"Court martial group, Army of the Cumberland"

chubachus

First Sergeant

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

Michael W.

First Sergeant
Interesting. The second photo is the only one showing commissioned officers. Only commissioned officers would preside over a general court, so I would assume that the pics all show groups of men awaiting court martial. The pic of the officers, makes you wonder if they are presiding over the court, or if they are all officers ALSO awaiting court martial. Would like to know the story behind it...

Irishtom29

First Sergeant
Most of the fellas in the third photo are wearing caps rather than hats and one appears to have a star shaped badge on his chest. I see what might be paper collars too. I wonder if these are 12th Corps guys before their westernization.

ucvrelics

Captain
Forum Host
Yep too many weapons in that group to be under arrest. In a Military Tribunal, the enlisted me were used as bailiffs to bring prisoners back and forth and keep order in the hearing etc just like they do today. The summary court officers were the jury, one would have been prosecutor and one of the officers would be council to the defendant. and the highest ranking officer was the judge.

It almost looks as if the third and fourth photographs are part of a set. The corporsl at the left of the third photo seems to be in the left of the fourth photo, although it is hard to make out due to the damage of the photograph.

And the man in the first one is wearing a star badge of the 12th Corps, at least I think.

The officers all seem to be Captains and Lieutenants. Could it be company officers and regimental staff? If it was taken in 1863/1864, regiments may have been commanded by Captains and companies by Lieutenants due to attrition.

I find it hard that they are men waiting for court martial. There are no guards around them, one man has a bayonet which would be very odd to have if guarding prisoners or awaiting court martial. Photos are sometimes mislabeled by the photograph due to error or someone else.

For example, this photograph
Union_soldiers_entrenched_along_the_west_bank_of_the_Rappahannock_River_at_Fredericksburg,_Vir...jpg

Is often attributed to Matthew Brady and originally captioned as Union Soldiers in the trenches of Petersburg in the spring of 1865, though it actually is taken in May 1863 and depicts Brooks' Division before Fredericksburg.

JPK Huson 1863

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Interesting! You know the Coal Field Wars, at Ludlow? Colorado. Great grandfather was on the tribunal for men under court martial there- photos seem similar. Workers living in ridiculously barbaric conditions finally called a strike- things got bloody when the National Guard was called in. There were horrendous incidents- long story. Men involved were called to account. Anyway, must have been traditional to photograph these groups.

It looks like the top 2 pictures were taken in front of the commissary. The first pic with the moveable chairs has a bread box on end with a fruit or bread roll, and the second pic with the long bench emplacement has 3 mess kits on the serving shelf. None of the men look ragged enough for being detained.
Lubliner.

The men in pictures 3 and 4 are exactly the same guys. In #4 they had them remove their hats for some reason, but same guys in the same positions.

The guys standing on the ends look like they might be provost marshalls in charge of the group. Or they may ALL be provost guards since it appears that the first man seated on the left has a bayonet, as does the man standing on the right and, possibly, the man next to him as well.

It seems possible that in fact this is a squad assigned to the court marshall as guards. The thing that strikes me is that most of them look at the camera quite boldly and with confidence, not at all as you would expect from prisoners.

Perhaps the "dot" is actually a period after Cumberland and just makes it look like an "i" ?
Still misspelled but this is my best guess without context handwriting to compare.
View attachment 295655
Murfreesborough is the scrawl of a quick hand. At least it wasn't one of the surgeons signing the picture; or was it? (accepted spelling at that time.)