Discussion Counting the Confederate Service Records of Black and Mulatto Men

CivilWarTalk

Lieutenant General
- ★★★ -
Managing Member & Webmaster
Welcome to the Discussion thread for Counting the Confederate Service Records of Black and Mulatto Men.

Please keep all discussions here civilized!

If you are interested in seeing the raw information collected for this count, be sure to check out the main thread here:

https://civilwartalk.com/threads/co...vice-records-of-black-and-mulatto-men.142783/
Be sure to check out the "Wrap Up" done by @lelliott19 in Post #1, it gives an accounting of all the records collected as of August 3, 2018. If a new wrap-up is presented we will of course update this post as well!

Evaluation of this data is up to the user!

A spreadsheet is located here.

RedRover

Private
Arms on the march were typically not loaded, so in those cases being "well-armed" has little meaning. Besides, they would likely be closely monitored since to replace a lost or stolen weapon would cost a private more than two months of pay.
Hello.

According to George Baylor of Company B, 12th VA Cavalry, in his 1900 book, "Bull Run to Bull Run" his own camp servants/hostlers were armed, and evidently with captured federal weapons. As he notes:

1622740779538.png

J. Marshall,
Hernando, FL

Last edited:

James N.

Colonel
Forum Host
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Murphy
(not enlisted)
"Servant"
Mabry's Company (E), 19th Georgia Infantry
CSR

Killed in railroad accident, September 17, 1861.

View attachment 404023

View attachment 404028

This is probably the same person though there is a conflict with the date of death. It's in the same file with the other two cards-

View attachment 404031
I'd opine that the simple designation Servant may not be sufficient to claim that Mabry (?) Murphy was black, colored, or mulatto. Since he was apparently or at least possibly Irish or at least of some part Irish descent, servant was a common occupation for (lucky!) Irish emigres; there may be some story here how a likely native of or descendant from the auld sod continued to act as a servant to his employer without necessarily or automatically having been a slave.

Last edited:

Andersonh1

Brigadier General
Although I know this post will be deleted, I'd still like to opine that the simple designation Servant may not be sufficient to claim that Mabry (?) Murphy was black, colored, or mulatto. Since he was apparently Irish or at least of some part Irish descent, servant was a common occupation for (lucky!) Irish emigres; there may be some story here how a likely native of or descendant from the auld sod continued to act as a servant to his employer without necessarily or automatically having been a slave.

Not deleted, just moved to the discussion thread rather than the research thread. It's a fair question to ask.

19thGeorgia

1st Lieutenant
Although I know this post will be deleted, I'd still like to opine that the simple designation Servant may not be sufficient to claim that Mabry (?) Murphy was black, colored, or mulatto. Since he was apparently Irish or at least of some part Irish descent, servant was a common occupation for (lucky!) Irish emigres; there may be some story here how a likely native of or descendant from the auld sod continued to act as a servant to his employer without necessarily or automatically having been a slave.
That's possible. I've seen a few cases, but it's very rare. I've since found out that Berry Murphy was white and from Heard County, GA, but based on the date of death it doesn't appear that he's the same person as Servant Murphy. There's a big problem in researching the 19th GA- for the ten companies there is only one(1) existing muster roll.

19thGeorgia

1st Lieutenant
'Murphy' may have been the servant of Berry Murphy. They were in the same Company E.

19thGeorgia

1st Lieutenant
Interesting...

In reference to this post- https://civilwartalk.com/threads/co...k-and-mulatto-men.142783/page-49#post-2421972

William Gordon - Died of disease ("DOD") October 31, 1864, and buried in Magnolia Cemetery, Charleston, SC.
gordonwm-jpg.jpg

-Broken Fortunes: South Carolina Soldiers, Sailors and Citizens Who Died in the Service of Their Country and State in the War for Southern Independence, 1861-1865, p.135

This is the only William Gordon in Magnolia Cemetery.

Is it the grave of a free black conscript who died on October 31, 1864? or of a member of Company K, 5th SC Cavalry?

There was a William Gordon of Co. K, 5th SC Cav., but he survived the war.

GordonWmGrave.jpg

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/20776316/william-gordon

Last edited:

19thGeorgia

1st Lieutenant
"Ask Historians"

[Question:] "What do you think about this? I sent it to my history professor and he simply took note of it and found it interesting, but this forum [CWT] attempted to find documentation. Granted a few 100 specific data points don't necessarily give you the best picture.

https://civilwartalk.com/threads/co...vice-records-of-black-and-mulatto-men.142783/

It seems to initially run counter the the orthodox narrative, although that does not inherently make it wrong. Its still possible to integrate the data in the thread into the orthodox narrative. I'd argue the data listed there is only a tiny minority since there was no real rush to formalize the status of slaves. The methodology seems strict, and that plays into the results, and does skew the data to me at least. How legitimate is it? In order to avoid trolls, you do need to create an account to see the individual entries, so I apologize in advance."

kevinmichaellevin [Kevin Levin]
[Answer:] "Thanks for sharing, but I tend to resist doing history this way."

No doubt. If you don't want to find something you sure don't look for it.

Link-
https://www.reddit.com/r/AskHistorians/comments/frr6uk

Last edited:

19thGeorgia

1st Lieutenant
This one I'm going to remove until I get better information. I have seen the name 'Salins' associated with free blacks and slaves, but the possibility this person could be a German immigrant is just as great or greater.

Salins Wolfe
Musican
(slave?)
Company A, 1st (Olmstead's) Regiment Georgia Infantry
CSR

Last edited:

lelliott19

Brigadier General
* OFFICIAL *
CWT PRESENTER
Forum Host
Silver Patron
This one I'm going to remove until I get better information. I have seen the name 'Salins' associated with free blacks and slaves, but the possibility this person could be a German immigrant is just as great or greater.

Salins Wolfe
Musican
(slave?)
Company A, 1st (Olmstead's) Regiment Georgia Infantry
CSR
Is it too late for you to edit it? If you want me to delete that entry, please let me know and Ill be happy to. Once you get more information, you can add him back. Also, do I need to renumber from 872 forward?