FL Cow Pen Pond Cemetery

bdtex

Major General
★★ Sr. Moderator
Silver Patron
Annual Winner
Regtl. Quartermaster Chickamauga 2018 Vicksburg 2019
2019-02-03 13.33.23.jpg

About 14 miles northwest of Sneads,Florida, where I have kinfolk, is the small town of Dellwood,Florida. Both towns are in Jackson County,Florida,one of the 2 Florida counties hit hardest by Hurricane Michael last October. My aunt who lives in Sneads,Florida knew/knows where the cemetery is. That's a good thing because Google Maps won't get you there. It is in the sticks. She has an ancestor buried there and wanted to go there so we did last Sunday while my mom and I were visiting our kin last Thursday-Monday. My uncle(mom's brother) and aunt in Sneads are both on disability,have no vehicle and limited resources. Whenever my mother and I visit them,we go places. More on that in another thread. The cemetery itself is in the distance on the left of the picture. You can see some of the damage to the trees caused by Hurricane Michael.

The day before,my aunt told me about the cemetery and I Googled it and found this YouTube video about the cemetery. I watched it and showed it to her and there was even more reason for us to go. She is a Civil War enthusiast also and even though she's lived in that area most of her life,she didn't know about all the history of that cemetery. The video is only 3 minutes long. Give it a watch. Pretty neat.

Here is the FindAGrave link for the cemetery. There are a few pictures of the cemetery there also. The YouTube video and FindAGrave pictures are a lot prettier than when we were there. Our visit was February 3rd(winter) and Hurricane Michael tore the whole county up pretty bad.

https://www.findagrave.com/cemetery/71874/cow-pen-pond-cemetery

According to the YouTube video,there are a number of descendants of Daniel Boone buried there. There are also a number of Confederate veterans buried there. While there,I was kicking myself for not having any grave marker flags with me. I will not make that mistake again on a trip like that.

2019-02-03 12.52.30.jpg

2019-02-03 12.53.36.jpg

2019-02-03 12.54.48.jpg

2019-02-03 12.55.19.jpg

The day before,my aunt told me about the cemetery and I Googled it and found this YouTube video about the cemetery. I watched it and showed it to her and there was even more reason for us to go. She is a Civil War enthusiast also and even though she's lived in that area most of her life,she didn't know about all the history of that cemetery. The video is only 3 minutes long. Give it a watch. Pretty neat.

That beef was very important. Interesting story

The gentleman in the YouTube video,Dale Cox,is a local historian who has written books on the Battle Of Marianna and Battle Of Natural Bridge. I have been in contact with him over the past few months. When I saw the YouTube video last Saturday,I messaged him and told him we were visiting it the next day. We messaged back and forth while we were at the cemetery. There are also Union veterans buried there. They are from the 1st Florida Cavalry(USA). Mr. Cox said that some members of that regiment were Confederate deserters and some were southern Unionists. They all sought safe haven in Pensacola and were trained and armed there and based out of there. I had read that in his book about the Battle Of Marianna. Some of the 1st Florida Cavalry(USA) fought at the Battle Of Marianna. I don't have a complete roster of those who did,so I don't know if those did who are buried at Cow Pen Pond Cemetery. The last gravestone was hardly readable.

2019-02-03 12.58.17.jpg

2019-02-03 13.04.42.jpg

2019-02-03 13.10.46.jpg

2019-02-03 13.15.45.jpg

This is my aunt's ancestor who is buried there. She was ovecome with joy when we found his gravestone. Until fairly recently,she was not aware of his military history. Within the last year,I inspired her to research her ancestry. She has some CW ancestors too.

2019-02-03 13.22.24.jpg

I didn't take a picture of Cow Pen Pond right next to the cemetery and I wish I had tried now. The tree and foliage damage from the hurricane and winter colors made the whole area not too picturesque right now. The pond is really more of a small lake than a pond. Hope to go back there some day in the springtime or late fall after nature has had some time to recover from the hurricane damage.

The gentleman in the YouTube video,Dale Cox,is a local historian who has written books on the Battle Of Marianna and Battle Of Natural Bridge. I have been in contact with him over the past few months. When I saw the YouTube video last Saturday,I messaged him and told him we were visiting it the next day. We messaged back and forth while we were at the cemetery. There are also Union veterans buried there. They are from the 1st Florida Cavalry(USA). Mr. Cox said that some members of that regiment were Confederate deserters and some were southern Unionists. They all sought safe haven in Pensacola and were trained and armed there and based out of there. I had read that in his book about the Battle Of Marianna. Some of the 1st Florida Cavalry(USA) fought at the Battle Of Marianna. I don't have a complete roster of those who did,so I don't know if those did who are buried at Cow Pen Pond Cemetery. The last gravestone was hardly readable.

View attachment 273837

View attachment 273838

View attachment 273839

View attachment 273840
I found unit histories for Florida. I'm looking for them again now. See ya in a few...

Back