Discussion Counting the Confederate Service Records of Black and Mulatto Men

CivilWarTalk

Lieutenant General
- ★★★ -
Managing Member & Webmaster
Welcome to the Discussion thread for Counting the Confederate Service Records of Black and Mulatto Men.

Please keep all discussions here civilized!

If you are interested in seeing the raw information collected for this count, be sure to check out the main thread here:

https://civilwartalk.com/threads/co...vice-records-of-black-and-mulatto-men.142783/
Be sure to check out the "Wrap Up" done by @lelliott19 in Post #1, it gives an accounting of all the records collected as of August 3, 2018. If a new wrap-up is presented we will of course update this post as well!

Evaluation of this data is up to the user!

A spreadsheet is located here.

lelliott19

Brigadier General
* OFFICIAL *
CWT PRESENTER
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Wrapping It Up (at least for now)
@jgoodguy started this project exactly 6 months ago today. During that time, entries have been posted for over 700 men, according to the rules he established for this thread. A lot of time has been dedicated to actively seeking the records for black and mulatto men for whom CSA records exist. @19thGeorgia @east tennessee roots @Andersonh1 @AshleyMel and I have decided that it is time for us to return to our own primary research interests, which we have neglected while working on this project. Tonight, we have posted the last of the cards that we had saved.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed data and to those who followed along, clicked the "like" button when you were moved by a particular record, and/or expressed your support for the project. Thank you to those who provided additional information and corrections. We have enjoyed working on this project and felt it important to inform everyone of our "semi-retirement." As I said in another thread the other day, if nothing else has been added to the understanding, at least some underutilized resources have been brought to light.

There are plenty more black and mulatto men with CSA records to be found. We have only worked on a few pages of the Freedmen's Bureau records for one city (Savannah, GA) - which means we have only scratched the surface of what is available. There are many more pages for Savannah and many more Freedmen's Bureau hospital and land records for other cities. While these present exciting "new" resources, those of us who have been working on this project for the last 6 months are unable to dedicate additional time to the project right now.

As we run across carded records for additional men, we may still add them occasionally. But we will no longer actively seek records to post here. We hope that others might continue work on this important project. We will, of course, continue to update the spreadsheet and rank counts periodically.

Thank you again for your interest in the project.
080218.JPG

@unionblue updated rank/detail count

Last edited:

jgoodguy

Banished Forever
-:- A Mime -:-
is a terrible thing...
Don’t feed the Mime
@jgoodguy started this project exactly 6 months ago today. During that time, entries have been posted for over 700 men, according to the rules he established for this thread. A lot of time has been dedicated to actively seeking the records for black and mulatto men for whom CSA records exist. @19thGeorgia @east tennessee roots @Andersonh1 @AshleyMel and I have decided that it is time for us to return to our own primary research interests, which we have neglected while working on this project. Tonight, we have posted the last of the cards that we had saved.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed data and to those who followed along, clicked the "like" button when you were moved by a particular record, and/or expressed your support for the project. Thank you to those who provided additional information and corrections. We have enjoyed working on this project and felt it important to inform everyone of our "semi-retirement." As I said in another thread the other day, if nothing else has been added to the understanding, at least some underutilized resources have been brought to light.

There are plenty more black and mulatto men with CSA records to be found. We have only worked on a few pages of the Freedmen's Bureau records for one city (Savannah, GA) - which means we have only scratched the surface of what is available. There are many more pages for Savannah and many more Freedmen's Bureau hospital and land records for other cities. While these present exciting "new" resources, those of us who have been working on this project for the last 6 months are unable to dedicate additional time to the project right now.

As we run across carded records for additional men, we may still add them occasionally. But we will no longer actively seek records to post here. We hope that others might continue work on this important project. We will, of course, continue to update the spreadsheet and rank counts periodically.

View attachment 199228

I am honored to be mentioned in this work of many hands contributing far more than my contribution. Thanks for all the work!

Rebforever

Lt. Colonel

View attachment 199228
Thank you for a job well done!! :smile coffee: :thumbsup:

unionblue

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Member of the Year

View attachment 199228

Appreciate it.

Sincerely,
Unionblue

Joshism

2nd Lieutenant
My search fu is failing me. Can someone point to me the posts in this thread for the 1 Capt, 2 Lt, and 1 Sgt enumerated in this count?

Likewise, if anyone is known to have already researched more about any of those 4 individuals and this isn't mentioned in the original post that would save me some extra poking around in ye olde genealogy.

Just curious about these particular persons who stand out from all the others by virtue of their ranks.

