"Cotton Mill" Military Prison, Madison, GA

slowe210

Cadet
Does anyone else have any ancestors that were held as prisoners (Union) or who were serving as guards (Confederate) at the Madison Military Prison, often called the Cotton Mill Prison? My 4th Great Uncle was held there as a civilian "Political Prisoner" and died in the prison. I would be interested in details of the prison and prison life if available. Thanks.

Does anyone else have any ancestors that were held as prisoners (Union) or who were serving as guards (Confederate) at the Madison Military Prison, often called the Cotton Mill Prison? My 4th Great Uncle was held there as a civilian "Political Prisoner" and died in the prison. I would be interested in details of the prison and prison life if available. Thanks.

Where was this prison located? Neither name is showing up on author Lonnie R. Speer's (Portals to Hell - Military Prisons of the Civil War) list of prisons.

lupaglupa

2nd Lieutenant
Forum Host
Unfortunately I haven't found a really good source for records from Confederate prisons - Union prison records, though not searchable, are online at FamilySearch. There was a thread here at CWT about the prison in Madison some years ago and it contains a link to some prison records -

Disregard my question in regards to location. I didn't notice that you had it in your thread title until just now. Too much Christmas "spirits" last night.

lupaglupa

2nd Lieutenant
Forum Host
So I see @slowe210 that in your other thread on this same topic that you have this document linked. There are two diaries written by men held in the prison - Levi Crowell and Frank Hughes. Those might give you some information on what life was life for the men held imprisoned there. The Crowell diary is in a book -

The Hughes diary was printed in part in a historical magazine -