wisconsin, New Jersey and in parts of Washington and Oregon.

Cranberries are noted in documents as an accompaniment to meat since the early 19th Century. A simple recipe states "take cranberries and stew with sugar".

Cranberries were the first Native American crop to flourish as a commercial crop. Cranberries shifted from a dry harvesting to a wet harvesting. They are grown in bogs. When the bogs are flooded, the cranberries fall from the vines and rise to the top. They are then harvested. Now a days they are harvested by machines. Sometimes the berries are bruised. This lead to canned cranberry jelly. Ocean Spray began canning jelly in 1912.

The canned Cranberry Jelly became a Thanksgiving icon.

I love Cranberry Jelly. It adds so much to the turkey and stuffing.

Besides Cranberry Sauce or Jelly, one can make many things with cranberries.

Cranberry Crunch

1 cup uncooked rolled oats
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 cup sugar, brown
1/3 cup butter
1 (1 lb) can cranberry sauce (jellied or whole)

Mix oats, flour and brown sugar. Cut in butter until crumby. Place half of this mixture in an 8 x 8 greased cake pan. Cover with cranberry sauce. Top with balance of mixture. Bake for 45 minutes in 350 degrees. Serve hot in squares topped with scoops of vanilla ice cream.

This is a wonderful dessert for Thanksgiving or any time.

A special roll for Thanksgiving meal, Cranberry Glazed Rolls:

1/4 cup nuts
1/2 cup jellied cranberry sauce
1 cup brown sugar
6 to 8 Brown & Serve Rolls

Grease muffin pans. Sprinkle a few chopped nuts into each. Combine cranberry sauce that has been crushed with a fork and brown sugar. Put a tablespoon of the mixture in each muffin cup. Then turn brown & serve roll upside down and press into each muffin cup. Bake at 400 degrees for 12 to 15 minutes. Let cool for about 5 minutes. Invert pans and gently remove rolls.

For your appetizer for Thanksgiving dinner, Cranberry Fruit Punch

4 cups cranberry juice cocktail
2 cups orange juice
3/4 cup lemon juice
1 cup pineapple juice
1/2 cup sugar
2 cups water

Stir thoroughly and serve over crushed ice or ice cubes. Makes 8 to 11 servings.

You can double this recipe and have punch for your Holiday Party.

Yum! Cranberries! Didn't realize the bruised ones got turned into the canned jelly version we all know and love - and so early as of 1912, too!

Thought I'd share one of my cranberry based recipes - I often make them around Thanksgiving.

Cranberry Orange Bran Muffins

Ingredients
2 cups wheat bran
1⁄2 cup sugar
2 1⁄2 cups flour
2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1⁄3 cup fresh squeezed orange juice (approximately)
1 2⁄3 cups milk
1 -2 tablespoon orange zest
1⁄2 cup applesauce
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs, beaten
3⁄4 cup dried cranberries

Directions

1. Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl.

2. In a separate bowl, squeeze orange juice from orange and combine with enough milk to make 2 cups total. Add zest from orange. Mix in applesauce, vanilla and eggs. Add wet ingredient mixture to dry ingredients and mix well by hand. Stir in cranberries.

3. Divide between muffin tins, and bake at 350°F for 18-20 minutes - makes 24 muffins.

I flipped through Southern Living's Thanksgiving edition at lunch today and found this tasty cranberry inspired salad. Sounds really good...I'm tempted to give it a try this year as its fresh, light and different. Thought I'd share.

New-School Cranberry Salad

We were so inspired by Old-School Cranberry Salad that we created a new version using fresh oranges and pineapple in place of canned and subbing dried cherries for maraschinos.

Yield: Makes 8 to 10 servings

Ingredients

4 cups fresh cranberries
1 cup dried cherries
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup fresh orange juice
1 cup orange segments
1 cup peeled and chopped Bartlett pears (about 2 pears)
1/2 cup chopped fresh pineapple

Preparation

Bring first 4 ingredients and 1/4 cup water to a boil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring often. Reduce heat to medium, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 20 to 25 minutes or until cranberries pop and mixture thickens. Remove from heat, and let stand 15 minutes. Stir in orange segments and remaining ingredients. Transfer to a bowl; cover and chill 2 to 12 hours.

http://www.southernliving.com/food/...side-dishes/new-school-cranberry-salad-recipe

Had a friend who was originally from Maine. A bunch of us had this get together with a whole group of friends at Thanksgiving. She insisted that no canned cranberry sauce would be served at Thanksgiving dinner and made the simple cranberry orange relish, first time I'd ever had it. I've served it every Thanksgiving since then.

1 pkg. cranberries, washed
1 orange, cut in quarters
1 cup sugar

Chop cranberries and orange in food processor. Add sugar, place in a glass bowl and refrigerate for 24 hours before serving. This lasts a few day in the refrigerator.

Had a friend who was originally from Maine. A bunch of us had this get together with a whole group of friends at Thanksgiving. She insisted that no canned cranberry sauce would be served at Thanksgiving dinner and made the simple cranberry orange relish, first time I'd ever had it. I've served it every Thanksgiving since then.

1 pkg. cranberries, washed
1 orange, cut in quarters
1 cup sugar

Chop cranberries and orange in food processor. Add sugar, place in a glass bowl and refrigerate for 24 hours before serving. This lasts a few day in the refrigerator.
My aunt used to make this relish but she used mandarin oranges in it.very tasty.