AshleyMel

Sergeant Major

080218-jpg.jpg
Beautifully put! My contributions were minimal and I do not deserved to be included amongst you all so I am honored and humbled to be mentioned here. As I am continuing my own personal search, I hope to be able give notice to more Southern men like the ones listed. They have their unique place in history and we can only hope to uncover a portion of their story as we research our projects. I have learned so much! I am richer and have a better understanding of my heritage because of this undertaking! I can most assuredly say, this was a beneficial endeavor! Thank you all~

lelliott19

Brigadier General
* OFFICIAL *
CWT PRESENTER
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Recorded as Deserted = 4%
Rank count deserted.JPG
Chart rank deserted of 28.JPG

Recorded as Captured and Prisoners of War = 6.25%
Rank Count captured.JPG
Chart rank of captured POW.JPG

Recorded as Died as POW = 1% of total sample; 16% of those captured
Rank count Died POW.JPG
Chart rank Died POW.JPG

Recorded as Wounded (including mortally) = 5.5%

Rank count wounded.JPG
Chart rank wounded.JPG

Recorded as Died of disease or unknown cause = 3.25%
(Sorry chart should read "Died of disease OR unknown cause")
Rank count died disease.JPG
Chart rank Died of Disease or unknown.JPG

Last edited:

lelliott19

Brigadier General
* OFFICIAL *
CWT PRESENTER
Forum Host
Silver Patron
My search fu is failing me. Can someone point to me the posts in this thread for the 1 Capt, 2 Lt, and 1 Sgt enumerated in this count?
I think these were posted "before my time," so I don't have any additional info, but here are the links:
Henry Louis Ray - https://civilwartalk.com/threads/black-confederate-count.142783/page-5#post-1751044
William Beattie - https://civilwartalk.com/threads/black-confederate-count.142783/page-10#post-1758984
William T. Jones - https://civilwartalk.com/threads/black-confederate-count.142783/page-5#post-1751412
Edward Bertrand - https://civilwartalk.com/threads/black-confederate-count.142783/page-37#post-1831379

19thGeorgia

1st Lieutenant

Likewise, if anyone is known to have already researched more about any of those 4 individuals and this isn't mentioned in the original post that would save me some extra poking around in ye olde genealogy.

Just curious about these particular persons who stand out from all the others by virtue of their ranks.
People had differing ideas about who to include or not include - whether it was the PACS, servants or militia (one of the lieutenants was in the militia). There was no particular group established by the OP. The ones I posted were in the PACS (Provisional Army) except for a few non-enlisted men.

jgoodguy

Banished Forever
is a terrible thing...
Don’t feed the Mime
People had differing ideas about who to include or not include - whether it was the PACS, servants or militia (one of the lieutenants was in the militia). There was no particular group established by the OP. The ones I posted were in the PACS (Provisional Army) except for a few non-enlisted men.
No particular group was a feature of the count.

I will add to the count posts following the rules on an ad hoc basis going toward.

I plan to do a thread for investigation into potential combatants using a subset of this data for the hard core BC folds after I have dug a deep enough bunker to survive the incoming.

Stiles/Akin

Sergeant Major
John Carroll had a Georgia Civil War Commission meeting today in Madison Ga. Afterwards I stopped to pay my respects to these soldiers who died in hospitals here during the Atlanta Campaign. There are three Confederates of Color buried here who served as hospital stewards. These men are buried in two small plots. One contains twenty four graves and across the railroad track the larger plot contains fifty one, many of them known but to God.
38404705_10216921670776923_944417545513861120_o.jpg

38471806_10216921675297036_1106556413523525632_n.jpg

5fish

Captain
Thanks for you citation:

View attachment 203095

So there were these 3,000 men. Of that, "some 1,500" were in the LA Native Guard; according to he above, "Notably, the entire time of service for the 1st Louisiana Native Guard was spent in drills and parades." The remaining 1,500 "joined various 'colored military units" whose locations and activities are not identified. Could they have been dedicated non-combatants, for example? Don't know.

That does add important context.

- Alan

It gets better they end up fighting for the Union at the battle of Port Hudson...

http://www.thepineywoods.com/CivilWarMay13.htm

Joshism

2nd Lieutenant

jgoodguy

Banished Forever
is a terrible thing...
Don’t feed the Mime
This is a pretty unwhelming group. 3 are from Louisiana - two definitely Creoles. The one not from LA was mulatto who pretty clearly passed as white.
Even the Black in Black Confederates is not defined concisely.