Could the CSA have realistically defended New Orleans?

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

Bruce Vail

1st Lieutenant
The greater the cost of exporting cotton is to the Confederacy the more it helps the Union.
Obviously not much cotton was rerouted because well over one hundred thousand West European cotton workers were laid off.
Leftyhunter
Quite so. I am not arguing that the seizure of New Orleans by the federals was without military value. I am merely observing that it is a gross exaggeration to say the loss of N.O. suddenly made Southern cotton "essentially useless."

Lost Cause

2nd Lieutenant
Lefty,
That is actually incorrect. The fort was considered weakened after the lengthy bombardments. The reported abandonment due to contaminated water “not stench” came later after the war, and was not listed in the ORs. The fort/island sustained significant erosion. Again, relevancy?

leftyhunter

Colonel
Quite so. I am not arguing that the seizure of New Orleans by the federals was without military value. I am merely observing that it is a gross exaggeration to say the loss of N.O. suddenly made Southern cotton "essentially useless."
It took a big portion of Confederate cotton off the market. Cotton was still valuable but without the port of New Orleans a lot less cotton could be exported.
Leftyhunter

leftyhunter

Colonel
Lefty,
That is actually incorrect. The fort was considered weakened after the lengthy bombardments. The reported abandonment due to contaminated water “not stench” came later after the war, and was not listed in the ORs. The fort/island sustained significant erosion. Again, relevancy?
Again a distinction without a difference. Per the Memoirs of Co Gener Hagwood (sp) the constant bombardment unearthed the dead bodies of the Union dead thus making Battery Wagner untenable for the Confederacy.
I will check later on how Battery Wagner got into this thread it was a long time ago.
Leftyhunter

gary

Captain
Not defending it spared the city from the destruction other cities faced. To defend it the Confedertes had t control the river. For that it needed a working ironclad that could repel Farragut.