Cranberries are not only delicious but also extremely healthy! They help against a lot of inflammatory diseases. Look here for more information:
http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=145

I found these tips quite interesting:

A Few Quick Serving Ideas

• Take advantage of cranberries' tartness by using them to replace vinegar or lemon when dressing your green salads. Toss the greens with a little olive oil and then add color and zest with a handful of raw cranberries.
  • To balance their extreme tartness, combine fresh cranberries with other fruits such as oranges, apples, pineapple or pears. If desired, add a little fruit juice, honey or maple syrup to chopped fresh cranberries.
  • For an easy-to-make salad that will immediately become a holiday favorite, place 2 cups fresh berries in your blender along with 1/2 cup of pineapple chunks, a quartered skinned orange, a sweet apple (such as one of the Delicious variety) and a handful or two of walnuts or pecans. Blend till well mixed but still chunky. Transfer to a large bowl.
  • Dice 3-4 stalks of celery, add to the cranberry mixture and stir till just combined.
  • Combine unsweetened cranberry in equal parts with your favorite fruit juice and sparkling mineral water for a lightly sweetened, refreshing spritzer. For even more color appeal, garnish with a slice of lime.
  • Add color and variety to your favorite recipes for rice pudding, quick breads or muffins by using dried cranberries instead of raisins.
  • Sprinkle a handful of dried cranberries over a bowl of hot oatmeal, barley, or any cold cereal.
  • Mix dried cranberries with lightly roasted and salted nuts for a delicious snack.

I've been making this for the last few Thanksgivings. The house smells pretty good while it's simmering.

Cranberry Chutney

1 C water
3/4 C sugar
12 oz cranberries, fresh or dried
1 C apples, peeled and diced
1/2 C raisins
1/2 C cider vinegar
1/2 t cinnamon
1/4 t each of ginger, allspice, and cloves

Mix all and bring to a boil, then simmer for 10 minutes, stirring often.
Pour into a bowl, let cool, and then either serve or refrigerate.

If I could figure out how to unload Thanksgiving onto my sister, and then make this my official dish to bring, I'd be one happy chick!

link to recipe at Allrecipes.com

Last edited:
Here we go!

Pear Cranberry Pie

Ingredients

1 double crust pie recipe
5 cups (about 5) ripe pears, peeled and sliced
2 cups cranberries, fresh or frozen
2 tablespoons flour
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Zest of 1 orange
2 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Roll out first dough disk and transfer to an 8 or 9-inch pie dish.

In a small bowl combine the flour, sugar, cinnamon, and orange zest. In a large bowl, combine the pears and
cranberries. Add the dry ingredients and toss to coat. Place into the prepared bottom crust. Dot with the small pieces of
butter. Top with second crust. Vent.

Place pie on a sheet pan and bake at 400 degree for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 375 degrees and bake until golden
brown and juices are bubbling, about 45 minutes.

Cool completely, serve at room temperature with scoop of vanilla ice cream, or whipped cream.

I've been making this for the last few Thanksgivings. The house smells pretty good while it's simmering.

Cranberry Chutney

1 C water
3/4 C sugar
12 oz cranberries, fresh or dried
1 C apples, peeled and diced
1/2 C raisins
1/2 C cider vinegar
1/2 t cinnamon
1/4 t each of ginger, allspice, and cloves

Mix all and bring to a boil, then simmer for 10 minutes, stirring often.
Pour into a bowl, let cool, and then either serve or refrigerate.

If I could figure out how to unload Thanksgiving onto my sister, and then make this my official dish to bring, I'd be one happy chick!
Here's the plan: Strain (just pretend) your back the week before Thanksgiving and tell your sister, you aren't allowed to lift anything more than 3 lb. for 2 weeks. that way she is stuck with Thanksgiving, but you are okay for Christmas! :whistling:

Yum! Cranberries! Didn't realize the bruised ones got turned into the canned jelly version we all know and love - and so early as of 1912, too!

Thought I'd share one of my cranberry based recipes - I often make them around Thanksgiving.

Cranberry Orange Bran Muffins

Ingredients
2 cups wheat bran
1⁄2 cup sugar
2 1⁄2 cups flour
2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1⁄3 cup fresh squeezed orange juice (approximately)
1 2⁄3 cups milk
1 -2 tablespoon orange zest
1⁄2 cup applesauce
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs, beaten
3⁄4 cup dried cranberries

Directions

1. Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl.

2. In a separate bowl, squeeze orange juice from orange and combine with enough milk to make 2 cups total. Add zest from orange. Mix in applesauce, vanilla and eggs. Add wet ingredient mixture to dry ingredients and mix well by hand. Stir in cranberries.

3. Divide between muffin tins, and bake at 350°F for 18-20 minutes - makes 24 muffins.

That looks delicious!

I have a similar idea for what I'm going to post. Here's a repost of something I posted on a thread I made a few months ago about muffins. My mom always brings these to our Thanksgiving parties at my Aunts and Uncles and they're always a big hit! We got it from my grandmother, who lives in Washington, and ever since, then, they've been a November staple. They taste good warm or cold the next day with butter.

Ingredients:

1 cup chopped raw cranberries
1/2 cup sugar
2 cups sifted flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon soda
1/4 cup sugar
1 egg beaten
3/4 cup buttermilk
4 tablespoons melted shortening

Directions:

1. Chop raw cranberries to measure 1 cup. Combine with 1/2 cup sugar and set aside.

2. Measure flour and sift together with salt, soda, and 1/4 cup sugar. Sift into mixing bowl.

3. Beat egg and combine with buttermilk and melted shortening. Add to dry ingredients, mix lightly until flour disappears. Gently fold into the chopped cranberry mixture.

4. Fill greased muffin tins 2/3s full.

5. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes

And enjoy! Don't know where the recipe came from, I'm copying from an index card, written in beautiful handwriting by my grandma but we've always enjoyed these immensely!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back