Correct location of insignia on bummer cap?

foudufoot

Cadet
Hi All, I just received my bummer cap from C&C sutlery and am unsure where to place the insignia. I am inclined to place the bugle in the center of flat top, and the company letter above it. I can place the regimental number below the bugle or inside the bugle loop with smaller numbers.

Does anyone know what the 13th US Infantry Regiment did or what was "regulation"? TIA

The regulation was basically just the branch of service insignia, (hunter's horn for infantry) on the cap. Regimental numbers, company letters and so on on every cap and hat is more or less a reenactorism. It happened, but it wasn't common.

Most common would basically be leave it without any insignia.

The regulation was basically just the branch of service insignia, (hunter's horn for infantry) on the cap. Regimental numbers, company letters and so on on every cap and hat is more or less a reenactorism. It happened, but it wasn't common.

Most common would basically be leave it without any insignia.
These guys went all the way...:smile:

civilwarsoldierspd-e1543938774320.jpg

These guys went all the way...:smile:

View attachment 397353

Heh, game on:
These guys didn't

1618170375017.png

1618170461272.png

1618170555623.png

1618170606551.png

You'll see a lot of Corps Badges on caps, but very little brass after 1861-1862. Brass hat insignia was plenty on new enlistees, and soldiers far away from the front line, but very little in the field.

I wish it wasn't so since the brass stuff is so cool, but it is what it is I reckon.

Does anyone know what the 13th US Infantry Regiment did or what was "regulation"? TIA
The 13th Regulars (1 battalion) paid a visit to my town on Sherman's train. Check out the Battle of Collierville.

I like to add regiment numbers to my Confederate kepi. I was told the regulation said it should be placed on the sweatband above the bill but that is usually where the buckle is located. Again, this was seldom done. And I do this just for display as I'm not doing any reenacting.

Heh, game on:
These guys didn't

View attachment 397368

View attachment 397369

View attachment 397370

View attachment 397371

You'll see a lot of Corps Badges on caps, but very little brass after 1861-1862. Brass hat insignia was plenty on new enlistees, and soldiers far away from the front line, but very little in the field.

I wish it wasn't so since the brass stuff is so cool, but it is what it is I reckon.
Greetings . I have come across info years ago that the top pic. you posted is of troops in the First New Jersey Brigade. Are you aware of who the troops in the picture are ? Thanks .

Heh, game on:
These guys didn't

View attachment 397368

View attachment 397369

View attachment 397370

View attachment 397371

That makes a lot of sense. Not only did supplies get scarcer as the war advanced, why use brass on caps when you can make cartridges? I can also imagine that anything shiny reflecting the sun would help with targeting. When I do see the regimental number, it is often inside the horn circle. But I've seen that both on the top and front of the bummer cap. Not much consistency in location, or presence, as far as I can tell. I suspect the insignia were primarily for dress occasions and pictures. Thanks for you thoughts.

The photo of the USCT is actually regulation, number inside the horn. That said you see endless variations in original pieces and photos so there's really no right or wrong. The brass did become less and less as it went on so leaving the cap unadorned is perfectly fine also. And don't forget the corps. badge that became widely used also so that's another option and variation. And the proper term for that style cap is a forage cap. Hope you get lots of good use with your new cap!

I wish people who say "Regulation" would check what the 1861 US Army Regulations actually says before posting information.

When you do, you'll find the following:

FORAGE CAPS (note: this is the official Army term, not "bummer's caps".)

1493. For fatigue purposes, forage caps, of pattern in the Quartermaster-General's office: dark blue cloth, with a welt of the same around the crown, and yellow metal letters in front to designate companies.

1494. Commissioned officers may wear forage caps of the same pattern, with the distinctive ornament of the corps or regiment in front.

(this can be found in many places on line, I'm quoting this one)

http://www.unionvolunteers.com/uv/FILES/USMANUALS/Union Volunteers - REVISED UNITED STATES ARMY REGULATIONS OF 1861.pdf

Notice the words "in front". This means the company letter is to be worn on the BAND of the cap, NOT on the circular crown -- according to regulation. And that's all there is - leave the branch of service insignia, regimental number and for Heaven's sake the eagle, cord and feathers for your regulation dress HAT.

Now as we all know - Americans of all generations in all wars have thought the most fun can be had with unimportant regulations by disregarding them. (Of course one's officers and NCOs may have a different view.) But as the photos previously posted show, this regulation was often honored principally "in the breach". Still, please don't spread misinformation by calling a practice "regulation" when it clearly was not.

(P.S. I first discovered this as a 12 year old kid interested in painting military miniatures. Why grown men presuming to be reenactors can't seem to find it still eludes me...)

As noted above, the only authorized brass on the forage cap was the company letter. This makes sense when you think of the original purpose of the forage cap as a work cap for fatigue duties. It wasn´t meant to be a dress hat or a go-to-war hat. Then it was utilized as a go-to-war hat. You see every possible combination. Corps badges, once instituted, were very popular and the men were very proud of them. That´s an option to think about too.
For reenacting purposes, often less is more. You´re frequently falling in with a bunch of different units and it does look a little odd when every other soldier has different numbers on his hat. Plain avoids that problem. Also, the hat will fade around the brass in about a season or so, making it really obvious if you take it off to change units or impressions. I´ve never put anything on my caps except a corps badge when appropriate. I have several in my sewing kit and just tack on the one we need.

Hello and welcome! I always just used the hunting horn. If anything at all. Send a pic on what you decide!

Here is an image of a kepi worn by a soldier of the 116th Pa of the Irish Brigade fame. Notice the bullet hole he got during the Battle of the Wilderness. But he had numerals and letters on his cap. BTW, he was unharmed.

116thirish.jpg

I think some of the confusion around hat brass results, both nowadays and perhaps during the war, from a confusion or conflation of the regulations between the har brass on the dress hat (aka Hardee) and the forage cap.

Generally, I think sewing the insignia to the crown of the cap makes the most sense, and seems to have been fairly common. That was what I chose to go with, using the branch insignia since when we reenact we are sometimes called on to be generic units rather than specific ones.

Last edited:
Back