CPT Edwin L Curtis, 5th Virginia Infantry ANV, Writes Home About Family, War, Hunger & Politics

April 29th, 1863 CPT Curtis writes of having nothing to do for the summer, and he hopes it to be so, but, by the end of the letter, you will see his handwriting pick up to a hurried pace, as he announces they have been ordered to pack and move. Was this move on to the Chancellorsville battle? Besides writing of the war, he makes a plea for food! I thought of some of my own field time, and felt a kinship when he was writing about how Soldiers are an anomaly of the human race. Truer words have never been written. Even now, Soldiers will still make it happen, even while hungry, wet and cold. I wonder if CPT Curtis celebrated when John Baldwin did not got reelected to the House of Delegates. This letter offers a lot to the reader!

Image (2).jpg

Image (3).jpg

Image (4).jpg

Image (5).jpg

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
Really interesting view of a man soon to be caught up into the whirlwind of combat!
Regards
David
I would say he was already trying to hang on to a whirlwind, having been wounded at Sharpsburg, yet still took command of the regiment, then severely wounded at Fredericksburg. Considering your reply, and rereading this letter, I find it interesting that although injured four months earlier, his letter seems upbeat and optimistic. There are a few letters from enlisted men from this unit. When I get a chance to read them, I will have to see if they are as optimistic.