Cox's Third Division at Kennesaw Mountain

Jerseyman

Cadet
Hello everybody--

I've been trying to clear up some confusion about the Battle of Kennesaw Mountain. I've been trying to learn more about the story of Jacob D. Cox's Third Division during the Atlanta campaign, since I know that I have an ancestor who served in one of the regiments of that Division. I know that this Division didn't see direct combat during Kennesaw Mountain, but it's not very clear to me where that Division was and what they did during the battle. Most accounts of the Battle focus almost totally on Thomas' and MacPherson's armies and not much on Schofield's, of whom Cox's division was a part of.

I'm aware that the most direct combat that Division saw in the Campaign was at Utoy Creek, but I really want to know where that Division's action (or location) was during the battle on June 27, 1864. Any information is appreciated.

Luke Freet

First Sergeant
Forum Host
Hello everybody--

I've been trying to clear up some confusion about the Battle of Kennesaw Mountain. I've been trying to learn more about the story of Jacob D. Cox's Third Division during the Atlanta campaign, since I know that I have an ancestor who served in one of the regiments of that Division. I know that this Division didn't see direct combat during Kennesaw Mountain, but it's not very clear to me where that Division was and what they did during the battle. Most accounts of the Battle focus almost totally on Thomas' and MacPherson's armies and not much on Schofield's, of whom Cox's division was a part of.

I'm aware that the most direct combat that Division saw in the Campaign was at Utoy Creek, but I really want to know where that Division's action (or location) was during the battle on June 27, 1864. Any information is appreciated.
I have not read as much on Kennesaw Mountain as I should, and what reading I've done of the campaign, particularly of Castel's book, has been years ago, so I can't give details.
What I do know is Schofield was operating to the far south trying to outflank the Confederate line, which eventually made Johnston decide to retreat from his position. Honestly the only Union success of the battle.