Could use a some help on a few photos

whatwar

Cadet
First off I would like to say this is a great site! I recent got a few photos and the men appear to look familiar but I am not certain of who they could be any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Doesn't the stamp help date the photo? Read somewhere that the stamp wasn't used before 1864, or some such date.

I remember reading something....but I'll leave it to one of the more knowledgeable folks who will undoubtedly appear like the Lone Ranger to the rescue.:hungry:

Thanks guys..figured I give it a long shot but I did find this one could be? Whatca think?

Doesn't the stamp help date the photo? Read somewhere that the stamp wasn't used before 1864, or some such date.
Faced with the financial demands of the Civil War, our Federal government issued the Revenue Act of 1862. This Act created ways to raise new revenue, as well as formed the Department of Internal Revenue. Nearly every kind of document was taxed (including deeds, insurance policies, telegrams, stock certificates, etc) and what were considered luxuries (such as playing cards, liquor, tobacco, matches, perfume.) Revenue stamps were designed to affix to these various items proving that the tax had been paid. Not enough!
An act of Congress passed on June 30, 1864 placed a new tax on "photographs, ambrotypes, daguerreotypes or any other sun-pictures." Photographers were required to affix a properly denominated revenue stamp on the back of the image and cancel it by initialing and dating it in pen. There was not a special stamp created for photography, thus you will see stamps on images for Bank Checks, Playing Cards, Certificates, Bill of Lading, etc. These were accepted by the Federal Government as long as the denomination was appropriate.

Thanks you are correct!

Revenue stamps were only used on "sun pictures," or in other words, photos, between 01 Aug 1864 and 01 Aug 1866 in the US and those parts of the CS that were under US occupation.
2 cents means the CDV cost a quarter or less.

Thanks correction 2 & 5 (not #4 as mentioned above) are playing card size (cardboard type stock) and the others are locket gems (metal)

Thanks correction 2 & 5 (not #4 as mentioned above) are playing card size (cardboard type stock) and the others are locket gems (metal)
Playing card size and cardboard would seem to indicate that they are "cabinet cards" and that would date them around early 1870's to 1924.

Thanks for all the info...you guys have been great!
(I took down the pic since they are in actual civil war men :unsure:)

Back