Could use a little help for a friend...

kel1985

1st Lieutenant
One of the guys I used to work with knows I'm very much into the ACW. His wife found a family picture in a box, we know who he is and (roughly) where from. I can't tell if this is a Union militia uniform or some type of Confederate uniform.
His name is Samuel Wesley Hone and was from West Virginia.
His picture is attached.
Any input or additional information that anybody could find would be massively appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
IMG_3543.jpg

I found a Samuel Hone listed as a CW soldier serving in the US Army, but there is no information on where he was from or age, so you'd need to do some legwork to confirm if it was the same guy.

Based on the information lupaglupa provided, if he served in the CW, he would have been quite young when he enlisted.

Actually, I retract all that. I dug around on Fold3, and I think the guy with Civil War service may have been from Ireland, and his enlistment may have predated the war.

I found your friend's ancestor's enlistment, and it matches what lupaglupa posted, so it seems like his service was all post-war. I attached the page with his information--for some reason, I couldn't grab a PDF and could only get an image file. His information is 4th from the bottom. He enlisted in Pittsburgh and served 5 years, ending his service in Ft. Sanders Wyoming.

Fold3_Page_22.jpg

Were Ferdinand and Mary Hone the parents of this Samuel Wesley Hone? And did he have brothers Joseph and Ferdinand? If so, he was enumerated in the 1850 and 1860 US census as born in 1837/1838 in VA. The family was living in Jefferson County (1850) and Mason County (1860) Virginia. Those two counties are right next to one another, near Falls Church and Arlington, VA. Is it possible that this is the Samuel you are looking for? perhaps he moved to West Virginia after the war?

Were Ferdinand and Mary Hone the parents of this Samuel Wesley Hone? And did he have brothers Joseph and Ferdinand? If so, he was enumerated in the 1850 and 1860 US census as born in 1837/1838 in VA. The family was living in Jefferson County (1850) and Mason County (1860) Virginia. Those two counties are right next to one another, near Falls Church and Arlington, VA. Is it possible that this is the Samuel you are looking for? perhaps he moved to West Virginia after the war?
That's interesting! If it's not him, maybe a namesake/older relative?

@kel1985 I think to get better info we need more facts. The name alone is giving us the post-war info (and that register @Zella posted does say he was born in Preston County, West Virginia, just south of the PA line). I don't know who to link that can judge the uniform - anyone out there able to say if this is noticeably a Union uniform from a certain era?

The photo of soldier Hone is 1871 - 1876 in his Indian Wars uniform. I believe @Zella is correct and that Hone served on the western frontier having enlisted in 1871 for five years. He served with the 2nd U. S. Cavalry.

From pages 446 -447:

"...The scouting party commanded by Lieut. F. W. Sibley,
of Troop E, 2d Cavalry, July 6-9, 1876, was made up of
picked men from different troops of the 2d Cavalry, together
with a few scouts and volunteers, as follows : Sergeants G
P. Harrington, Oscar R. Cornwell, William R. Cooper,
Charles W. Day ; Corporal Thomas C. Warren ; Privates
Daniel E. Munger, Hugh J. Green, George Robinson, Will-
iam P. Egan, Henry Oakey, Martin Mahon, George Rhode,
George Watts, Samuel W. Hone, James Dorr, George A.
Stone, Joseph Ward, William J. CroUey, William J. Dough-
erty, Valentine Rufus, Jacob Rheind, Harry G. Collins,
Charles L. Edwards, Patrick Hasson, William H. Hills.
Volunteers : J. Becker, alias '' Trailer Jim," and John F.
Finerty, correspondent for the Chicago Times. Guides and
Scouts : F. Gruard and Baptiste Pourier."

The photo of soldier Hone is 1871 - 1876 in his Indian Wars uniform. I believe @Zella is correct and that Hone served on the western frontier having enlisted in 1871 for five years. He served with the 2nd U. S. Cavalry.

From pages 446 -447:

"...The scouting party commanded by Lieut. F. W. Sibley,
of Troop E, 2d Cavalry, July 6-9, 1876, was made up of
picked men from different troops of the 2d Cavalry, together
with a few scouts and volunteers, as follows : Sergeants G
P. Harrington, Oscar R. Cornwell, William R. Cooper,
Charles W. Day ; Corporal Thomas C. Warren ; Privates
Daniel E. Munger, Hugh J. Green, George Robinson, Will-
iam P. Egan, Henry Oakey, Martin Mahon, George Rhode,
George Watts, Samuel W. Hone, James Dorr, George A.
Stone, Joseph Ward, William J. CroUey, William J. Dough-
erty, Valentine Rufus, Jacob Rheind, Harry G. Collins,
Charles L. Edwards, Patrick Hasson, William H. Hills.
Volunteers : J. Becker, alias '' Trailer Jim," and John F.
Finerty, correspondent for the Chicago Times. Guides and
Scouts : F. Gruard and Baptiste Pourier."
I knew somebody was out there! Thanks @connecticut yankee

Back