"Cottonport" location?

Good morning,
There's been mention of this here on CWT going back 8 years ago, but I was just wondering if anyone knows the exact location of the early town of "Cotttonport" that's close to present day Mooresville, Alabama. What I do know is that it contains significance as a early pioneer town, civil war, abandoned "ghost" town, etc. I have a general idea of it's location but it seems it's exact location is subject to speculation. Thank you, Steve

12.jpg
13.jpg
14.jpg

https://books.google.com/books?id=2-9dDwAAQBAJ&pg=PA109&dq=Cottonport,+Alabama&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj7_O6-1srfAhWMwFkKHQAKAhcQ6AEIMDAB#v=onepage&q=Cottonport, Alabama&f=false

HTHs,
USS ALASKA

Prior to and during the Civil War, many of the occupants of the area North of the Tennessee River saw themselves as living more in Tennessee than in Alabama.

USS ALASKA, yes sir. I've seen all that. Like everything else I've found, it only gives an approximation of it's location, not to mention the confusion of direction stated on the marker itself. It just vexes me at how little records and other information was kept about this early town. I will say that I do know the area very well having hunted all over it for many years. It's exact location is still a mystery - even to the locals. You would think that some of it's decendants would have info or something. Re: the "lost cemetery" in the article - if the ALDOT says it relocated 195 graves in 1968, I can assure you the cemetery was double that in capacity. I speculate they hit the town's graveyard (and they did) that was located of the outskirts of town with the actual town being slightly east along the river going towards the mouth of Limestone Creek and perhaps down closer to the original river channel pre-TVA of course. If this is true, the town is at least partially submerged. Which can explain some of it's elusiveness. But that's merely my guess. I'm hoping someone will chime in with some nuggets. Thank you, Steve

Yes sir. And I do believe therein lies the answer. It's at the point where the (3) creeks meet and is now all under the water of the Limestone Bay. Which would explain a lot of things.

Back